Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twelve Years in Afghanistan

joc

Taliban mock US as Afghan war enters 12th year

photo_1349603062356-1-0.jpg

A US soldier patrols in the area of Ahmadzi village in Muhammad Agah, Logar Province, Afghanistan on October 6. America's longest war entered its 12th year Sunday, with the anniversary marked by a Taliban statement claiming that NATO forces are "fleeing Afghanistan" in "humiliation and disgrace".

AFP - America's longest war entered its 12th year Sunday, with the anniversary marked by a Taliban statement claiming that NATO forces are "fleeing Afghanistan" in "humiliation and disgrace".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A total of 3,199 NATO soldiers have been killed in the war, more than 2,000 of them Americans. Most deaths occurred in the past five years as Taliban attacks escalated, according to icasualties.com [joc edit: this is suppose to be icaualties.org].

This year, official statistics showed that deaths in the Afghan security forces are running five times higher than those for NATO, as the Afghans take on increasing responsibilities before the Western withdrawal.

The US and NATO say Afghan forces will be capable of taking over the fight against the Taliban after 2014, but many analysts predict a bloody new multi-factional civil war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My calculator says that during the Bush Administrations 8 years, there was a total of 1,049 coalition deaths in Afghanistan. Compare that to 2,150 coalition deaths during Obama's 4 years.

I hope we are out very soon. In future if we move into an Islamic country we should follow the rule of the 3 D's : DEPLOY, DESTROY, DEPART.....

There is no reasoning with these people. Action should only be taken in self defense or to harry them so they cannot attack. But when action is taken it should be fast and very painful for them. They seem not to respect anything that does not kill massive numbers of them.

I hope we are out very soon. In future if we move into an Islamic country we should follow the rule of the 3 D's : DEPLOY, DESTROY, DEPART.....

There is no reasoning with these people. Action should only be taken in self defense or to harry them so they cannot attack. But when action is taken it should be fast and very painful for them. They seem not to respect anything that does not kill massive numbers of them.

The more of your posts I read the ore I am convinced that you got beaten up a lot as kid.

• Like 3

The more of your posts I read the ore I am convinced that you got beaten up a lot as kid.

Never once, actually. What an odd remark. With the condescending attitudes you display on nearly every subject, I'd take you for an intellectual snob. But I'm probably wrong also.
  • Like 1

genocide is not a moral position. I thought you learned something from the bible and your Zionist friends.

• Like 1

genocide is not a moral position. I thought you learned something from the bible and your Zionist friends.

Hush, you old codger. Stop being a provocateur when you know I said nothing about anything so evil as genocide. You're being ridiculous.

Love thy enemy. :innocent:

• Like 1

Love thy enemy. :innocent:

Kill thy enemy

Kill them dead

Kill them so their blood flows red

Kill them hard and kill them fast

Kill them till the the very last

When your enemies are dead

Then you have nothing to dread

(sorry, couldn't resist :) )

• Like 1

Kill thy enemy

Kill them dead

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

• Like 1

Kill thy enemy

Kill them dead

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

:o

Let yea who live without sin cast the first stone..

edited to add: made me laugh though..

Edited by Professor T

:o

Let yea who live without sin cast the first stone..

edited to add: made me laugh though..

Kill them all...let God sort them out! :gun:

• Look on the bright side. In the 9 years the USSR was in Afghanistan they lost 14,453 men.

• Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig. He looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal --Winston Chirchill

Kill them all...let God sort them out! :gun:

lol.

And when they all arrive at once and tell him what happened...

AngryGod_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

My thoughts are: If we are not going to kick ass, kill the enemy and win the freaking war...then bring our troops home. And the other thought is: It's late in the fourth quarter and the quatrer back has no plan, no will, no ideas....so....let's either get a new quarter back and kick some frickin' azz or get the hell out.

• Like 2

IMO all western forces should leave and let the Afghan people sort it out. The main issue was that they were harbouring Al Quada, we've pretty much ruined Al Quada's stronghold there. If the Afghan people want the Taliban back there's really nothing the west is going to be able to do about it in the long run.

• Like 1

IMO all western forces should leave and let the Afghan people sort it out. The main issue was that they were harbouring Al Quada, we've pretty much ruined Al Quada's stronghold there. If the Afghan people want the Taliban back there's really nothing the west is going to be able to do about it in the long run.

Perhaps Afghanistan really is where Empires go to die.

There's nothing to keep Al Qaeda from returning to Afghanistan en mass the moment after we leave. And so what? I can't think of a better place for them than a primitive pile of rocks like Afghanistan.

And another 12 years aint going to make any difference,they'll still be at it whether we go or stay.Its unfortunate that our Lads have to die for a lost cause,through desk bound Politicians.

The whole point of Afghanistan is to have troops on Iran's eastern border.

The whole point of Afghanistan is to have troops on Iran's eastern border.

If that's the strategy then we're screwed in a few more months. Most of them are leaving. I know that some here believe that we are interested in invading Iran but I cannot see it. A country with a population of 80+ million? It would make Iraq and Afghanistan seem like fist fights. No way it works that I can imagine...but then I'm a bit dull sometimes ;)

This is what happens when you fight an organization that will do anything they can to win even if it means putting their family, friends, and community in harm's way. These people don't fight in conventional warfare means like using uniforms, bases, formations, brigades, careful planning, protecting civilians, and show of force that usually comes with National Militaries. They wear civilian clothes, use crowds for cover, use suicidal vests, threaten civilians to protect them and harbor them, feed off the hate of collateral deaths, don't care for civilian causalities, and actually try to cause as much damage and death as possible regardless if it military personal or not.

Most military codes doesn't allow for them to fire unless fired upon, even if the militants are standing in front of them without weapons. Also they must walk an razor thin line that involves limiting civilian causalities and if it does happen, they are punish for it. There is no clear image of enemy in Afghanistan, attacks can come from nowhere and everywhere at the same time. The military also can't use weapons designed to take out entire city blocks or level anything in their path, they must go at it on foot or lightly armored vehicles. Let's face it, defenses and armor in Afghanistan has been hampered since the beginning by politicians who care about the dollar sign than soldier lives.

It doesn't matter if you got the strongest army in the world, you can't end a war like this in days or a couple of years, it is a long lasting cycle of death and hate by those you are ordered to fight. Honestly if it was me, I would order the capture and detain of militants by a secret military designed to neutralize threats. All militants captures and neutralize will mean one less militant, their families will just think they were kill off by their fellow terrorists. Seems to be the only way to win this war...

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

This is what happens when you fight an organization that will do anything they can to win even if it means putting their family, friends, and community in harm's way. These people don't fight in conventional warfare means like using uniforms, bases, formations, brigades, careful planning, protecting civilians, and show of force that usually comes with National Militaries. They wear civilian clothes, use crowds for cover, use suicidal vests, threaten civilians to protect them and harbor them, feed off the hate of collateral deaths, don't care for civilian causalities, and actually try to cause as much damage and death as possible regardless if it military personal or not.

Most military codes doesn't allow for them to fire unless fired upon, even if the militants are standing in front of them without weapons. Also they must walk an razor thin line that involves limiting civilian causalities and if it does happen, they are punish for it. There is no clear image of enemy in Afghanistan, attacks can come from nowhere and everywhere at the same time. The military also can't use weapons designed to take out entire city blocks or level anything in their path, they must go at it on foot or lightly armored vehicles. Let's face it, defenses and armor in Afghanistan has been hampered since the beginning by politicians who care about the dollar sign than soldier lives.

It doesn't matter if you got the strongest army in the world, you can't end a war like this in days or a couple of years, it is a long lasting cycle of death and hate by those you are ordered to fight. Honestly if it was me, I would order the capture and detain of militants by a secret military designed to neutralize threats. All militants captures and neutralize will mean one less militant, their families will just think they were kill off by their fellow terrorists. Seems to be the only way to win this war...

Hi Uncle Sam, Good post,but as I have said before, these Afghanies have been infighting for a 1000 years,and will continue to do so for another 1000.The last force to sort them out was Genghis Khan and his mob,because they also thought life was cheap.The Western alliance has no chance of "winning" this conflict, a strategic withdrawal would be good,and let them get on with it. We dont have to "lose face" over this. cheers S.T.M

Hi Uncle Sam, Good post,but as I have said before, these Afghanies have been infighting for a 1000 years,and will continue to do so for another 1000.The last force to sort them out was Genghis Khan and his mob,because they also thought life was cheap.The Western alliance has no chance of "winning" this conflict, a strategic withdrawal would be good,and let them get on with it. We dont have to "lose face" over this. cheers S.T.M

When the Russians were there they had a strategy of dropping mines that were camouflaged as dolls and other toys designed to maim - not kill - children. When an army as brutal as THAT could not win, it was pointless going in to imagine that a civilized country could prevail. In future, the 3 D's: DEPLOY, DESTROY, DEPART
  • Like 1

When the Russians were there they had a strategy of dropping mines that were camouflaged as dolls and other toys designed to maim - not kill - children. When an army as brutal as THAT could not win, it was pointless going in to imagine that a civilized country could prevail. In future, the 3 D's: DEPLOY, DESTROY, DEPART

The Russians went in to sort them out and failed,we went in to overcome oppression of the Taliban against ordinary citizens,and start a Democracy,but the Taliban go undercover and have their people join the Police to cause mayhem.So the best thing to do is get out and leave them to sort it out,but I guess their Gov't is too weak,so the Talban will prevail in the end.Our Gov't haven't got the guts to say enough is enough,and get out,but the Afghanies will still continue to grow opium poppies and cause world misery whether we are there or not.So whats the point of trying to help people who dont want to be helped.When we leave they will still continue to kill each other as its hereditary.We tried the same in Iraq but they still continue to kill each other.
  • Like 1