Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why is homophobia commonplace?

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#406    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,257 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

On another note:

1. Supreme Court hearing Gay Marriage arguements today and tomorrow. California Prop 8 and the "Defense of Marriage Act" are both under scrutiny.
http://www.chicagotr...,0,727855.story

2. Those crazy French storming Paris to prevent gay marriage and gay adoption. Supposedly somewhere between 300,000 and a million people showed for the demonstration.
http://www.nytimes.c...rance.html?_r=0

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#407    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,909 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 27 March 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

I will admit that. It is a hard thing to prove if you want to keep your private life private.

That's the point isn't it? Some people like having private lives and don't want to avertise them, so I don't see why they should be made to 'prove it'.

That would be a down side of a Test. Gays would essentially be Registered, numbered and on a list.

That, to me, sounds very much like a bad thing and I really don't see many people going for it for any reason. It sounds too much like being put on a sexual offender list.

I bet you are right. I'd bet that mostly straight people would take the test to be sure they are not "secretly gay". (out of ignorance??)

Somehow I doubt that straight people would take the test. After all taking it would be like admiting you're gay even if you weren't.

It is a basic human desire to be accepted... Some people want to belong to the Majority, because it is "safe".

I agree it's a basic desire to be accepted, but why should people only expect that if they're in the majority?

I don't see those two situations as very similar. A better analogy in my mind would be suggesting to the black person, that if they wanted to be white, they could chose a long and potentially harmful treatment to do so. But simply suggesting something is a possibility is not an attack.

I suppose it depends on why you are suggesting it. If you are saying someone could do it, as the possibility is there, that's one thing. However you're suggested that gay people should do it to 'be normal'. Which isn't just suggesting it, but also giving an intent.

I find it rather neat that you keep harpin on an on about people being 'normal' but any mention that normality is an illusion and (in most cases) far from the expectation, it gets ignored.

That is a good question. I suppose there is as many straight lifestyles as there are straight subcultures. Just as there are probably multiple gay subcultures.

I think "lifestyle" reflects what you Actually do in your life. If you are only in hetero relationships, you're living a hetero lifestyle. Regardless of if you are gay, transgender, straight, bisexual, etc... A bisexual person might live as one lifestyle then the other.

See that's why I find the suggestion of a 'gay lifestyle' odd because there's nothing really unifying. You could get 100 gay men and 100 straight men and seen if each group had a unifying lifestyle and you'd quickly find that sexual orientation is just one of those things that doesn't create anyform of lifestyle that all (or even the majority) of either group would share.

That seems like an awfully broad definition of what a lifestyle is.

I can say as bi myself that I don't live in one or the other. I don't wake up one day and think 'oh today's gonna be a straight day, tomorrow's gonna be a gay day'. I don't flip and flop like that, it's pretty constant. Now by that I don't mean it's an even 50/50, I'm aware my orientation is skewed more towards one of the gender than the other, but it pretty much stay's that level all the time. Being in a relationship doesn't really change the lifestyle I'm in.

View PostDieChecker, on 27 March 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

On another note:

1. Supreme Court hearing Gay Marriage arguements today and tomorrow. California Prop 8 and the "Defense of Marriage Act" are both under scrutiny.
http://www.chicagotr...,0,727855.story

2. Those crazy French storming Paris to prevent gay marriage and gay adoption. Supposedly somewhere between 300,000 and a million people showed for the demonstration.
http://www.nytimes.c...rance.html?_r=0

Here's hoping they make the right choice. From what I've heard so far they've already poked holes in some of the anti-gay marriage arguements put before them.

The thing that annoys me most about those French protestors is that they didn't just storm Paris, they also stormed London. I just don't get what makes them think their 'concerns' are of interest to us.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#408    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,187 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I would expect the Supreme Court in the US will move cautiously, opening the door, or at least preventing it from being closed, but not forcing the Federal government or private companies to give spousal rights to gay partners.

I have, however, seen comments to the effect that six members of the court are ready to issue a sweeping general equality ruling.  They just may do it, or they may be cautious not wanting to cause a strong backlash.

In short, it depends on whether they do what is right or what is politically safe.

#409    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,257 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I would expect the Supreme Court in the US will move cautiously, opening the door, or at least preventing it from being closed, but not forcing the Federal government or private companies to give spousal rights to gay partners.

I have, however, seen comments to the effect that six members of the court are ready to issue a sweeping general equality ruling.  They just may do it, or they may be cautious not wanting to cause a strong backlash.

In short, it depends on whether they do what is right or what is politically safe.
Why would they care about political backlash? They are Judges for Life....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#410    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,604 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 25 March 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

My problem with the 'cause of homosexuality' being found is twofold. First opponents would have your attitude, in that it wouldn't matter they'd still make it so it was a choice.

It can be a choice...not that it should make any difference.

http://radaronline.c...stine-marinoni/

#411    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I wish people could just be who they are if they are not hurting anybody.  Fat, thin, old, young, gay, straight, rich, poor,  ad nauseam, ad infinitum. The main thing is to be kind.

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#412    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostMichelle, on 27 March 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

It can be a choice...not that it should make any difference.

http://radaronline.c...stine-marinoni/

Human sexuality is the capacity to have erotic experiences and responses.[1] Human sexuality can also refer to the way someone is sexually attracted to another person – which is determined by their sexual orientation – whether it is to the opposite sex (heterosexuality), to the same sex (homosexuality), having both these tendencies (bisexuality),[2] to all gender identities (pansexuality or bisexuality),[3] or not being attracted to anyone in a sexual manner (asexuality). Human sexuality impacts cultural, political, legal, and philosophical aspects of life. It can refer to issues of morality, ethics, theology, spirituality, or religion. Some cultures have been described as sexually repressive.

I think Cynthia Nixon is bisexual, which is a sexual expression that happens to be attracted to both sexes, so in that sense, yes, bisexuality lends to a choice between genders.

IMO care has to be used when one argues sexuality is a  choice, it is not-- for the heterosexual or homosexual.

http://en.wikipedia....Human_sexuality

Edited by Sherapy, 27 March 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#413    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,604 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostSherapy, on 27 March 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I think Cynthia Nixon is bisexual, which is a sexual expression that happens to be attracted to both sexes, so in that sense, yes, bisexuality lends to a choice between genders.

Well, you would know more about her sexuality than she does.

#414    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,187 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 27 March 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Why would they care about political backlash? They are Judges for Life....
They don't as individuals, obviously, but if you look at their history they often move politically.  The Supreme Court has no army and no statute making power; it depends entirely on other institutions to get its will carried out.  I rather hope I am wrong here and that they issue a sweeping edict ordering all states and the feds and all private companies to recognize gay marriages in their laws and benefits.  That would put an end to it and the nation could go onto other things.  It is where the world will end up sooner or later anyway.

#415    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,187 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostMichelle, on 28 March 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I don't think a bisexual has any choice about it; they are a bisexual.  They can and perhaps have a luxury denied others of passing on one side of their nature, but they have no more choice about what they are than anyone.

#416    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I don't think a bisexual has any choice about it; they are a bisexual.  They can and perhaps have a luxury denied others of passing on one side of their nature, but they have no more choice about what they are than anyone.

If you read the link, she clearly explains no one has the right to define her sexuality for her and I agree. I don't think you would define a person that has experimented once with same gender sex as bisexual. She does not consider herself bisexual, even though she has experimented more than once, and who is anyone to argue with her?

Edited by Michelle, 28 March 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#417    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,187 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostMichelle, on 28 March 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

If you read the link, she clearly explains no one has the right to define her sexuality for her and I agree. I don't think you would define a person that has experimented once with same gender sex as bisexual. She does not consider herself bisexual, even though she has experimented more than once, and who is anyone to argue with her?
Reminds me of Joan Crawford's reported efforts to seduce Marilyn Monroe, but getting the response back that that was nice but she preferred men.  (I have no idea whether this story has even a sliver of truth in it).  We are what we are, no matter how much we might like to be something else.  Some people are smart, some people are religious, some people are liberals and some of us little conservitives (the Gilbert and Sullivan patter song comes to mind), some people are sociopaths, some are saints.  As a Buddhist I think maybe much of that comes from previous lives, much from what we inherit from our parents.  How much of it comes from how we are brought up is problematic, but if you look around you carefully you realize not really all that much.  We can and do slowly change what we are as we live by the decisions we make, but our basic nature is the product of a long, long history over which we can only hope to have some influence here and there.

#418    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostMichelle, on 28 March 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I agree that Cynthia has the sole right to decide how she is going to embrace, incorporate, and define her bisexuality.

Edited by Sherapy, 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#419    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostSherapy, on 28 March 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I agree that Cynthia has the sole right to decide how she is going to embrace, incorporate, and define her bisexuality.

Meow...you're showing your claws.

#420    awest

awest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Postali smack, on 26 February 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Why is homophobia so commonplace?
Why in our society is homosexuality hated and frowned upon. The same with Bisexuality regarding men.
But lesbianism and Bisexuality regarding women is thought as fine.
Anyone know why this is the case?

It is commonplace because it is something that is taught to children, either thru religion, relatives, or friends. It was almost non existent in many non Abrahamic societies such as the native Americans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users