Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth map

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Alara

Alara

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm quite unsure if this is the right section to post this topic. I'm curious, why is the map of our planet positioned so that Arctic is "up" and Antarctica is "down"? Why isn't it the other way around?

I'm sorry if the question is a bit silly but I'm curious when and by whom was this decided.

Love cures people -- both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,147 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:19 PM

... I'm curious, why is the map of our planet positioned so that Arctic is "up" and Antarctica is "down"? Why isn't it the other way around?

Well, one could think of it the other way around if one chooses to (up and down are relative concepts). I think positioning Earth with the Arctic "up" and the Antarctic "down" is more a matter of convention. That's my understanding anyway.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,537 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

Convention is pretty much the right answer. There are, however, lots of other ways to look at the world, including my favourite: a dymaxion map.

#4    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm quite unsure if this is the right section to post this topic. I'm curious, why is the map of our planet positioned so that Arctic is "up" and Antarctica is "down"? Why isn't it the other way around?

I'm sorry if the question is a bit silly but I'm curious when and by whom was this decided.

Because of the coordinates. North, South , East and west.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#5    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Hi all,

This is actually a very good question.  Not silly at all.

The concept of North being at the top of maps, or "up" was actually originated by the Greek astronomer, mathematician, and geographer Clauidus Ptolemaeus (a.k.a. Ptolemy) sometime around 150 c.e.   Since his original World maps, the convention has stuck, and that's been for over 1850 years.

I think the reason for the concept of North being up stems from the fact that at the time, most of the known world (at least to Ptolemy) was in the Northern Hemisphere, and virtually everyone in modern civilization lived there (again, that he or his contemporaries knew about).   The cardinal direction of North was established by observing the stars in the night sky, and seeing that they all seemed to rotate around a single point, very close to what today is called the North Star (Polaris).  This rather naturally became the cardinal direction of North, and logically became the primary direction from which everything else could be plottred in a coordinate system. Everything easily became oriented around that stationery point in the sky, at least in Western culture.  It was essentially fixed in one place, whereas the position of the rising or setting Sun, although generally at 90 degree angles to North, varied quite a bit throughout the year.  

Thus, it was some ancient Greek astronomer who lived about 18-1900 years ago who established this convention.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,599 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

As has been said, it is merely a matter of convention and it has not always been the case. Many ancient Chinese maps have East at the top. In fact the word orientation originally meant "to face East".

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users