Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Man copies Bible out by hand

phillip patterson bible

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I can think of better ways to send my retirement when it comes, but this is not it...each to his own i suppose.
true.
it must've meant something to him, have been important in some way, so who are we to mock eh?
*s*******
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bth due to your lack of understanding.

#17    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

who are we to mock eh?
*s*******
aw, come ON language filter! I used a word meaning 'a smothered or suppressed laugh', not a racially offensive term!
it's a good job I don't live in scunthorpe, or like eating cockles, or have a parsemonious attitude, or go yachting on lake derwentwater isn't it for god's sake!!
:-P

#18    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Eh. So many people waste most of their retirement. What good does bingo games or puttering about in the garden do?

This guy just has a rather odd hobby.

If he enjoyed it and got something out of it, good for him.

It really always amazes me how upset people get about other people 'wasting time.' The vast majority of the world wastes tons of time every day.

Embrace the impossible.

#19    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 06 May 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Ealdwita--Is that Saxon or Gothic? And if your daughter has that much homework, he or she must be a Helveti, or just a Vandal.  Regards.

It's Latin - The first page of the Gospel of St.Matthew (known as the Chi-Rho illustration) and is from the Lindisfarne Gospels, (Ireland 7th.Century.)

This page has the Latin text for the birth of Christ beginning: "Christi autem generation sic erat" or "The birth of Christ took place thus."

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

i've got a couple of thousand books (none of which i'd copy out by hand, no matter how good they were!), and wouldn't have a kindle for all the opium in chinatown.
books are things of beauty, to be treasured. physical objects, to be held and touched, not a mass of zeros & ones on some impersonal piece of plastic, to be deleted when read.
Absolutely agree.
Same here, we cherish our books and would never replace it with a kindle thingy.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostPurplos, on 06 May 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Eh. So many people waste most of their retirement. What good does bingo games or puttering about in the garden do?

This guy just has a rather odd hobby.

If he enjoyed it and got something out of it, good for him.

It really always amazes me how upset people get about other people 'wasting time.' The vast majority of the world wastes tons of time every day.
No ones getting upset by it, we are just commenting on it, its not the most common of hobbies out there! Can`t you tell the difference between a rant and a bit of humour?
I think you are getting up set cos you think people are getting up set when in fact no one is getting up set. :whistle:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,098 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postealdwita, on 06 May 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

It's Latin - The first page of the Gospel of St.Matthew (known as the Chi-Rho illustration) and is from the Lindisfarne Gospels, (Ireland 7th.Century.)

This page has the Latin text for the birth of Christ beginning: "Christi autem generation sic erat" or "The birth of Christ took place thus."

Maybe the text was in Latin, but the name is not Latin'. it's Germanic (here: Saxon):

eald = old, wita = 'knower', one who knows

#23    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

HIs penmanship is pretty, he writes like a girl, I am envious.

q:

Definitely a worthwhile endeavor and the sense of serenity he felt most likely has to do with the activity and not the content. Doing the rosary or prayer beads in other traditions offers the same. Rote activity of any kind, regardless of religion, can offer the same.

#24    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

'man spends 14hrs a day and four years copying out bible by hand.'
something tells me he's single?
and unemployed.

Or...he's retired. Perhaps he's rich enough that he doesn't need a job. Perhaps he lost a loved one before he started the book and that would explain why he might be "single" and "sad" as you put it. The box, think outside of it.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#25    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 07 May 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

The box, think outside of it.
what, you mean like you did?
if you'd actually read the article, or indeed any of the posts on here, you'd know that he is in fact retired.
but doing that would probably be too 'inbox thinking' for you I guess.
smartarsery. think before you do it.

#26    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postshrooma, on 07 May 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

what, you mean like you did?
if you'd actually read the article, or indeed any of the posts on here, you'd know that he is in fact retired.
but doing that would probably be too 'inbox thinking' for you I guess.
smartarsery. think before you do it.

I didn't read the article. I didn't say I did either. I think the title of the thread pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm not the person who just assumed the man was jobless like he was some bum and had no partner because he was "sad". Then again, I'm not the judgmental type.

Want to try that again?

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#27    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

Can`t you tell the difference between a rant and a bit of humour?

Can't you tell the difference between a general statement and one directed at someone in particular about the topic at hand?

I have seen people mocking and expressing anger even over people with odd hobbies. They've complained that it was such a waste of time and the person who did it must've been insane.  This is what amazes me. That people would randomly get upset in such a way over what other people choose to do with their time.

Embrace the impossible.

#28    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 07 May 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

I didn't read the article. I didn't say I did either. I think the title of the thread pretty much sums it up for me.

that's neither in, nor out box thinking, that's just not thinking.
try reading the articles you comment on before you do.

I'm not the person who just assumed the man was jobless like he was some bum and had no partner because he was "sad".
I didn't just 'assume' anything, I read the article, and also the other posts which said he was retired, but maybe that's just how my small, inbox mind works, by gathering facts before commenting.
what I WAS doing was using humour, instead of abuse.
y'know, humour? remember it?
Then again, I'm not the judgmental type.
there are a lot of people who would disagree with that statement, if your posts are anything to go by.

Want to try that again?
*sigh*

#29    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Unemployed I would imagine, he could have used those hours looking for a job.
As for single, do you mean as in braincell?

Maybe he was tormented inside. He could be one of those people struck with lifelong misfortune.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 08 May 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Maybe he was tormented inside. He could be one of those people struck with lifelong misfortune.
Maybe..... maybe he did not like being an interior designer during his working life.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users