Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My favourite haunting case

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hello there, I came acroos this site on Yahoo. I have always been interested in the unexplained all of my life. When I was a little kid while others played basketball, I sat and read deep into books of ghosts, ufo's, big foot, and loch ness. I am now 18 and got a chance to put up a website on one of the most controversal cases of all. The Amityville Horror. There are many people that say it is a hoax, but people will always stick to what they believe and I believe it is a very good example of paranormal happenings. I believe it is true.

I really love this site and I think for those interested in the unexplained they will be interested in this site.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reese92

• odinsupreme

• Saru

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Lance,

You are correct when you say that the Amityville horror case is very controversial. It is regarded as one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated on the American public. The whole case is a combination of mis-stated or made up facts, urban legend, and greed. What was basically a brutal murder carried out by a spoiled, troubled youth (who was just denied parole in 1999 by the way), suddenly became this sensational, paranormal occurrence involving ghosts, the devil, possession and even an evil curse. All of this came about upon the publication of Jay Anson's book "THE AMITYVILLE HORROR". I won't even go into disputing all the "facts" that Anson writes about, suffice to say that not everything you read is true, and that people always have their own agenda in mind when it comes to making money. It behooves everyone to do a lot of investigating on their own in order to form an opinion on anything. Here is an excellent link to a website that explores the Amityville tale, www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/7036/Amityville.html

and to show you that it is not biased one way or another, there are links to other Amityville websites that share opposite viewpoints on this website. They're there to help you come to your own decision regarding the Amityville horror.

Magikman

Guest Guest

Hey thanks for the links! Actually I've been to just about all of them especially the Amityville Murders site (great site). There was a documentary on this particular case on the History Channel. There was also a book called The Amityville Horror Conspiracy that was written by a man who claimed to be in the house. Actually he wasn't in it but a mere couple of minutes and was thrown off the property by George Lutz himself for being very disruptive. Well, I have to go. I'll be back again as this is my new favorite website!

Guest Guest

Lance,

You're welcome, although the link was intended for those who aren't as informed as you and might be interested in investigating the case further. I would be interested in seeing the web-site you have set up. Would it be possible for you to provide a link?

I also saw the program on the History Channel. Interesting how no one in Amityville would co-operate with the filming of the special.

The book by Dr. Stephen Kaplan is a fascinating one. I don't know how you came about the information of George Lutz kicking Dr. Kaplan off the property. You get the impression from the book that George's anger may have been prompted by accusations of inconsistencies in his stories, requests for payments from newspapers and television in order to interview him(apparently his business was suffering before any of the reported paranormal occurrences), and the overall stress of public exposure. In my own mind I don't discount the possibility of poltergeist activity(because of the children and the fact of the sudden, brutal deaths of the victims), but even this pales in comparison with the charade that developed over time. It all leads back to Anson's heavy-handedness and duplicity in seeking sensationalism in order to insure the success of his book. Unfortunately, most people's impressions were derived wholly from his book, or worse yet, the movie, neither of which included the real facts of the case.

Don't get me wrong, there are very real paranormal occurrences that happen to people(myself included, involving my father), but this just isn't one of them, not to the extent that some people want you to believe, anyway.

Magikman

Guest Guest

I am sorry, I meant to provide the link when I started this discussion! Please by all means! This is the URL: www.geocities.com/amityville112

Very nice site - This discussion thread is actually the first I've heard about the AmityVille case, and it is very interesting. It has almost every classic ghost activity type imaginable, and emphasises how hauntings can cause such emotional devastation to those who encounter them.

Again, very good site + very atmospheric audio ! :)

• 6 months later...

I didn't even know this thread was here.  I just watched something the other day on this, and it was full of facts supporting that it was a hoax based loosely on fact.  Very interesting.  I had always taken for granted that everything really happened.  In my small town there is something of a similar case.  Two kids went beserk and killed four of their family members while they slept. Supposedly due to the intervention of evil spirits.  I have had the honor of staying in the farmhouse that it happened in, and nothing out of the ordinary took place.  It is a very creepy house, but nothing paranormal happened.  Unless you think the lights going on and off is paranormal.?  I want more proof than that, though.

Reese  :-*

Man, I am missing al the fun. In the Netherlands there are no haunted places, and if they are her, no one knows of it! There are rarely sightings of UFO's around here, in belgium was a wave of sightings...

Odin Supreme 8)

I am sure you have haunted sites somewhere near you?  You just need to look on the internet..  Here they have a website that gives you a state by state directory of them, all you have to do is click on your state, or the state that you are interested in.

Reese :-*

Yes, i have visited a site like that, I can;t remember the name... There was 1 story from the Netherlands it seemed to be extremely fake!

Odin Supreme   8)

I don't remember the name either. I go to a search engine like Google, or my personal favorite, Dogpile.  Then I type in "Haunted Places"  and it gives me the website.  The ones from this one website are nationally known haunted places.  They have been investigated.  Too me, they are all fake, until I see it with my own eyes, that is!

Reese :-*