Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why did humans become farmers?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,021 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 07 March 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Read the next comment down from yours by ealdwita.  This is the attraction of farming.  It plays into the hands of people who are addicted to power.  So, yes, the whole system gets mucked up and famines happen for less straight forward reasons than simply crop failure.  But all this still means that hunter gatherers were less vulnerable than farmers.

So if I owned a shop, then it would be OK for people to come and help themselves from the shelves, yes? Or is it only us farmers who are being selfish by running a business for profit? Where's this 'power' thing coming from? Maybe I'm thick, but I just can't get my head round it. Have you been upset by a farmer in the past, or has his bull chased you about a bit?

The only other explanation I can think of is that you're one of those detestable, yellow-waterproofed 'Ramblers' who are under the impression that the whole country is yours to trample over at will, irrespective of its ownership. I suspect a 'La propriété, c'est le vol' undercurrent at work here.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#17    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

It is actually best to have a good knowledge of both hunting and farming,as neither for survival purposes has anything to do with greed.

Having knowledge of both makes one far more adaptable to changing conditions.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#18    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 March 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

So if I owned a shop, then it would be OK for people to come and help themselves from the shelves, yes? Or is it only us farmers who are being selfish by running a business for profit? Where's this 'power' thing coming from? Maybe I'm thick, but I just can't get my head round it. Have you been upset by a farmer in the past, or has his bull chased you about a bit?

The issue is power, but it is beyond the scope of this comment to elucidate.

#19    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Why did humans become farmers? Simple, to have a stable source of beer!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users