Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Am I predicting the future, or altering it?

Admiral Naismith

Hello UM community. I have spent a lot of time over in the "Astral Projection" parts of this website and have learned a lot of really cool things--there are some really neat people on here. Thank you all!

Ever since I can remember, I have had this strange ability, and I want to know your thoughts. Whether I am listening to the radio, or pandora, or whatever, if I think of a song in my head, it comes on.

I honestly used to think it was just a coincidence, but it happens so often, there is no way that it can be. I could be walking home from school (I'm a college student about to graduate) and humming a song to myself. I arrive home, turn pandora on, and within a few songs, it comes on.

Now, you would think that my choice of the station probably alters the result--and that is a fine claim. But what also happens is I could have a song in my head (any genra, any era, whatever) and I get into the car, throw the radio on, and BOOM, there it is. Sometimes it is even on the moment I turn the car on. Sometimes I could channel surf and it'll be there, or I could leave it on my wife's channel and STILL hear the song that I was thinking about earlier.

Now the question is: am I simply open to the radio/wifi waves and am getting impressions of what will come on next?

OR

Is my desire to hear a song altering what is played?

It could also be both! Today while taking a shower, I was on my pandora "rock and roll" station, listening to some classic U2. During the song, I thought--man, I haven't heard _____ song in a long time. It was the next song to play.

So, friends, what do you think is happening here?

Cheers!

• Like 3

I've had that happen quite often in my life too. But I think its more than likely coincidence.

• Like 3

If your always right then theres a special ability but if its only once in a while then it has to be coincidence.

• Like 4

U r waking up...thoughts manifest..say a word...radio DJ says same...have a thought..see it on billboards u have never passed..only works with good intentions..bring good to others..never for urself..don't let ego control u..if u don't already...start meditation..answers come

I'll admit- it's kind of strange if you're always right. Since there's a such thing as being"sensitive" to spirits, then maybe there's such a thing as being "sensitive" to sound waves. It seems strange, but weirder things have happened- like aliens and the Bermuda Triangle :alien:

Your spirit is jumping around. Your young and your spirit is walking in front of you and relaying information back to the physical mind. ( a few minutes in front, so you hear before) As you grow it will settle back, but its always going to stay with you unless you grow cold. You will know who will win before they do sometimes, and you will know when to walk away so you don't get hurt when the others run into danger, don't follow them.

have you met anybody in your dreams yet ?

• Like 1

have you met anybody in your dreams yet ?

You have a very interesting take on this, thank you :) I have only just started seeing success with Astral Projection and Lucid Dreaming, but haven't gotten to meet anybody yet (although in my dream last night I was hanving out with the Pope--it was definitely just a regular weird dream lol). I will update when I have more progress there.

Does anyone have more thoughts as to whether I'm just receiving the info early or if I'm altering what is going to happen? Thanks to everyone who replied so far!

• Like 1

If you're always right, 100% of the time, record yourself with a radio and correctly predict each song. Then post it online, or go to a university and demonstrate the ability.

If it does NOT work 100% of the time, though, it's coincidence. An odd one, sure, but a coincidence. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Now, consider all the music you hear during your day. Radio, in elevators, malls, call-waiting music, ringtones, internet ads, etc. You can't possibly be predicting all of them. So, when you compare the amount of music you DO predict vs the amount you don't predict, while it seems like you're predicting songs left and right, really the averages are still constant. Our brains are really good at noting presences more than absences; it's easier to remember predicting something than it is an incident of not predicting something.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

This has happened to me too but with television instead. I think of an episode of some show and then not long after, the episode will be on.

• Like 1

I've done this quite often.. I've also thought of people I haven't heard from in years and suddenly they find my number or show up at my door. I've also wanted something bad for supper and it just seems to happen.

I call it a subconscious 'will' for things to happen, because I can never do it if I want to, it's more like a back-head second thought.

• Like 1

WolvenHeart7, I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking of someone just two weeks ago and they called me, out of the blue, that day! What could this be?

WolvenHeart7, I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking of someone just two weeks ago and they called me, out of the blue, that day! What could this be?

Some would call all of this 'The Law Of Attraction' or just plain coincidence.

It's happened to me too, that I've thought about a song and the radio plays it 5 minutes later or I think about a person and get a phone call from them.

What I find more interesting...very interesting, is how I can sit by my phone for hours waiting for a specific call and it does not come...then, I have to get up and leave the phone to use the crapper.. take a shower....answer the door...hang clothes out etc and within 2-3 minutes of me walking away from the phone, it will ring and it's always my mother...and this happens every...single....time.

It gets so frustrating, I feel like leaving messages on my phone like "please call back in 5 minutes Mum, I'm taking a s*** right now".

Once I tried phoning mum first to preempt this and you know what she said? "I wasn't going to phone you anyway"....yeah....right. lol

I think there are just 'subtle connections' in the universe and sometimes we can predict things and they happen...BUT if you tell another living soul about it before it happens, it won't happen, then if you say nothing and it happens, then go "you know what? I was just thinking about that' then everybody else goes...."yeah....right". lol

It's like those days when no matter what you do, you'll get a 20km sequence of red lights between home and your destination. Leave 5 minutes earlier or later and it make no freaking difference....trust me....

We can bring good luck or bad luck to ourselves...and unfortunately, with my cynical and pessimistic attitude, I tend to bring more of the latter.

Edited by The Necromancer

Just start documenting it *properly*. It will go away, I'll wager. But if it remains as a genuine effect, why not demonstrate it here - post your predictions on UM, and then later when the matches happen, post the playlist - I presume they document all their lists of played music so we could all verify it for ourselves?

You'd need to do this a few times, eg at the same time each day over 3 days, to show that you didn't just cherry pick one or two coincidences.. but really, is there anything difficult about that process? And if you do manage to do it beyond coincidence, there's several large paranormal-proof prizes awaiting you...

Anyway, I'd suggest you go back and re-read Podo's excellent points - there is even more to it than that*, but it's a good start.

* Have a think about it - is a playlist likely to be truly random songs? Picked from the last 10/20/30.. years? What genre? How often do they repeat the top ten/twenty/hundred? etc...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

Hello UM community. I have spent a lot of time over in the "Astral Projection" parts of this website and have learned a lot of really cool things--there are some really neat people on here. Thank you all!

Ever since I can remember, I have had this strange ability, and I want to know your thoughts. Whether I am listening to the radio, or pandora, or whatever, if I think of a song in my head, it comes on.

I honestly used to think it was just a coincidence, but it happens so often, there is no way that it can be. I could be walking home from school (I'm a college student about to graduate) and humming a song to myself. I arrive home, turn pandora on, and within a few songs, it comes on.

Now, you would think that my choice of the station probably alters the result--and that is a fine claim. But what also happens is I could have a song in my head (any genra, any era, whatever) and I get into the car, throw the radio on, and BOOM, there it is. Sometimes it is even on the moment I turn the car on. Sometimes I could channel surf and it'll be there, or I could leave it on my wife's channel and STILL hear the song that I was thinking about earlier.

Now the question is: am I simply open to the radio/wifi waves and am getting impressions of what will come on next?

OR

It could also be both! Today while taking a shower, I was on my pandora "rock and roll" station, listening to some classic U2. During the song, I thought--man, I haven't heard _____ song in a long time. It was the next song to play.

Cheers!

Classical mechanics has most people believing they live in a deterministic universe where linear dynamics (cause and effect) explains how everything works. However, those who have learned about non-linear dynamics realise reality is also structured so apparently unconnected variables can influence each other instantaneously (one doesn't have to come before the other and they don't need to be physically near each other).

If I run a weather station which collects data from 1000s of thermometers around the UK, if I process that data on a supercomputer, I can find a pattern buried in it and construct a fractal image from it. Because the same pattern present in any part or at any scale in that fractal image is the same it means an underlying structure is present in reality connecting it all up. As new patterns arise it also arises in all the data we collect from the thermometers high-lighting the non-linear connections across all of them.

In business we let chaos exist in the workplace so new patterns (new ways of doing things) arise. The only controls used are those to prevent patterns harmful to the interests and survival of the business appearing. Of course business science also knows that reality is structured by non-linear connections so the patterns we allow to arise, and this is controversial for many to except, impacts reality outside of the business too.

In religion I would argue a working knowledge of non-linear dynamics is being taught for people to follow. You are encouraged to adopt a set of controls to abide by so the patterns which arise over time aren't harmful to you and don't cause you to suffer. And the controls limit or enable what patterns can arise. When you change the way you think, when you think about something new for the first time, when you fascinate about something, what is going on is tweaking the set of controls you abide by. A new pattern then emerges in the rest of reality.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I was watching guardians of the galaxy. I thought to myself, man, it'd be really cool if someone re-created Drax the Destroyer's knives. Well, there is a youtube channel I'm subscribed to called "AWE ME" where these blacksmith guys like to make weapons from movies and video games. 10 hours ago, literally WHEN I was watching the movie, a video was uploaded, which I just saw now.

That's right, they made Drax's knives.

Like i said, stuff like this happens all the time. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Today, I was watching guardians of the galaxy. I thought to myself, man, it'd be really cool if someone re-created Drax the Destroyer's knives. Well, there is a youtube channel I'm subscribed to called "AWE ME" where these blacksmith guys like to make weapons from movies and video games. 10 hours ago, literally WHEN I was watching the movie, a video was uploaded, which I just saw now.

That's right, they made Drax's knives.

Like i said, stuff like this happens all the time. Thoughts?

There are not only all the other times for you that some similar coincidence didn't happen, there are also bazillions of people on the Interwebz, many of who hang out at places like this and report such happenings, never the non-happenings....

So yes, fabulously impressive coincidences happen a lot, and all the time!

If you can properly apply statistics and probabilty to this and prove beyond reasonable scientific doubt that such things are not 'just' coincidences, then a Nobel prize and more fame than you can dream of, awaits you.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

Are we forgetting that these forums, at least in this thread, are NOT for requesting proof, but rather for discussion? Have you seen the moderator comments which instruct users that, for the purposes of a certain thread, you set aside whether or not the claims are TRUE or PROVABLE and instead, discuss them. Few in this thread have done that, and most people who weigh in demand statistics and proof.

Can we get back to discussion instead of proof, please?

• Like 2

Yes. Out of the billions of people on terra firma, you've been endowed with a "special" ability.

i suppose when Armageddon comes around, you'll be able to tell us the last song we'll ever hear.

i look forward to it.

If you predict a Taylor Swift song, please keep me out of the loop.

Edited by Misanthropic
  • Like 1

Are we forgetting that these forums, at least in this thread, are NOT for requesting proof, but rather for discussion? Have you seen the moderator comments which instruct users that, for the purposes of a certain thread, you set aside whether or not the claims are TRUE or PROVABLE and instead, discuss them. Few in this thread have done that, and most people who weigh in demand statistics and proof.

So you are basically just here to get your ideas validated without ever getting any challenge ?

How can you have a discussion if everybody agrees ?

• Like 4

OR

Cheers!

You will lose this ability after 27...31 at the most, enjoy this why you cam. You can master theses ability if you really want to, but you honestly have to believe that it is happening. Once you believe in it, the more doors will open and more doors and more.

By the looks of it, it seems that you have opened three doors already, push your limits and respect the rules.

You used the word ‘alter’, which tells me that door #2 has been opened, you also show ability’s of distinguishing the frequencies which is excellent.

I wish you well on the doors that you open…luck rather!

Funnily enough, the responses I read (inc. mine) seemed quite polite and did not demand proof at all, but were more DISCUSSING the reasons why these things appear to be 'special' but perhaps aren't all that unexplainable. You were also offered ways to show it was, in fact, an 'ability' rather than just coincidence and your brain's incredible capacity for pattern-matching.

But seeing you only want validation and fawning acceptance. I shall depart. Before I go, however.. I would have thought that sharing this ability would be a good and unselfish thing to do. You've been offered some pretty simple ways to show how the ability exists, and that would seem an obvious first step. If you are unwilling to do so, could it be....

Well, I'll just leave it at that. :D

Edited by ChrLzs

But seeing you only want validation and fawning acceptance. I shall depart.

That's not what I wanted at all. My initial question was whether, (assuming that what I'm experiencing is an actual thing and not just pattern-matching), I am altering my reality consciously or whether I am tapped into a source of information which informs my reality. Since I don't have any control over whatever is happening, it is impossible for me to, as you say, "share" my ability, if that is what it truly is. I didn't come here for people to give me ways or reasons to "prove" what is happening. If I don't even KNOW what is happening, how can I even go about proving it?

Naturally, once I figure out what is happening, I would of course be interested in proving it. However, proving an unknown is categorically impossible for obvious reasons. I'm willing to look beyond your obvious prejudice / assumpitons, especially since the "obvious" first step would be to figure out what is acutally happening. I'm not here to argue with people about whether something actually IS happening. It happens. I get impressions or thoughts randomly and I'm right about them. end of story. I want to know what is happening, I want to figure out when it happens or what influences it, if where means anything, then HOW, and then after that, WHY!

I'm not here to be "validated without getting challenged" as noteverythingisaconspiracy said. I'm looking for ideas as to WHAT is happening, and then challenging and discussing THOSE ideas to facilitate the other interrogatives.

Ultimately, I think WHAT comes before HOW, in just about every case.

So, almighty ChrLzs, and other denizens of the unexplained mysteries forums, in your great wisdom, do you care to tell me what you think is happening? Perhaps, helping EXPLAIN THE MYSTERY? Unless you think that it is simply pattern-matching, in the which case, you have said your part and may depart. Why waste your time? however, I don't know what pattern would exist for my brain to recognize though, if I have a thought about something but did not see the results of it until several hours after, only to find that my thought occurred within the same half-hour as that video I mentioned posted, completely unbeknownst to me.

See, that ^ is where discussion and challenge comes in. Maybe you have another point which says that no, actually, admiral naismith, it is pattern matching, and this is why _______. Etc. that's the true purpose of these forums. I'd love to know what the heck rabid mongoose was talking about in more detail too.

Edited by Admiral Naismith
  • Like 1

This happens to me all the time.

I just forget the many times it did not happen. Then remark when it does happen.

Look up "Confirmation Bias".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This happens to me a lot too. I also can randomly think of old tv shows and movies and they'll come on, exactly the episode i thought about.

If i think of a person in my life that i haven't seen or heard from in a long time, or maybe I'll dream of them, it's almost always ever good. Usually i learn that person has died. Not every single time, but this has happened many times.

Edited by Calicodreams

I have funny coincidences like this all the time. Like last for example before sleep I was saying to my girlfriend maybe she should try playing some video games to get her hand eye coordination skills up. We were talking about her not being a very good driver and how she just thinks some people cant do it(and she thinks she is one of those people).

She has a car but I drive her pretty much everywhere. She is afraid of driving. Anyway so I said about her playing some video games to get better and maybe she should try the game Carmageddon. lol. That was a joke which she didn't understand because she didn't know the game but it made me laugh.

Anyway then just now I looked at the news and found this latest story.

http://www.abc.net.a...injured/7045948

"One person has been killed and at least 37 injured after a car ran down pedestrians in front of a hotel on the Las Vegas Strip.

Several of those injured are in critical condition and the driver of the vehicle is in custody, police said.

Police said was not an act of terrorism, but said that it was "possibly" intentional and an investigation was under way.

Peter Boffelli from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department told reporters that of the three dozen injured, seven were in critical condition and four had already been released.

Mr Boffelli said it was not immediately clear if the female driver intended to cause harm or if she was impaired, but added that she had been taken into custody."

Carmageddon.