Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Mafia

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 22 March 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Yeah it is a very interesting book,to see how these people really were and thought was eye opening.I have read it about 5 times since i bought it,always finished it thinking......He may not have been a perfect person but John Dillinger was a badass haha

I haven't yet read the book. I have a small library of things to read. The factoids about Barker and Kelly come from other sources. Here's another piece of bank-robber trivia. Bonnie Parker was just 4'11. They could cast one of the Olson twins in the remake. I think that Ashley and Mary Kate are both around 5'. Maybe smoking really does stunt your growth.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#17    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 March 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

I haven't yet read the book. I have a small library of things to read. The factoids about Barker and Kelly come from other sources. Here's another piece of bank-robber trivia. Bonnie Parker was just 4'11. They could cast one of the Olson twins in the remake. I think that Ashley and Mary Kate are both around 5'. Maybe smoking really does stunt your growth.

Ok havnt read it yet,believe me i understand my collection of books almost runs me out of my own house sometimes haha.Trust me very good book,you will enjoy it!
I like the trivia only problem is last i saw only 1 was still smoking  :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#18    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,984 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 22 March 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Ok havnt read it yet,believe me i understand my collection of books almost runs me out of my own house sometimes haha.Trust me very good book,you will enjoy it!
I like the trivia only problem is last i saw only 1 was still smoking  :lol:

That's the one who dates a much older man. He just so happens to be Nicolas Sarkozy's brother! His daughter likely is in sixth or seventh grade. She's the same size as his girlfriend (thanks to smoking stunting her growth).

#19    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

The Black Hand, the Mob, all fascinating. Capone is my favorite but I'm also really interested in the LA mob scene.
My recommendation is Mickey Cohen by Tere Tereba. Also, Get Capone by Jonathon Eig. And if you're visitng Las Vegas, check out the Tropicana Hotel and see if their interactive Mobsters attraction is still open. Real life actors, holograms, mementos from Bugsy, Snorky (Capone), Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano and many others. Just fabulous.

#20    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,533 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

Is the book public enemies like the movie? I saw the movie? I like reading about the NYC mafia.. those guys are interesting characters. Never really read much out of the NYC 5 Families.. Carlo Gambino was bad ass. Vincent "The Chin" Gigante..How he pretended to be crazy for all those years to avoid capture..

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#21    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 23 March 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Is the book public enemies like the movie? I saw the movie? I like reading about the NYC mafia.. those guys are interesting characters. Never really read much out of the NYC 5 Families.. Carlo Gambino was bad ass. Vincent "The Chin" Gigante..How he pretended to be crazy for all those years to avoid capture..

It is a little like the movie have to remember hollywood always makes their own story haha.The book is way better though,much more informative.As i said dillinger was a badass haha.The book also talks about Machine Gun Kelley,Bonnie and Clyde,Baby Face Nelson,Pretty Boy Floyd,and the barker gang  :gun:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#22    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 17 March 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

Hey all. Anyone find the history of the NY Mafia interesting?? If so what most, and what key players do you find most interesting. I have this book called "The Mafia Encyclopedia" so awesome. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

What's interesting about the Italian/Sicilian Mafia in the U.S.? The large number of Jewish thugs.

#23    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

View Postredhen, on 24 March 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

What's interesting about the Italian/Sicilian Mafia in the U.S.? The large number of Jewish thugs.

There were a lot of Jews involved in organized crime and the list you provided makes fascinating reading. But they tended to keep their Jewish roots in the background. It was the Irish and the Italians who ruled the roost.

#24    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,984 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

View PostAntilles, on 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

There were a lot of Jews involved in organized crime and the list you provided makes fascinating reading. But they tended to keep their Jewish roots in the background. It was the Irish and the Italians who ruled the roost.

That changed during Prohibition. Jewish gangsters moved ahead of Irish gangsters during that time. Just look at Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel. They helped to form the Syndicate. They were major players. The only Irish gangster, who came close, was Owney Madden. He saw the importance of cooperation. Other Irish gangsters (and Jewish gangsters) learned the hard way. It wasn't safe to be too independent without the backing of a crime corporation. Look what happened to Mad Dog Coll and Dutch Schultz. They ticked off the Board of Directors. In *2013*, the Russian mobsters might be at the top of the OC food chain.

#25    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,891 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 18 March 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

haha nothing. actually if you read into it, the mafia originated in New Orleans i believe. Not sure with who, but it started there before spreading to NYC and other places.

Okay I honestly had no idea it all started here. I was reading about it on Wikipedia yesterday and recognised some of the family names, but I figured since NYC has always been the capital of the US, that it all started there with people moving out to Chicago then Vegas. Thanks for the info. :tu:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#26    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,042 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

My grandfather owned a billiard parlor in Chicago.    He ran booze for Al Capone.    His run was from Cicero (in Chicago) to South Bend Indiana.   He died in 1980 when I was 10.   I remember he had some neat old hand guns.

#27    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostMyles, on 26 March 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

My grandfather owned a billiard parlor in Chicago. He ran booze for Al Capone. His run was from Cicero (in Chicago) to South Bend Indiana.   He died in 1980 when I was 10.   I remember he had some neat old hand guns.

So tell us more. What do you know about him and his ties to Capone?

#28    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,042 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Unfortunately I don't know as much as I should.    I know that he borrowed money from Capone to build the pool hall.   In return, he would run shine.   He only had a thumb and one finger on his right hand.   Not sure how he lost his fingers.  I will do some research.

#29    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostAntilles, on 25 March 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

The Jewish mobs were quite powerful, in fact, with the large immigration of millions of Russian Jews during the 90s to Israel, there is a powerful Israeli/Russian Mafiya in Israel.

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 26 March 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

In *2013*, the Russian mobsters might be at the top of the OC food chain.

They are definitely amongst the top of the heap, we can't discount other Eurasian Organized Crime, Balkan Organized Crime, Italian Organized Crime, and Asian Organized Crime (D-Company, Chinese Triads, Japanese Yakuza, etc.) These are international crime organizations that operate overseas and in multiple countries and often collaborate with one another. But definitely the Russian Mafiya has to rank amongst the most powerful if not thee most powerful.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#30    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,984 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 02 April 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

They [the Russians] are definitely amongst the top of the heap, we can't discount other Eurasian Organized Crime, Balkan Organized Crime, Italian Organized Crime, and Asian Organized Crime (D-Company, Chinese Triads, Japanese Yakuza, etc.) These are international crime organizations that operate overseas and in multiple countries and often collaborate with one another. But definitely the Russian Mafiya has to rank amongst the most powerful if not thee most powerful.

That's a good point. There indeed is a lot of cohesiveness between crime groups in varied countries around the world, which is a scary proposition. Imagine if they created a real international organized crime syndicate that operates with the same kind of cooperation as the domestic Syndicate. I think that Italian and Sicilian groups do this now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users