Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What did Edgar Rice Burroughs know?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#31    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

A "true believer" is someone who will never not believe.  Personally I don't believe in belief.  I think the most we should allow ourselves are opinions -- some of which we can hold strongly but most of the sort around here just as working theories.

hmmm, not too sure I have seen many of those then....people who will believe anything and everything???

as for your comment ''Personally I don't believe in belief'' ....priceless, assuming it was sarcasm?

I do agree that we should all allow ourselves opinions...maybe the word opinion is better than the word belief...

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,085 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostMasterFlint, on 17 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Listen man....  when a 5000 year old book says someone/something went to mars and built an image of his face on mars....and then a face on mars is found!  Something, some form of intelligent life was there at some point in time...

That book doesn't exist. just like that face doesn't exist.

#33    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

That won't stop him or others who want to believe.

Im not posting for the credulous believer that already made their mind up and are now only looking for the stuff that supports their preconceived notion.

Im posting for the silent readers and people still on the fence.

Edited by Hazzard, 17 April 2013 - 10:26 AM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#34    MasterFlint

MasterFlint

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'll admit a lot of the time Hoagland speaks without thinking...   But a lot of his research into the legit pics of mars and the moon is very compelling and im pretty convinced that his stuff on Cydonia is the real deal.  As well as the high strangeness with Phobo's.   The  tétraèdre geometry thing alone proves his research has merit.  Math don't lie!  Every human being can come up with wild and varied ideas and theories about things that can be dead wrong, but when it comes to Cydonia Hoagland is on the money.

#35    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostMasterFlint, on 17 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'll admit a lot of the time Hoagland speaks without thinking...   But a lot of his research into the legit pics of mars and the moon is very compelling and im pretty convinced that his stuff on Cydonia is the real deal.  As well as the high strangeness with Phobo's.   The  tétraèdre geometry thing alone proves his research has merit.  Math don't lie!  Every human being can come up with wild and varied ideas and theories about things that can be dead wrong, but when it comes to Cydonia Hoagland is on the money.

Did you even click on the link I posted on the previous page?!

This "hyperdimensional physics" rests solely on the relationships he sees in the "City". As you'll see, his claims that these relationships are special are totally bogus.

http://www.badastron...gland/city.html

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#36    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,524 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think Mr. Hoagland probably read Burrough's books as a kid and his fantasy notions about Mars were a result of it. Stuff that infuences us as children has a way of getting into our subconscious...most people develop the ability to discern between fantasy and reality...others don't. I'm pretty sure I know which catagory Mr. Hoagland is in.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#37    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,743 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostHazzard, on 17 April 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

There are perfectly normal explanations to all these "strange", unexplained and artificial objects on Mars and its moons, including the Face on Mars, pyramids and other anomalies.

Richard Hoagland's Nonsense.

http://www.badastron...d/misc/hoagland

http://www.badastron...gland/city.html

His claims are grossly wrong, and generally easy to show as such. His analysis is flawed, his conclusions faulty, and his claims of conspiracy unfounded and unsupported.
Maybe so, but it's fun, though, you must admit.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Maybe so, but it's fun, though, you must admit.
Actually, no, it is not fun.  It is anti-science and discredits genuine science.

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postquillius, on 17 April 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

hmmm, not too sure I have seen many of those then....people who will believe anything and everything???

as for your comment ''Personally I don't believe in belief'' ....priceless, assuming it was sarcasm?

I do agree that we should all allow ourselves opinions...maybe the word opinion is better than the word belief...
Of course I was being sarcastic, although I just thought I was being clever with my words.  It is better to say, "I think," or, "In my opinion," than, "I believe."

A distinction can be made between opinions and beliefs that is more than just degree of certainty.  Beliefs tend to be things we've been indoctrinated with through emotional propaganda, often as children in a religion, while opinions tend to be views we develop out of education and experience.  Further, often we are not really aware of beliefs; we believe them as part of the furniture, applying them subconsciously, and experiencing an emotional reaction rather than an intellectual reaction when they come into doubt (often anger, sometimes astonishment or fear or even ridicule).

One other thing: believers are quite capable of committing pious fraud (inventing evidence, suppressing data, etc.) because the belief is more important to their psyche than is truth.

Edited by Frank Merton, 17 April 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#40    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,263 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostMasterFlint, on 17 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Well then why didn't NASA land Curiosity or any of its other rovers in that area?

In the current fiscal situation, NASA would like nothing better than to prove that cities and man-made structures exist on Mars.  Trust me on that one.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#41    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,743 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Actually, no, it is not fun. It is anti-science and discredits genuine science.
sometimes Science does seem very much like a religion, or at least very insecure, if it cannot tolerate any "unscientific" thinking that might lure gullible people away from the path of Truth.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#42    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image

in some ways ... 'science' is almost religion

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#43    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 17 April 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

in some ways ... 'science' is almost religion

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind

Albert Einstein

#44    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 4,982 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Of course I was being sarcastic, although I just thought I was being clever with my words.  It is better to say, "I think," or, "In my opinion," than, "I believe."

A distinction can be made between opinions and beliefs that is more than just degree of certainty.  Beliefs tend to be things we've been indoctrinated with through emotional propaganda, often as children in a religion, while opinions tend to be views we develop out of education and experience.  Further, often we are not really aware of beliefs; we believe them as part of the furniture, applying them subconsciously, and experiencing an emotional reaction rather than an intellectual reaction when they come into doubt (often anger, sometimes astonishment or fear or even ridicule).

One other thing: believers are quite capable of committing pious fraud (inventing evidence, suppressing data, etc.) because the belief is more important to their psyche than is truth.

nice post...I agree, I dont think I will refer to myself as a believer anymore, just someone with an opinion :)

as for Pious Fraud.......this without doubt swings both ways

#45    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,196 posts

• Question everything

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostMasterFlint, on 17 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Ever heard of Phobos?!?!  The moon of mars that is misshapen and is the ONLY moon anyone knows about that isn't a sphere,

Incorrect. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune all have several moons which are non-spherical or only roughly so.

http://www.funtrivia...tion120806.html

Not to mention a number of asteroids and trans-Neptunian objects,  which are much larger than Phobus. You even missed the fact that it's companion Deimos is also largely non-spherical.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users