Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

New Gun Law Push

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Days after mass shootings in both of his hometowns, President Barack Obama urged his most ardent supporters Saturday "to get back up and go back at it" and help push stalled legislation out of Congress so dangerous people won't get their hands on guns.

"We can't rest until all of our children can go to school or walk down the street free from the fear that they will be struck down by a stray bullet," Obama said in a keynote speech to the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation's annual awards dinner.

Legislation calling for expanded background checks failed to clear the Senate earlier this year despite a strong push by Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, people whose loved ones had been killed by gunfire and other gun-control advocates.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz2ff6ScOgH

​Here He goes with the, "It's for the children" line..... :no:

​And when he does that, I think of this....

​Link: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

That's gun control in a nutshell.....

Oh, by the way.....

Posted Image

Hmmmm......

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

This is an example of the failure of representative democracy -- single interest voters, in this case those with some sort of emotional attachment to their guns -- can override the wishes of the majority by concentrating their vote and scaring the politicians (or even electing their members).

The average voter makes decisions based on many issues, the single-interest voter doesn't, and hence can run a given issue in spite of what most want.

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 September 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

This is an example of the failure of representative democracy -- single interest voters, in this case those with some sort of emotional attachment to their guns -- can override the wishes of the majority by concentrating their vote and scaring the politicians (or even electing their members).

The average voter makes decisions based on many issues, the single-interest voter doesn't, and hence can run a given issue in spite of what most want.

There is a reason we have a second amendment. To protect ourselves from criminals, and a corrupt government.

I am not "emotionally attached" to my guns, but they are mine, and no one is taking them from me.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostBurt Gummer, on 22 September 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

There is a reason we have a second amendment. To protect ourselves from criminals, and a corrupt government.

I am not "emotionally attached" to my guns, but they are mine, and no one is taking them from me.
The Second Amendment is an anachronism.  Your second sentence belies your claim.

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

12 months out from major Congressional elections - never gonna happen.

He's all bluster at this point.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 September 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

12 months out from major Congressional elections - never gonna happen.

He's all bluster at this point.
Sad but true.  More people will die unnecessarily.

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,743 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

we already have like 20000 gun laws on books, yea, few new once sire will work.  NOT

i bet he wont even mention mental health , again

Edited by aztek, 22 September 2013 - 11:57 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,743 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 September 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Sad but true.  More people will die unnecessarily.

tens of thousands die each year in dui accidents, don't see you complaining about that.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

The reason you have a second amendment, is because a million years ago when the amendments were completed, you carried your gun around with you everywhere. Im pretty sure we are in the 21st century... well I am, i know some people are still suck in other generations. Shame really.

I beleive in most of the amendments, but I also think it holds americans back too.... Times change... times change.

Im lucky i wasnt brought up in such a psychotic... OH i mean patrioatic country.

Cheers.

Posted Image

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

View Postaztek, on 23 September 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

tens of thousands die each year in dui accidents, don't see you complaining about that.
You ever hear of "Two wrongs don't make a right?"

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 23 September 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

The reason you have a second amendment, is because a million years ago when the amendments were completed, you carried your gun around with you everywhere. Im pretty sure we are in the 21st century... well I am, i know some people are still suck in other generations. Shame really.

I beleive in most of the amendments, but I also think it holds americans back too.... Times change... times change.

Im lucky i wasnt brought up in such a psychotic... OH i mean patrioatic country.

Cheers.
My understanding is that Madison gave into pressure from southerners who wanted to be sure the Federal government did not disarm their state militias, which was the way the southern states had for suppressing slave revolts.  He did not include it with the important rights of the First Amendment because he didn't think it as important.

So the reason for the amendment is long past.  We also have to note that modern guns were not dreamed of back then, when it took several minutes to get off a second shot.  If you want to take the amendment seriously you have to rule out modern guns from its scope and limit it to the old muskets.  A second reason why the amendment is an anachronism.  Of course the whole Constitution is by now an anachronism, as we see from the gridlock when President is one party and Congress or part of Congress is another.  The Constitution provides no way of dealing with parties nor with this sort of gridlock, unlike most governments in the world that have Parliamentary systems.

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,641 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 September 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Frank do you have a poll to back up that statement?  The anti-gun crowd IS very vocal...but there is a reason they haven't managed to get their way yet.  And it isn't because they are a majority on the issue - that is counter-intuitive.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#13    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,743 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

why talk about taste of pineapple if you never tasted it??

RESIDENT TROLL.

#14    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,743 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

View Postand then, on 23 September 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Frank do you have a poll to back up that statement?  The anti-gun crowd IS very vocal...but there is a reason they haven't managed to get their way yet.  And it isn't because they are a majority on the issue - that is counter-intuitive.
also antigunners wont to anything other than bi..tch and moan. and use tragedies to their advantage. pro gunners (nra) actually affect politics with our contributions, i,m not aware of any antigunner sending their own hard earned money to take someones guns away.

money talks, b.s. walks

Edited by aztek, 23 September 2013 - 12:33 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#15    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postaztek, on 23 September 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

also antigunners wont to anything other than bi..tch and moan. and use tragedies to their advantage. pro gunners (nra) actually affect politics with our contributions, i,m not aware of any antigunner sending their own hard earned money to take someones guns away.

money talks, b.s. walks

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 23 September 2013 - 12:35 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users