Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republican Convention Ends

joc

Curious if anyone who was still unsure of what to think about President Bush had their minds tilted in favor by the Republican Convention. If so what? Or just your comments either way are welcome.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Druidus

• Talon

• alis

Top Posters In This Topic

It was OK.

Bush did a pretty good job with his speech, much better than any other speech I have seen him do in the past. I think a lot of that credit should go to his speech writers; they gave him good stuff to work with.

Much like every candidates speech it is well crafted and speaks mainly in generalities and sound-bite length quotables that folks can hold onto...

I came to the conclusion years ago that I was going to quit giving so much weight to what candidates say, and paying more attention to what they do. Ultimately they can say anything that they want in these speeches and it doesn't mean anything, it is what they do that is more important to me.

Neither kerry or Bush write their own material(No high level politician actually), it is all crafted by people who take an outline of what the candidate wants to say and then they put it into words and phrases that test well among their target market. It is all a matter of PR and marketing minded people coming together to create a speech that sounds wonderful and powerful and something that people can grab onto...

My wife has actually done this type of creative endevour not only for politicians, but also for business leaders as well. It is interesting to see how these things come together.

Anyway, If he can do what he says he can do that would be wonderful. I would have to look into it further, but it seems like he was aiming to fund many things(Education/Health care), but yet didn't mention how he was going to fund those things. With the economy in the condition it is, and 200+ billion going to Iraq at least, I don't see how he thinks he can pull that off without raising taxes...

Much like after the DNC, when it was over I looked at my wife, shrugged my shoulders and said "everybody sounds the same..."

It struck me how much the republican party has changed in the past few decades. It seems like even the most hard core republican is far more liberal than in years past...As much as the dems and republicans bicker back and forth, they are starting to look more and more alike from my Libertarian point of view.

Bush did give a good speech but I'll still vote against him. I can't support the decisions he makes.

Did ya see him almost break into tears near the end?

'I WILL BUILD SAFER WORLD'

George Bush has formally accepted the Republican presidential nomination - telling the American people he will build a "safer world" if re-elected to the White House.

He told the Republican National Convention in New York he was the best man to lead the nation in the fight against international terrorism.

"I believe the most solemn duty of the American president is to protect the American people," he said after formally accepting his nomination as the party's presidential candidate.

"If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch.

"I am running for President with a clear and positive plan to build a safer world and a more hopeful America."

Mr Bush began his speech, which lasted just over an hour at Madison Square Garden in New York, with his memories of the terror attacks of September 11.

He said: "Three days after September 11th, I stood where Americans died, in the ruins of the twin towers.

"Since that day, I wake up every morning thinking about how to better protect our country. I will never relent in defending America whatever it takes."

"So we have fought the terrorists across the earth not for pride, not for power, but because the lives of our citizens are at stake."

The first half of the speech focused on the domestic agenda, while the second half was on foreign policy.

Several times he criticised Democrat presidential candidate John Kerry, accusing him of failing to back funding for soldiers at war in Iraq.

:: Around 1,800 people have been arrested on the surrounding streets since the weekend - a record for a political convention.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13211974,00.html

I think Zell's speech was hilarious! He acted like some sort of crazed lunatic! And then in the interview afterwards:

Reporter: Do you really think that Kerry would defend the country with spitballs?

Zell: Well... It's a metaphor.

Reporter: Something I can't remember.

Zell: I knew you would ask these questions!

Reporter: *stunned look on face* What?

Zell: Get out of my face!

Reporter: *Even more stunned look on face* *Try's to say something but is cut off*

Zell: I wish that I lived in the time where I could challenge you to a DUEL!

Zell said a lot of other half-crazy stuff while raving, practically yelling it.

lol! laugh.gif

Anyway, I'm sad the convention is over. I was having to much fun laughing at the idiots making speeches. w00t.gif

I think Zell's speech was hilarious!  He acted like some sort of crazed lunatic!  And then in the interview afterwards:

Reporter:  Do you really think that Kerry would defend the country with spitballs?

Zell:  Well...  It's a metaphor.

Reporter:  Something I can't remember.

Zell:  I knew you would ask these questions!

Reporter: *stunned look on face*  What?

Zell:  Get out of my face!

Reporter:  *Even more stunned look on face*  *Try's to say something but is cut off*

Zell:  I wish that I lived in the time where I could challenge you to a DUEL!

Zell said a lot of other half-crazy stuff while raving, practically yelling it.

lol!  laugh.gif

Anyway, I'm sad the convention is over.  I was having to much fun laughing at the idiots making speeches.  w00t.gif

254221[/snapback]

, i saw tht on the daily show, tht was hilarious

Around 1,800 people have been arrested on the surrounding streets since the weekend - a record for a political convention.

Maybe a record number, but is it a record percentage? I heard there was as many as 250000 people protesting? Anyway, people are smart. Groups of people are stupid. Seeing as how stuff like this happened... I think maybe the cages were a good idea initially, but they overkilled it. They barricaded the people inside, and I think the optimal solution would be to make it a law, agreed upon by both candidates so theres no accusations thrown, where certain areas are restricted to protesters, and anyone outside and protesting will get arrested and fined.

ok now i'm reading the actual transcript and its nothing like the whacky rant you just presented Druidus

/gg

Click here for transcript

what i'm reading is Mathews (the reporter) trying to talk over Miller, and Miller harkening back to the good old days when you could deal with the bullies:)

as him talking about how Mathews didn't geve some woman a chance to speak in some other interview...at least thats what i got from the transcript

Edited by bathory

GO BUSH GO!!!!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

GO BUSH GO!!!!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

Hey, I can't help it, I like the guy!!! thumbsup.gif

Zell is very popular here now!

BUSH BUSH BUSH thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Im for Bush all the way.

On a side note i was talking to a friend of mine yesterday he said he was going to vote for whoever lied the most or the best. So i asked him who he was voting for he said Kerry.