Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still don't get with the " EMF ghost thing"

jonas16

I still don't get this. Many Paranormal Investigators have these EMF Detectors, scanning a corridor etc. I even have one myself. I really need some advice on this. Can EMF Detectors really track ghostly entities?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhyknow

• MasterPo

• coldethyl

• jonas16

I still don't get this. Many Paranormal Investigators have these EMF Detectors, scanning a corridor etc. I even have one myself. I really need some advice on this. Can EMF Detectors really track ghostly entities?

They track flucuations in the EMF field. This can be caused by many things. The theorize that it is a ghost collecting energy to manifest.

However the EMF also tends to go off because of electrical input too. You can't always trust it

Jonas16

The speculation is this, ghosts or entities are energy that can be detected. When the EMF detector gives a false read it may be reading faulty wiring, a breaker box or anything else that emits a strong signal. That is why you should always sweep the area that you are trying to read to determine a base line reading for the room or structure. If for instance you are doing a room and there is a strong reading at one end determine if there are wires or whatnot in that area if not then you might be on to something.

Regards,

Mabon.

I'm a bit unimpressed by EMF meters, myself.

It is not known what energy a ghost or spirit uses to manifest - it could be the electro-magnetic field, but equally it could draw upon other or many forms.

To my knowledge, nobody has ever categorically linked EMF fluctuations to direct apparitions, so it's open to interpretation at this stage.

I think paranormal shows probably cash in on their impact as a visual tool or a prop to set mood... :geek:

Edited by Loonboy

What you say Loonboy is a good argument.

That is why if there is any credit to it at all someone who wants to use a piece of equipment should do a baseline reading of the area. That way you at least have a starting point.

This is just my opinion of course.

You won't know for certain if you've 'encountered' a ghost by reading it with an EMF detector but you could have reason to believe that something was out of wack!

That and document the base line readings and other readings. Take notes, take notes oh did I say take notes! and then write down the experiences while they are fresh keep a journal that way you can see if there are patterns even if the location is different.

Regards,

Mabon.

It's also good to know if you have EMF's in the area because they can mess with the brain and cause the feelings that people describe when encountering ghosts. If you're detector isn't picking up any strong EMF's and you're feeling a presence, no one can blame it on EMF's--so a detector can be used as an elemination tool.

It's also good to know if you have EMF's in the area because they can mess with the brain and cause the feelings that people describe when encountering ghosts. If you're detector isn't picking up any strong EMF's and you're feeling a presence, no one can blame it on EMF's--so a detector can be used as an elemination tool.

I once saw a documentary where they proved that strong electromagnetic fields can make people hallucinate. They also showed how many old buildings, especially made out of stone, have strong electromagnetic fields due to the stones rubbing together. Many people believe that old, stone buildings are haunted, like old castes or old homes. It was an interesting theory.

I believe it causes a lot more 'hauntings' than it gets credit for. That and infrasound.

What's infrasound?

They're low or high frequency soundwaves that we can't hear. Think of it as a dog whistle frequency.

Anyways, they cause our skin to crawl and the hair to stand up on the back of our necks, giving the impression of a haunting type situation

Infrasound can also cause uncomfortable sensations, the feeling of being watched, hallucinations in the corner of the eye, and auditory hallucinations.

And besides dog whistles, where does infrasound come from?

And besides dog whistles, where does infrasound come from?

It's a natural occurance and it can come from vibrations created from large fans (for example).

Here's a link.

Now that is pretty cool. I wonder what would happen if such tones were used in relaxation music or trance. Hmmmm.

The person would usually get the feeling of being watched etc. I don't think it would be appropriate for the use of meditational uses, just because of the effects it creates

I would say having a good thermometer can tell if there's a ghost or spirit around. One characteristic of hauntings and paranormal activity is a sudden drop in temperature. Of course, not that i'm saying this is a fail-safe way to tell if there's a ghost around or not, far from it. I think it's a bit more reliable than an EMF meter though.

I don't think any one single piece of equipment can be used as definative proof of a ghost, even photographs or video. Certianly not EMF or thermal. Too many variables. That's why in the thread about equipment I emphasized so much about understanding the equipment, the limitations, and how to read it.

But if you get unusual EMF and/or thermal readings while also getting something on video, photo, audio etc. then altogether that paints a more likely picture of the presence of an entity. And if you can repeat the finds over several investigations to the same location (not always possible to return several times) that adds more credibility to the conclusion.

Ditto what Cold said about EMF and infrasound causing halucinations and uneasiness. Microwave energy too.

But if you get unusual EMF and/or thermal readings while also getting something on video, photo, audio etc. then altogether that paints a more likely picture of the presence of an entity. And if you can repeat the finds over several investigations to the same location (not always possible to return several times) that adds more credibility to the conclusion.

IMO, this is an error too many people make. "My EMF detector went off, so I snapped my camera, and I got an ORB, ergo, this MUST be a ghost". Too much of a leap. Sloppy investigation skills, IMO. Even if it is repeated. If you can repeat it, it actually more likely indicates a high EMF due to some normal occuring event or appliance, etc. NOT a ghost.

People are using EMFs to "detect ghosts". It is not a ghost detector, it is an EMF detector. It ONLY detects EMF. For some reason, people believe that ghosts emit EMF's.

IMO, this is an error too many people make. "My EMF detector went off, so I snapped my camera, and I got an ORB, ergo, this MUST be a ghost". Too much of a leap. Sloppy investigation skills, IMO. Even if it is repeated. If you can repeat it, it actually more likely indicates a high EMF due to some normal occuring event or appliance, etc. NOT a ghost.

Depends what the EMF reading is. Again, it goes back to my point of knowing the equipment. Consider a digital EMF. It has a display range of 0.00 to 199.9. Pretty much anything above 10.0 is most likely from an artificial source. So if you get a reading of say 75 that's most likely a power line or some machinary. Also, paranormal EMF readings tend to fluctuate while artificial readings hold pretty steady at the same very high levels.

It also goes back to what I said about repeatability. If you go back to the same location and each time you immediately get a reading of 75 in the same spot that's almost certainly an artificial source.

Don't get me started on obs. They've never proven anything to me. ;) But the concept is sound. That is, if you get an unusual EMF reading at the same time/place you have an unusual thermal reading and maybe an EVP or non-orb photo that adds strength to the possibility of a paranormal event. In all cases, unless a ghost comes up to you and shakes your hand, it's very hard to declare some place as paranormally active muchless haunted based on a single investigation.

People are using EMFs to "detect ghosts". It is not a ghost detector, it is an EMF detector. It ONLY detects EMF. For some reason, people believe that ghosts emit EMF's.

To the former, I agree. IMO the K2 meter is a big culprit to that (I can see the flames coming now :unsure2: ).

But to the latter, that's the theory we (meaning all paranormal investigators) are testing. Not that the ghost itself emitts EMF but that ghosts/spirits/entities are at least in part made up of energy, possibly electrically based. Or they give off energy or concentrate energy when they try to manifest themselves. It is this energy that creates an electro magnetic field which we are trying to detect. There is too much evidence to say absolutely they don't. Why they sometime do and other times seem not too is still a mystery.

But to the latter, that's the theory we (meaning all paranormal investigators) are testing.

Atta boy. I like that you're putting that forth. Too many "wanna be's" are confused about the actual merit of these tools, and use them improperly. I myself haven't even decided that they do have a respectible place in my kit, but have one for when I decide to actually carry out some testing of my own. My father in law gave it to me as he has a big interest in ufology.

I wonder if the origins of the EMF detector are, like the term "orb"- from ufology. EMF detectors are used in investigations of crop circles.

I wonder if the origins of the EMF detector are, like the term "orb"- from ufology. EMF detectors are used in investigations of crop circles.

Probably similar concept: To test if whatever is creating crop circles leaves behind a higher than normal EMF "signature".

Our group has started borrowing the "lost time" concept theory from UFO research. On an investigation we purposely run two clocks in parallel, one on site and the other back at HQ to see if there is any lost time. Haven't found any significant differences yet. But it's a theory we're testing.

There are very few mechanical or electronic devices specifically made to detect ghosts (kinda hard to make a detector when you don't have a clear understanding of what you're looking for). Most of the devices used in the paranormal field come from other science and engineering disciplines. I don't think that invalidates their use. Just that care has to be used to properly understand the function, limitations, and interpret the readings.

That I didn't know.

It always kind of annoyed me with TAPS, where in one episode they were going nutty because of a fluctuation they caught on the EMF meter. They were running around going "this is proof of paranormal activity here!" when noone thought of the fact that electric wires etc could have caused it.

I don't know where the urban legend came from that ghostly activity=EMF acting weird but i'd sure like to give them a smack <_<