Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Types of Ghosts

ghosts

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Kahn

Kahn

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

• Ignorance is no substitute for intelligence.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Interesting methodology,  I'll bite.
I would add to each category the following criteria (more than one can apply):

No trace - The apparition leaves no trace of it's appearance behind.  (Obviously, this excludes every other category.)
Physical evidence - The apparition leaves ectoplasm or material objects behind (objects must have materialized or "appear", not moved from one physically nearby spot to another).
Material interaction - The apparition moves objects (open doors, moves furniture or objects around).  This includes recordings of this phenomenon.
Recorded evidence - The apparition was captured by audio or image recording equipment in a manner as to not leave any doubt that "something" is there. Alternatively, the apparition leaves a trace of its physical presence behind (foot prints or hand prints for example).

You might be able to subdivide or add to this as you like.

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,127 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostHilander, on 21 June 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

How do you do a scientific study on something that is there one minute and gone the next.  It can't be done, at least not at this point.  Maybe it will be back and maybe it won't and if it is a repeating phenomenon when will it be there the next time.  These studies cost money and time.    I have seen a ghost but how I would prove it to anyone I don't know.

I don't think there is any such thing as the ghost of the living.

But that's not always the case now is it?  This site is repleat with stories of ghosts that aledgedly appear in the same spot at the same time day after day.  Such occurances are also common in both ghostlore and ghost hunting TV shows.

If that's truly the case and ghosts are real as some claim, then it would be quite simple to prove their existence beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#18    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,832 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 June 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

But that's not always the case now is it?  This site is repleat with stories of ghosts that aledgedly appear in the same spot at the same time day after day.  Such occurances are also common in both ghostlore and ghost hunting TV shows.

If that's truly the case and ghosts are real as some claim, then it would be quite simple to prove their existence beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I have said this a thousand times......

Ghost hunting groups here, all over the net, and those famous guys on TV claim all the time of " I just saw a ghost"...

It is amazing how many see them while investigating, but the cameras are never facing that way.

What I have said, and suggested in emails, wear a GoPro camera.....A POV camera......Simple to do, easy to do. Whatever you are looking at, the camera is looking at.

If they can do it on motorcycle helmets, Wakeboard helmets, Skateboard helmets, Skydiving Helmets, etc.... Why not on a ghost hunter?

I know the answer......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#19    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,001 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

View Postrashore, on 22 June 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

The existence or not of ghosts aside... It's an interesting way to classify them. How did you come up with it Wolfe?
Posted Image

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#20    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,127 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostSakari, on 22 June 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have said this a thousand times......

Ghost hunting groups here, all over the net, and those famous guys on TV claim all the time of " I just saw a ghost"...

It is amazing how many see them while investigating, but the cameras are never facing that way.

What I have said, and suggested in emails, wear a GoPro camera.....A POV camera......Simple to do, easy to do. Whatever you are looking at, the camera is looking at.

If they can do it on motorcycle helmets, Wakeboard helmets, Skateboard helmets, Skydiving Helmets, etc.... Why not on a ghost hunter?

I know the answer......

Yep.

How about a small helmet with four Go Pro HD cameras - one pointing in each direction with overlapping field of view?

That rig would cost less than $2,000.

And while we're at it, why are the EVPs always caught on the $20 digital recorder, but not on the $5,000 sound recording equipment that the audio engineer is running?

Edited by Rafterman, 23 June 2013 - 02:02 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#21    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,622 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Oh, come on guys.. Get off the ghosts don't exist argument long enough to let the OP explain how he came up with this theory and why he thinks it's a good one. It's not that I don't agree with you all, but I want to see where this theory is coming from, and I'll never find out if the OP keeps having to argue about the existence or not.

#22    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,001 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postrashore, on 23 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Oh, come on guys.. Get off the ghosts don't exist argument long enough to let the OP explain how he came up with this theory and why he thinks it's a good one. It's not that I don't agree with you all, but I want to see where this theory is coming from, and I'll never find out if the OP keeps having to argue about the existence or not.

Well, With the other threads he had made, e.g. alien thread and the stare straight and see ghosts thread, he has avoided asking that questions on there he got this information from.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#23    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,127 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postrashore, on 23 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well he'd actually have to come back and participate to do that.

#24    greywolfe

greywolfe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• There are just as many ghosts of the living as there are of the dead.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postrashore, on 22 June 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

The existence or not of ghosts aside... It's an interesting way to classify them. How did you come up with it Wolfe?
I noticed that some ghost are seen just going about there business completely oblivious to the people who see them. Other ghosts interact with people and some people see images of themselves either ahead or behind in time of where they currently are. This forced me to try and list the types in an effort to understand the phenomena.

#25    greywolfe

greywolfe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• There are just as many ghosts of the living as there are of the dead.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostSakari, on 21 June 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

I do not " believe " they can be explained, I " know " they can.

I have posted thousands of replies, explaining many claims, so have others. They are all over this site. There is also a topic called " sightings from skeptics ".....

If you really need me to repeat what is all ready posted I will, after you show me evidence that has not been seen, that is compelling, and would get a Universities attention.
Photographs, voices on tapes, infra-red signatures ..............all can be manipulated to either prove or disprove the reality of ghosts. From day one I,ve always accepted the statements of observers especially when being told first hand and face to face of an encounter. If someone says to me "I saw an apparition walk through a wall " - to me this is a real deal. The strongest proof I will put forward is the sheer volume of sightings since the dawn of time. For a skeptic to decide that 1.000.0000.0000+...........events have all been errors is completely beyond my comprehension and will remain so. I want to discuss and understand the nature of reality. To still be asking the question "Do ghost exist" is wasting time. For us to converse on the subject will never be productive for either side.

#26    born2run

born2run

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• "I am afeared there are few die well that die in battle".
    King Henry V,Act IV. Scene i.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

:yes: Love the topic, tyvm. I went through about 20 books on "paranormal-ghosts section, usually, aand found some difference in all 20, some were exactly alike, using the same Heading" but then the characteristics of the "ghosts" cited under that particular "heading", might be worlds apart. Others were almost copies of each other in description(s) of "ghosts'. Checking the date of printing and  copyright date were nice to see which book for instance came out first. There seemed to be some "usual ghostly types" cited in just about every book but after the "common types" thinhs got a little confusing. Interesting notion to classify "something " that more than just a few "intelligent folks' don't believ in. :tu: :yes:

BTW, as for "ghosts", I have encountered several at almost every Civil War battlefield site that I have ever gone to as a 'reenactor". Either seen, talked with, or once ate lunch in the presence of one,  at Gettysburg, in "Devil'sDen". "He ot "it did all the talking, then went around a boulder there and simplly "vanished'.

Edited by born2run, 24 June 2013 - 06:58 PM.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :no:

#27    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,832 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Postborn2run, on 24 June 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

BTW, as for "ghosts", I have encountered several at almost every Civil War battlefield site that I have ever gone to as a 'reenactor". Either seen, talked with, or once ate lunch in the presence of one,  at Gettysburg, in "Devil'sDen". "He ot "it did all the talking, then went around a boulder there and simplly "vanished'.

And not one picture to show us...... :innocent:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#28    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

You know what, I am going to do a list of ghosts that I can think up.

1. The Car Keys Ghost.
The ghost moves the car keys around to make it difficult to find, the at times move your keys BACK to the place you last left it. Car Key ghost lives on the life force of people getting frustrated. Do not mix this ghost with the ghost of cellphone. They are brothers.

2. The Ghost of a creaky floor boards.
This ghost is made of moister and pressure. He normally spends his day putting pressure and moisture so that at night to make those floor boards creaky.

3. Ghost of a chance.
I don't know what this ghost is or what he does, but he sounds SO awesome.

4. Ghost Of pushing dust towards digital cameras.
These ghosts normally follow people with cameras and when those people take a photo he will throw dust at them.

5. Ghost of ghost radar.
He just makes sure the app doesn't crash

6. the silent ghost of evps
This ghost doesn't say any thing but always gets blamed for iterupting living peoples conversations.

7. Ghost Of Ghost photos
This ghost will help the living in picking a fake ghost for their photos. She will normally just stand behind and go yeah that one, the one in the pink tux.

8. The ghost of Youtube.
This ghost doesn't exsist.

#29    Crow T. Sharkbot

Crow T. Sharkbot

I'm not a Mutant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

View Postgreywolfe, on 24 June 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

1. From day one I,ve always accepted the statements of observers especially when being told first hand and face to face of an encounter. If someone says to me "I saw an apparition walk through a wall " - to me this is a real deal. The strongest proof I will put forward is the sheer volume of sightings since the dawn of time.

2. To still be asking the question "Do ghost exist" is wasting time. For us to converse on the subject will never be productive for either side.

1. When you're talking people face-to-face, especially someone who looks like an innocent, truthful looking man, it is more than likely you are going to believe it, especially if you're only looking for positive reinforcements to support your own experiences.

I'll tell you, there are two things you should never, ever rule out. Lies, and misunderstandings. No matter how truthful the person you're talking to you looks. Making up a ghost story is pretty harmless, and it's victimless, If someone says, "I saw an apparition walking through a wall", there's still the possibility of him lying. Again, if you think I'm saying all people who claim to see ghosts are liars, I'M NOT, and there's also misunderstandings and misinterpretations and other factors to consider.  

2. It's not a waste of time AT ALL. Assuming ghost sightings happen so briefly, (Some people only experience it only once or twice in their whole lives, for a brief few seconds), It is still profitable to argue if ghosts exist or not, or if there's any other phenomenon causing this. If there is any phenomenon or factor causing these ghost sightings, it'd still be fascinating. Nobody's an expert on ghosts, or the paranormal. Are you an expert on ghosts?

#30    Exorcist

Exorcist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks to OP for this post, although I tend to not believe in ghosts, I enjoyed the categorisation you came up with.

I agree with Space_Jockey that many so called ghost-encounters are merely lies and tall-tales. The rest are caused by natural phenomena which are interpreted to have a paranormal source by the witness, or are figments of the witnesses psyche/mental state. Of course, this adds nothing to the endless and fruitless debate of whether ghosts exist. The thing is, though, that not one single concrete shred of evidence has ever emerged to prove their existence.

If they do exist, then why, in this age when everyone has a phone capable of taking good quality photos and video, has there never been one single image of a ghost which isn't a fake?

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

Also tagged with ghosts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users