Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What country would you visit and why? :)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I would love to see the Mayan specifically  Chichen Itza-one of the most popular Mayan pyramid sites. Mayan culture has always fascinated me

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#17    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,258 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

In no particular order:  Canada, Australia and N.Z.,  almost about anywhere in Europe, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Equador.

These countries seem relatively safe and interesting so why not? I guess I think their culture fits well with my own personality.

Edited by little_dreamer, 26 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#18    archer95446

archer95446

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The picture is of my great great grandparents, on their 60th wedding anniversary!!!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

I would really love to visit the UK, especially England!!!!  I have ancestors that came from Derby, in the early 1600's!!!! I have always
been facinated with England's history!!!  I learn as much as I can about it!!!  Hopefully, one day, I'll get to go there!!!!  I want to
check out ancient castle ruins, experience real British food, visit the Mary Rose exhibition and so much more!!!!

#19    shadowlark

shadowlark

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostEuphorbia, on 25 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

There are many countries that I would love to visit, but the country where my father's ancestors immigrated from is Wales. I would love to see where my families roots are from.

I would love to see the towns and meet the average people from the non-touristy areas. I would also love to hike all through the countryside and walk the shoreline. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Maybe during the warm season, (is there one?)

After that I would make a swing north to Scotland where my Mother's ancestors came from. Hopefully, I could get through all of the accents.

Anyway, my last name in Wales is as common as Smith or Jones is here in the US.

Ahh, I forgot Wales!! My dad is from Wales and I wanna go!

View Postthe-Unexpected-Soul, on 25 January 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

turkey seems interesting

Understatement of the year! It's fantastic! I have tons pics on my website if you're interested: http://www.shadowlark.com

#20    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,142 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

The Seychelles, I think. I love island cultures that haven't been totally destroyed by tourism or "progress", where the indigenous cultures are more or less intact. I've been to most of the Hawaiian islands, Palau, & Bali, Saipan. Warm water, sandy beaches, trade winds, lagoons, coconut palms, all works for me.

Scotland would be the other place, because my ancestors were part of the Highland clan system before emigrating to the colonies.

#21    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

I've only been through western Canada and the western States, southern Mexico, England, Scotland, Wales and the Emerald Isle. They're all fantastic places. (Eastern Canada is on the bucket list.)

I'd go to Australia and New Zealand in a heartbeat, just for all the difference. You'd probably have to forgive me though. I'd lock myself in your bathroom for the first night, with a case of Fosters and watch your toilet go backwards. :)

#22    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,410 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

I too would choose England for it's rich history, quaint villages, and golden heritage...
I have family in England who I've never met, and am of english decent..

Aparently one of my ancestors "Lord chief Justice Jefferies" Hung over a thousand english peasants and sent over a thousand from the english shores to the colonies in America.. This was because of an uprising against the King of England "The western rebelion"

I have in my posession "somewhere" a book with all the names of those whome my ancestor "the hanging judge" sent to America.

View PostQuiteContrary, on 25 January 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

I have a list, but I'll choose one.
The English countryside. It just looks so idyllic to me. I love the rolling green hills and stone walls and small villages and mom and pop stores. (and Hobbits)
So, for it's beauty. And rich literary heritage. I just love it! I could retire there.
I'd visit all the castles and literary places and battle grounds.
At least that is my take on it, never having been there.
Plus, I could easily visit many other countries from there.
Scottish and Irish countryside apply too.
I am of English, Scotch-Irish descent on one side, so that is part of it.
Apparently an ancestor was part of a plot to kill the King of England and was instead of killed or imprisoned sent to American to fight the Indians and then given land to start a new town in Ohio.

#23    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 26 January 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

I too would choose England for it's rich history, quaint villages, and golden heritage...

Aparently one of my ancestors "Lord chief Justice Jefferies" Hung over a thousand english peasants and sent over a thousand from the english shores to the colonies in America.. This was because of an uprising against the King of England "The western rebelion"

I have in my posession "somewhere" a book with all the names of those whome my ancestor "the hanging judge" sent to America.

You should share with your local archives. :)

Seriously! This is my grumpy face. >:(

#24    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,546 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 26 January 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

It's a small world! I pm'ed you.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#25    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

France, Paris, you know just to walk around and sit in a cafe. Then to find some serious sales.

South of France to see the Gypsy festivals and visit the beaches.

Tornonto, Canada, it seems beautiful and I want to see the buildings and check out a band or two.

Tokyo to see the cherry blossoms in the park and their Christmas lights (two trips required).

Palestine to offer a limited assistance to the people.

#26    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,587 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'd love to visit all sorts of places.. preferably warm ones,  but i'd really like to spend some time in Ireland.  My Grandpa was conceived there and born in U.S.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#27    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 26 January 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

I've only been through western Canada and the western States, southern Mexico, England, Scotland, Wales and the Emerald Isle. They're all fantastic places. (Eastern Canada is on the bucket list.)

I'd go to Australia and New Zealand in a heartbeat, just for all the difference. You'd probably have to forgive me though. I'd lock myself in your bathroom for the first night, with a case of Fosters and watch your toilet go backwards. :)

You'll have to bring the Fosters with you, No one drinks Fosters in Australia. In fact I've only ever seen Fosters on TV, never in person. :D

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#28    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'm going to Phuket, Thailand in May. Planning on adding The Philippines, Malaysia and Bali to the trip too. Only been to Bali, the other places will be all new to me.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#29    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

France - Specifically Paris...there's something about the Parisian streets that gives me shivers, I love their narrow and sometimes macabre design.

Several places in Africa - I love the continent a lot and despite being a hater of hot weather, I still would like to go and see the Savannah's and tropical rain forests etc. Plus the native music is amazing too.

Edited by Sean93, 16 February 2013 - 05:55 AM.

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#30    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

I would have to say Russia,have always been fascinated by its history.Though i would have to bring some bourbon with me.I find vodka disgusting.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users