Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Robin Hood-did he exist?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

i heard it began with william walace heard on time team or something, dont know how the english adopted the tales

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#17    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,256 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yes, Robin Hood did exist, but he was just one of many outlaws in the area.
He stole from the rich, and the poor, and kept it.

#18    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostEldorado, on 13 February 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Now that we've (probably) established that he (probably) did indeed exist, I can't help but wonder...  did he really wear tights and a rather effeminate looking wee hat?
  Off course not, that was the American version (Errol Flynn), and why Lincoln Green,when he lived in Nottingham ???.They often twist our History around to suit the Film Moguls, because they haven't any real history going back a 1000 yrs or more.I,ve also argued with an American guy in New York , that the RMS Queen Mary, and RMS Queen Elizabeth were British ships, not American.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#19    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,216 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

It's also an airport in Sheffield. :yes:

#20    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postali smack, on 08 February 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

was he made up or real

I don't know for sure myself but I knew a man from England that lived near where Robin H did. He swears that Robin Hood is real but Hollywood has romanticized it. Maid Marion was really his sister, not his lover.

Edited by SpiritTraveler, 28 February 2013 - 08:19 AM.

Posted Image

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

There were no doubt no end of thieving gangs in the forest that could have served as a model if they got involved in politics.

Stories like this are useful in that they tell us things about the culture of the time they were written, not of the time they supposedly took place.

#22    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,893 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostSpiritTraveler, on 28 February 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I don't know for sure myself but I knew a man from England that lived near where Robin H did. He swears that Robin Hood is real but Hollywood has romanticized it. Maid Marion was really his sister, not his lover.

Ealdwita snippet......

Historians cannot agree the exact location of Robin Hood's adventures, and as for Marion.........She's been known over the years as the Lady Marion FitzWalter, Clorinda - Queen of the shepherds, Mathilda, and 'the Forestwife'. In some legends, she dies before Robin, either in battle or from plague, others tell of her retiring to a convent after Robin's death. It's thought that she may be a later addition to the Robin Hood legends imported from French storytelling and English Mayday games.

OK, that's it for now, get back to work!

Edited by ealdwita, 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#23    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,893 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 22 February 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

and why Lincoln Green,when he lived in Nottingham ???.

The colour was named from the town (Lincoln) that produced that particular colour of cloth at that time. Coventry blue and Kendall green were other examples.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#24    0lly

0lly

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hi, newbie here. A pardon has recently been found for Robin Hood, so we know he was real. He was jailed for his part in the Peasants Revolt in York, the Lord Mayor who caused people to riot was the Lord Mayor called John Gisbourne, he wasn't popular.

The reality is different from the films and books because of course nobody knew who he was, so he has become shrouded in myth, if you want to know more please feel free to ask, but it isn't half as exciting as we are led to believe from the films.

Edited by 0lly, 04 August 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#25    0lly

0lly

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 February 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I picked up one item of interest -- the name "Robin Hood" was probably made up, even if it was modeled after a real person.

The version I have of it (not too clear) is that he was a Saxon fighting for Saxon rights against the new French nobility, personified by Henry.  Also he was a supporter of Richard, who was also a Saxon, so that doesn't quite total four.

About his name. Robin was born ‘Robert Dore’ which is a village in modern Sheffield, you can google it if you like, it has an interesting history. Presumably his natural father was from there, hence the name, then after killing his step-father he fled from Loxley and met up with the millers son who from the Freedom Rolls was called Adam Hode (Hood) and that is what he has been called ever since. I’m assuming the millers son was one of the Merry Men who appears in the ballads as Much the millers son?

Robin Hood being saxon and living in the time of king John et al is wrong the king of the ballads is Edward and the Peasants Revolt was about four years after Edwards death, so I'm assuming Robin was born sometime after Edward came to the throne in 1327.

#26    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 12 February 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

As a native of Nottinghamshire, I am bound to say that he was 100% real!

Of course. Just like the residents around Loch Ness will be the first to testify under oath that Nessie exists. _-)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#27    0lly

0lly

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 12 February 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

As a native of Nottinghamshire, I am bound to say that he was 100% real!

Yes, Robin was real and so was the sheriff. Guess which one came from Yorkshire and which one came from Nottingham. :yes:

Clue: it wasn't Robin Hood who came from Nottingham.

Edited by 0lly, 04 August 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Something most people don't realize (and usually don't want to realize -- not romantic enough) is that mythical cycles (individual myths are rare -- they are usually clusters of myths centered around a single individual or single event) can arise from whole cloth in a generation or two, with utterly no historical foundation.

You do not need actual people or actual events to start a mythical cycle.  Field anthropologists have demonstrated this many times studying oral societies.

This fact and the fact that any myths one has will have been altered immensely even if they have history under them renders searches for any historical root a considerable waste of time.

#29    0lly

0lly

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 August 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Something most people don't realize (and usually don't want to realize -- not romantic enough) is that mythical cycles (individual myths are rare -- they are usually clusters of myths centered around a single individual or single event) can arise from whole cloth in a generation or two, with utterly no historical foundation.

You do not need actual people or actual events to start a mythical cycle.  Field anthropologists have demonstrated this many times studying oral societies.

This fact and the fact that any myths one has will have been altered immensely even if they have history under them renders searches for any historical root a considerable waste of time.

I assume you did not read #24 where I said a pardon had been found?

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

That did not impress me.  It could be coincidence, fraud, or just an invention.  I'm not saying someone with such a name might not have existed, but that the stories do not need a historical core to get started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users