Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let There Be Light, and There Was Light

Ben Masada

LET THERE BE LIGHT, AND THERE WAS LIGHT

It has been an a "tohu vavohu" among many questioners, especially Christians, even many Jews, to come up with an explanation for that kind of light in Genesis 1:3 wen the sun, which gives light by day was created only on the 4th day of creation. The embarrassment is that at both, Atheists laugh. And not because they know any better in terms of an adequate answer, but for two other reasons: First, because they look for answer only in Science; and of course it is not there but in Theology. And in Theology, they laugh at us for they think that we are all speaking about an anthropomorphic god, which, as I don't blame them: It indeed never existed.

But what light is indeed the Torah writer referring to when he reports of God as declaring, "Let there be light?"

Since before the creation of the universe it was already in the designs of God to provide for salvation of Mankind a People whom salvation would come from, in the words of Jesus himself in John 4:22, that salvation comes from the Jews.

When for good, the Assyrians removed Israel from existence by replacing the Northern population of the Galilee with Gentiles, and after the Jews or Southern pupulation was taken for an temporary exile of 70 years in Babylon, and the time had arrived for their return to the Land of Israel, Prophet Isaiah said that the people who walked in darkness, he meant the Gentiles in Galilee, had seen a great light as the Jewish People was returning to the Land of Israel. (Isa. 9:2)

Then, later, he confirms that light of Genesis 1:3 when he explained that Israel had been assigned as light to the nations. (Isa. 42:6) But the light was to remain divided from the darkness, so that both should exist in the same world; although, in the language of the Essenes, there would always be a conflict between the children of Light and the children of darkness. Between Jews and Gentiles. Just as light cannot coexist together with darkness. Wheneverlight is come, dakness is gone.

Jesus was aware of this Light as he delivered his famous Sermon of the Mount to a crowd of Jews, when he said to them: "You are the Light of the world." (Mat. 5:14) The reason why he said "you are" and not "you have" is that what one has, it can be taken away, but what one is, he is no matter what. Individually, we have the light the world needs to know God. But as a People, we are that light of Genesis 1:3, which the world needs for salvation.

Ben

*sigh*

Of course it's from the Jews. That "anti-Semitic" New Testament you always complain about turns out to be the source that makes that absolutely clear. Christ was a Jew. The apostles were Jews. The people they were the most interested in converting were Jews. The whole power base of Christianity took off from the Jews. Salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ is effectively from the Jews because that's where the mass conversion to Christianity originated from. You take a fact that isn't controversial, ambiguous, or misunderstood and distort it to what? If Jews were the salvation independent of Christ, they had thousands of years of head start to begin "salvating" already and Jesus wouldn't have even been necessary. You wouldn't need to cherry pick from the anti-Semitic catalog, because it would be in evidence itself. The New Testament is cogent and fits together quite well despite its independent Gospels, provided you don't extract your sound bytes so you can reinterpret it based on one tiny isolated piece at a time. And if Jesus isn't Christ, I don't see how the "salvation" manifests itself. It's thousands more years of waiting for the Messiah because of historical Jewish skeptics who couldn't believe that Christ fulfilled the Jewish scriptures. If nationalists from a 64-year old Israel who stuck a religious symbol on their flag are suddenly my salvation, they're not doing anything for me but putting a bullseye on my head. They need to worry about saving themselves. I'll be just fine so long as we coexist and have nothing to do with each other by way of exerting force control on other people.

And we can agree to disagree, but apparently you can incorrigibly preach your religious beliefs on here ad nauseum as if they're facts with no disclaimers in post after post after post. When have you ever acknowledged that someone else's opinion is as good as your own? This is all you ever do in what seems to be 100% of your participation on this website. How is that not a TOS violation? I can understand a few anti-Christian diatribes here and there. If this were my message board, I'd let you post to your heart's content anyway, because I don't believe in censoring anything. My freedom of speech is quite simple: if someone wants to expose themselves, let em fly! But holy matzahballs, if I started preaching Islamic or Christian belief as fact on here the way you get away with, I wouldn't bet against anyone that it would even last a day before being cleaned off the forum.

While I'm here, here's my opinion about the anti-Christian nationalism you peddle as the one true religion: Nazi Germany tried to destroy the Jews in the Holocaust which was what I would call The First Holocaust or the Physical Holocaust because it tried to exterminate the Jews via their physical bodies. The 2nd Holocaust is The Spiritual Holocaust and that Holocaust is Israel, because it destroys Jews not by destroying their physical bodies but by destroying their religion. :td:

• Like 2

God is both physical light, and light as in enlightenment. ALso a beacon to move towards and a light which lights up the darkness revealing dangers, showing a way and providing comfort/ eliminating fears. God manifests as light in physical form, and light represents the energies, both physical and spiritual, of god.

• Like 1

*sigh*

Of course it's from the Jews. That "anti-Semitic" New Testament you always complain about turns out to be the source that makes that absolutely clear. Christ was a Jew. The apostles were Jews. The people they were the most interested in converting were Jews. The whole power base of Christianity took off from the Jews. Salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ is effectively from the Jews because that's where the mass conversion to Christianity originated from. You take a fact that isn't controversial, ambiguous, or misunderstood and distort it to what? If Jews were the salvation independent of Christ, they had thousands of years of head start to begin "salvating" already and Jesus wouldn't have even been necessary. You wouldn't need to cherry pick from the anti-Semitic catalog, because it would be in evidence itself. The New Testament is cogent and fits together quite well despite its independent Gospels, provided you don't extract your sound bytes so you can reinterpret it based on one tiny isolated piece at a time. And if Jesus isn't Christ, I don't see how the "salvation" manifests itself. It's thousands more years of waiting for the Messiah because of historical Jewish skeptics who couldn't believe that Christ fulfilled the Jewish scriptures. If nationalists from a 64-year old Israel who stuck a religious symbol on their flag are suddenly my salvation, they're not doing anything for me but putting a bullseye on my head. They need to worry about saving themselves. I'll be just fine so long as we coexist and have nothing to do with each other by way of exerting force control on other people.

And we can agree to disagree, but apparently you can incorrigibly preach your religious beliefs on here ad nauseum as if they're facts with no disclaimers in post after post after post. When have you ever acknowledged that someone else's opinion is as good as your own? This is all you ever do in what seems to be 100% of your participation on this website. How is that not a TOS violation? I can understand a few anti-Christian diatribes here and there. If this were my message board, I'd let you post to your heart's content anyway, because I don't believe in censoring anything. My freedom of speech is quite simple: if someone wants to expose themselves, let em fly! But holy matzahballs, if I started preaching Islamic or Christian belief as fact on here the way you get away with, I wouldn't bet against anyone that it would even last a day before being cleaned off the forum.

While I'm here, here's my opinion about the anti-Christian nationalism you peddle as the one true religion: Nazi Germany tried to destroy the Jews in the Holocaust which was what I would call The First Holocaust or the Physical Holocaust because it tried to exterminate the Jews via their physical bodies. The 2nd Holocaust is The Spiritual Holocaust and that Holocaust is Israel, because it destroys Jews not by destroying their physical bodies but by destroying their religion. :td:

You have succeeded with this post of yours above, to convay the message that there is nothing you wish more than a moderator to read your post and banish me from this forum by cutting short my freedom of speech. I do acknowledge that other posters have as good an opinion as mine, but this does not mean that I should adopt them. You seem to be frustrated to have failed in this particular. Besides, I am here only to partake in interfaith dialogue and not, as you imply, trying to forward my views with the purpose of proselytizing. This is forbidden in Judaism. Besides, we have nothing to offer as a reward in the afterlife. Somehow, your preconceived notions have set you in an antagonistic position against any Jewish interpretation of the Scriptures. My message to you, therefore, is that you don't have to frustrate yourself by reading my posts. Just ignore them. Unless you are jealous that other eyes will be reading them and, perhaps, even enjoying them. Take it easier Yamato, such a hostility is not good for your health.

Ben

God is both physical light, and light as in enlightenment. ALso a beacon to move towards and a light which lights up the darkness revealing dangers, showing a way and providing comfort/ eliminating fears. God manifests as light in physical form, and light represents the energies, both physical and spiritual, of god.

Walter, there is absolutely nothing physical about God. Jesus himself declared that God is Spirit; and only those who worship God in spirit and in truth are they whom the Father seeks. Read John 4:23,24. Some Christians do understand what I am saying, but they don't like when a Jew quotes Jesus in defense of a Jewish truth.

Ben

Edited by Ben Masada
  • Like 1

Walter, there is absolutely nothing physical about God. Jesus himself declared that God is Spirit; and only those who worship God in spirit and in truth are they whom the Father seeks. Read John 4:23,24. Some Christians do understand what I am saying, but they don't like when a Jew quotes Jesus in defense of a Jewish truth.

Ben

indeed ... God is Spirit. When I am not playing in the sponge beds with the guys that think amino acids are the great life givers I am contemplating scripture... I like what you wrote about light and I wondered what your view on matthew 6:22. I have often wondered what sort of light was meant there... literal or knowledge... :unsure2:

indeed ... God is Spirit. When I am not playing in the sponge beds with the guys that think amino acids are the great life givers I am contemplating scripture... I like what you wrote about light and I wondered what your view on matthew 6:22. I have often wondered what sort of light was meant there... literal or knowledge... :unsure2:

In Mat. 6:22 we have a reference to the kind of knowledge that enters one's mind through the eyes. Then one is molded according to what one learns; good or evil.

Ben

You have succeeded with this post of yours above, to convay the message that there is nothing you wish more than a moderator to read your post and banish me from this forum by cutting short my freedom of speech. I do acknowledge that other posters have as good an opinion as mine, but this does not mean that I should adopt them. You seem to be frustrated to have failed in this particular. Besides, I am here only to partake in interfaith dialogue and not, as you imply, trying to forward my views with the purpose of proselytizing. This is forbidden in Judaism. Besides, we have nothing to offer as a reward in the afterlife. Somehow, your preconceived notions have set you in an antagonistic position against any Jewish interpretation of the Scriptures. My message to you, therefore, is that you don't have to frustrate yourself by reading my posts. Just ignore them. Unless you are jealous that other eyes will be reading them and, perhaps, even enjoying them. Take it easier Yamato, such a hostility is not good for your health.

Ben

If that were true, you could accept Christian belief without adopting it yourself. And I haven't seen where that's the case in your posting history here. I do see a lot of denial of even the most central and uncontested of Christian beliefs and obtuse rounds of questioning of the most central Christian concepts ("What salvation?" etc).

Killing and stealing and 50-eyes-for-an-eye justice is also forbidden in Judaism, but you never let that stop you.

You're not going to get banned, dude. Libeling Christianity is another day in the office around here, and you're just another mouthpiece of the hit squad with a patch on your arm. You belong here more than I do.

Ben

I am sorry but you are wrong. Or at least we may be speaing of different things. God is as real to me as he was to moses and abraham and the others of the old testament. He appears as light, as a human being, and in any form he choses becaus ehe is IN allthings..

Of course this (what humans can experience of god) is not the totality of god, or even the essence of god.

God is matter, energy, spirit, consciousness, and can appear to humans in any of those forms, or all of them at once. The old testament makes this clear. Now some individual writers in the bible may differ. Each is influenced and constrained by their own experience of/with god, but i dont think moses or abraham would agree with you that there was nothing physical about god.

MAny hebrew /jewish people in the old testament walked with god, not just metaphorically, but physically, and god interacted with them and their environment physically; eg parting the red sea, providing manna, appearing as a burning bush etc. I agree wigth christ that "worship" of god requires a spiritual relationship with him A recognition of gods spirit within us and around us, but that does not mean that god does not have, or cannot take, physical form. It is. however. on a spiritual level (within us ) that most peole connect to and relate to the peresence of god. Apparently a comparative few connect to and relate to the physical aspects of god.

I dont know why that is so. To me it is incomprehensible that all humans are not connected to god on a physical level as well as a spiritual one. God is with me, as he was with Daniel when he entered the lions den, or shadrak michak and abednigo in the fiery furnace.

God first

thanks Ben Masada

God used himself to creative us in the world we live in

we were creative in Image of God Himself

We were perfect until we rebelled God Himself

than we went downhill from that moment of Time

because before that moment we did no wrong

we creative a void in what is truth

you must look at yourself as a fool to get wiser

listen to Mr Walker he show you the way

with love and a holy kiss Roy

hmmm......

so... the "discussion" is about "god" .... "creator" ..... "alah" ..... being the light....

and the manner in which the lessons are taught....

the differing of opinions, and interpretations.....

there are some fundamental things being overlooked in the conversation....

1- Hebrew is a dead language.... what it says and means in the book has not changed ....

what it meant a 1000 years ago... is still what it means today.....

to interpret that into a growing dynamic language like English is a rough one...

way to many different meanings to words depending on cultural background (where you grew up) to really get a clear picture of what is being said..

if you really wanted to read where the old testament came from....

learn Hebrew my friend....

2- the dynamics of interactions between people in a debate are convulding the topic.....

way to often... people argue saying the same thing... with different words......

they get caught up in ego....

believe that the way they have interpreted the meaning as being correct....

and take a defiant stance on it...

when in all reality .....

with a dynamic language....

the same thing can be said in a multitude of different ways...

ex: i need to start the process of my cigarette burning to partake in the smoke that issues forth...

i can say...

got a light?

match?

got spark?

torch me....

the list can go on for a long time....

but you get the idea....

me thinks a part of the reason that it was said that the Jews were the light...

is in the manner in which the old knowledge is held and taught...

the house of the Hebrew faith is still one house....

whereas the house of the Christian faith is divided a 1000 fold.....

and i believe that the cultural background of the individual, and interpretation of the meaning of translated words according to that difference.....

is a source for conflict....

i can see how the response to what Ben posted has been one of defence and defiance...

are we not all teachers?

are we not all students as well?

to partake in a debate over saying the same thing is folly..... at best...

and is rooted in no more then ego....

i think i get the jist that pretty much every one here can agree that a concept of God, Creator or Allah... (Jehovah.... the list goes on)

can be summed up in a simple phrase....

creator is the summation of all things.....

and therefore is manifest in everything....

spirit and physical....

a simple concept that is so large we cant wrap our minds around it........

but that gets back to the teachings and interpretations of your cultural background.....

at least reading through the first post and rebuttal....

this is what i see....

from there we expand on it...

• Like 2

God first

thanks the eternal me

so you think Genesis was wrote in Hebrew first

I say egyptian is the language Mosses was taught

today we have no book as it was wrote

plus the bible is not holy scripture has God gave it

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Edited by Roy Perry

Eternal me. Just to reply to ths point.

Why do you think that? The human mind is capable of conceiving and understanding anything. Many atheists would argue that the only forms of god which exist are those imagined and created in the human mind.

Any real god is understandable to humans BECAUSE it is real and thus definable and measurable/quantifiable, as are all real things. Any imagined god is certainly proof that we can wrap our minds around it, because at least one human being had to do so, to create/construct it.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Why not look at light it self and see, the first so they say did not happen for at least some 3 hundred thousand years after that bang before it was just to hot for light to shine. Or at the light spectrum it is so small at 10 to the 15 power where colored light is at, out side of this its just a blueish green or even in a rainbow but the tricky ? is how is this light that is life in me you every body. When good old Elbert put forth that matter and energy are one it brought us closer to the truth. there are 7 colors in the rainbow and there are 7 energy centers in the body some say more but I will talk of these 7, now we have red which is at the base which gives you a good foundaition to start going up like a latter of lights we have orange and then yellow now most stop here because they are earthly for lack of a better word but after this you have green then sky blue, purple then golden white for the crown and each step rises your energy hotter and more finer.

hmmm......

so... the "discussion" is about "god" .... "creator" ..... "alah" ..... being the light....

and the manner in which the lessons are taught....

the differing of opinions, and interpretations.....

there are some fundamental things being overlooked in the conversation....

1- Hebrew is a dead language.... what it says and means in the book has not changed ....

what it meant a 1000 years ago... is still what it means today.....

to interpret that into a growing dynamic language like English is a rough one...

way to many different meanings to words depending on cultural background (where you grew up) to really get a clear picture of what is being said..

if you really wanted to read where the old testament came from....

learn Hebrew my friend....

2- the dynamics of interactions between people in a debate are convulding the topic.....

way to often... people argue saying the same thing... with different words......

they get caught up in ego....

believe that the way they have interpreted the meaning as being correct....

and take a defiant stance on it...

when in all reality .....

with a dynamic language....

the same thing can be said in a multitude of different ways...

ex: i need to start the process of my cigarette burning to partake in the smoke that issues forth...

i can say...

got a light?

match?

got spark?

torch me....

the list can go on for a long time....

but you get the idea....

me thinks a part of the reason that it was said that the Jews were the light...

is in the manner in which the old knowledge is held and taught...

the house of the Hebrew faith is still one house....

whereas the house of the Christian faith is divided a 1000 fold.....

and i believe that the cultural background of the individual, and interpretation of the meaning of translated words according to that difference.....

is a source for conflict....

i can see how the response to what Ben posted has been one of defence and defiance...

are we not all teachers?

are we not all students as well?

to partake in a debate over saying the same thing is folly..... at best...

and is rooted in no more then ego....

i think i get the jist that pretty much every one here can agree that a concept of God, Creator or Allah... (Jehovah.... the list goes on)

can be summed up in a simple phrase....

creator is the summation of all things.....

and therefore is manifest in everything....

spirit and physical....

but that gets back to the teachings and interpretations of your cultural background.....

at least reading through the first post and rebuttal....

this is what i see....

from there we expand on it...

fantastic!!! <see bold>

• Like 1

I see everyone skipping over the "God created man in his own image" part. I get some people here speculate the passage refers to our spirit, not our physical form. However, that statement sounds wrong to me from both points of view. The physical part is obvious (or should be to all here). The spirit part is only slightly less obvious though. In what way are we like an all-powerful god? We can't even begin to comprehend what it would be like to have omnipotence. Our nature is deeply rooted into what we are, which is partly our physical form, even if the spirit can migrate its carnal form. If it means we are in God's image in terms of more abstract concepts like love, hope, etc, that's equally weird.

Anyone have a good explanation for how are we in the image of an all-mighty god?

I see everyone skipping over the "God created man in his own image" part. I get some people here speculate the passage refers to our spirit, not our physical form. However, that statement sounds wrong to me from both points of view. The physical part is obvious (or should be to all here). The spirit part is only slightly less obvious though. In what way are we like an all-powerful god? We can't even begin to comprehend what it would be like to have omnipotence. Our nature is deeply rooted into what we are, which is partly our physical form, even if the spirit can migrate its carnal form. If it means we are in God's image in terms of more abstract concepts like love, hope, etc, that's equally weird.

Anyone have a good explanation for how are we in the image of an all-mighty god?

well I heard it was the trinity... body soul and spirit..... Father son etc etc...apart from that I'm out

body being physical

soul being mind and heart <feeling emotions the person themselves etc>

spirit being the life/force/energy

open to any other suggestions tho

Isiah makes it clear about the nature of God: puny humans shouldn't even speculate about it. We'll never understand the nature of God so don't even waste your time thinking about it. Many verses repeat this statement so we idiots would understand it.

In the Hebrew Bible, Isiah is when God switches from "indifference" mode to "p***ed and ready to kick ass" mode. I think it's in a different spot in Christian bibles.

• Like 1

And to contradict that (I love the Bible!), Amos had a vision of God "standing on a wall with a plumbline in His hand".

So there's God's physical body. Anything that's standing and holding something in its hand has got to be pretty close to human. Of course God may have just been projecting the appearance of a human in order to visually make a point about messed up Israel has become. Did I mention I love the Bible? Something for everyone in there.

Thats because god is NOTommipotent or omniscient. God is like us. A sapient being, evolved into that sapience through a learning experience. All sapient self aware entities will share common characteristics due to the nature of thought and language. Indeed language itself requires a degree of thought at a symbolic level, and thought requires a degree of language to formulate itself..

The two are inextricably connected. That means artificial intelligences, other animal inteligences and alien intelligences. (There may be other alien forms of intelligence different to our own, but basically evolved intelligence is a response to environment and is shaped by environments both internal and external. It cant spring from nothing

The fact that humans and god can communicate illustrates this point. I suspect god doesn't actually speak english, but talks to a sapient being in the words thoughts symbols and images etc., that being can comprehend. (no point otherwise) Love and hope. at a human leve.l are abstract symbolic forms created via language in our minds. Of course god has them/shares those qualities with us, if he is capable of thought at or above human level.

I dont believe god created man, but i do think it had an influence in shaping us, from the time we developed enough self awareness to recognise self/other, and hence recognise the presence of god.

Here is how we are like god. We can think. We know the consequences of our thoguths and actions. We are free to act for creative or destructive purposes. We can create and destroy, begining with limited things and evolving into almost unlimited abilty. Because we are intellent and self aware we have created constructs like; fear, hate, love, empathy, honesty,/dishonesty cruelty compassion and charity which drive us and guide us.

• Like 2

Isiah makes it clear about the nature of God: puny humans shouldn't even speculate about it. We'll never understand the nature of God so don't even waste your time thinking about it. Many verses repeat this statement so we idiots would understand it.

The epitome of narcissism and madness perhaps?

Edit: Forgot sadism.

Edited by HavocWing

Eternal me. Just to reply to ths point.

Why do you think that? The human mind is capable of conceiving and understanding anything. Many atheists would argue that the only forms of god which exist are those imagined and created in the human mind.

Any real god is understandable to humans BECAUSE it is real and thus definable and measurable/quantifiable, as are all real things. Any imagined god is certainly proof that we can wrap our minds around it, because at least one human being had to do so, to create/construct it.

cool conversation....

Mr Walker.... you have set the challenge to me to explain further on this concept....

i shall do my best....

i am struggling with how to answer this one....

because i see there being nothing but energy...

and we are just thoughts within it...

the construct of that ocean and how it appears to the self is unique to the self....

because of the agreements with the ocean of energy....

not only our own agreements....

but with the agreements the ocean has with everything within it....

from a rock, to a bird... to you....

even every grain of sand that exists within it....

each has our own agreement of "this is how things appear to me" ....

each cell within our bodies has its own concept of existence...

its surroundings are its world, and its life...

in this, it knows what it has to relate to....

it does not see the summation of the whole...

yet it understands its little part in the whole...

in this manner we are a part of the everything...

separated and one at the same time...

to grab onto the concept of the unity of one is to expand ones self to the infinite possibilities and probabilities within that one ocean...

being creatures of 1 on 1 connections....

to connect to an infinite amount of realities and possibilities seems doable...

but within that concept....

you create more possibilities....

and the number of concepts and directions grows....

becomes ever expanding.....

creator being the summation of all things....

expands in much the same manner....

" The human mind is capable of conceiving and understanding anything. Many atheists would argue that the only forms of god which exist are those imagined and created in the human mind"

and there is a lot of truth to that.....

so... each having their own concept.... and each being right in their own understanding....

there becomes a creation of it for each of us.....

and the numbers continue to grow.....

and it gets more and more complex to the point of "you could drive yourself mad with it"......

to be aware of everything all at the same time......

the summation of everything.....

this is what i mean....

infinity expanding.....

Edited by the eternal me

"Any real god is understandable to humans BECAUSE it is real and thus definable and measurable/quantifiable, as are all real things. Any imagined god is certainly proof that we can wrap our minds around it, because at least one human being had to do so, to create/construct it."

we all can construct it in what we see is suitable for ourselves....

and the numbers keep growing....

its an ever expanding concept...

with the possibilities and probabilities growing as we think about it...

That made complete sense to me. i actually agree with all of it except, perhaps, in my knowledge there exists a real physicla independent cosmic consciousness, with which all other consciousnesses interact. it is not just a construct of our mind but exists separate to our consciousness as well as being a part of it. And so my consciousness, with luck and practice, can connect not just to the cosmic consciousness but through it to all consciosness Also, because this conscious awareness is inrerconnected to the physical world, it can influence and shape the physical world. (As can all self aware sapient and conscious beings, in one way or another)

• Like 1