Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 1 votes

Ghost sightings highest in 25 years


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,552 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits are higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report on haunted Britain.

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.

The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses, with a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.

The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.

Posted Image Read more...


Posted Image

#2    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,285 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

I blame television and the movies.


#3    tcgram

tcgram

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,448 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

View PostPaul Noise, on 26 April 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I blame television and the movies.
I agree, it's probably due to the recent interest in ghost hunting and such.   :yes:


#4    Belial

Belial

    Devilish chappy.

  • Member
  • 4,417 posts
  • Joined:28 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In a bag of skittles, on ocean keys beach.

  • dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

That and the economy, causing a whole lot more to be at home with no jobs and loads of spare time to sit around and wonder about spooks and wee ghosties :ph34r:

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#5    Black Hound

Black Hound

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Maybe folks are just more interested in the subjects and are actively going out looking for them. Regardless who or what has caused the increase in awareness, sure beats sitting home and doing nothing.


#6    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland OR

  • Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

Sightings are absolutely no indicator of greater activity. The last time I saw anything I could relate as supernatural (a ghost) was when I was three. Yet, I could spin a good tale about how one walked across my room last night and it would be taken as a sighting even when it is a bold-faced lie. This isn't even to mention other reports by honest people who were mistaken in what they are seeing.

Sightings mean nothing in the end of things.

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#7    Black Hound

Black Hound

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

View PostRhomphaia, on 26 April 2010 - 06:42 PM, said:

Sightings are absolutely no indicator of greater activity. The last time I saw anything I could relate as supernatural (a ghost) was when I was three. Yet, I could spin a good tale about how one walked across my room last night and it would be taken as a sighting even when it is a bold-faced lie. This isn't even to mention other reports by honest people who were mistaken in what they are seeing.

Sightings mean nothing in the end of things.
Might be greater activity by those sighting them. I resent my sightings being questioned, even compared to lies and I seldom make mistakes. So go back to counting beans or whatever you do to pass the time by thinking of ways to be nasty to people. :angry2: Your entire point is laughable.

Edited by Graveyard Hound, 26 April 2010 - 07:00 PM.


#8    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland OR

  • Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

View PostGraveyard Hound, on 26 April 2010 - 06:55 PM, said:

Might be greater activity by those sighting them. I resent my sightings being questioned, even compared to lies and I seldom make mistakes. So go back to counting beans or whatever you do to pass the time by thinking of ways to be nasty to people. :angry2:
So it's nasty to tell the truth that sightings alone are evidence of exactly jack ****?

Sightings are only a clue to spots to gather real evidence, not evidence in and of themselves. Those that deny this fact are simply deluding themselves and doing nothing but damaging the possibility of real investigation into the subject.

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#9    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,285 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

GH,

Don't take things so personally. It's a valid opinion and point. It may not be accurate in your case, and that's fine.

Rhomphaia,

Very good point you made.


#10    Belial

Belial

    Devilish chappy.

  • Member
  • 4,417 posts
  • Joined:28 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In a bag of skittles, on ocean keys beach.

  • dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Brain malfunctions ;)

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#11    DelusionalReasoning

DelusionalReasoning

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined:30 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middle of a Cornfield

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Someone left the containment unit open...call the Ghostbusters.


#12    herenow

herenow

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Massachusetts

  • I think I'm figuring it out

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

View PostRhomphaia, on 26 April 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

So it's nasty to tell the truth that sightings alone are evidence of exactly jack ****?

Sightings are only a clue to spots to gather real evidence, not evidence in and of themselves. Those that deny this fact are simply deluding themselves and doing nothing but damaging the possibility of real investigation into the subject.

Do you consider this real evidence?
There's a spot in the woods which I've hiked for almost 20 years and have consistently felt a strong vibe.
It is on a random section of trail amidst 5 miles of trails in a 200+ acre forest.
One day I examined a particular tree in this section of woods and found someone had placed a small clay amulet on the back of the tree.

Now isn't this odd - a random tree in the middle of the woods and 2 people being pulled to it?

I once saw what seems to be a shadow person at this tree.  I had never heard of a shadow person, but after finding the amulet I started doing a lot of research and this thing - which was there for about 15 seconds - was very real.


#13    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,285 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

View Postherenow, on 26 April 2010 - 10:29 PM, said:

Do you consider this real evidence?
There's a spot in the woods which I've hiked for almost 20 years and have consistently felt a strong vibe.
It is on a random section of trail amidst 5 miles of trails in a 200+ acre forest.
One day I examined a particular tree in this section of woods and found someone had placed a small clay amulet on the back of the tree.

Now isn't this odd - a random tree in the middle of the woods and 2 people being pulled to it?

I once saw what seems to be a shadow person at this tree.  I had never heard of a shadow person, but after finding the amulet I started doing a lot of research and this thing - which was there for about 15 seconds - was very real.

That is only evidentiary in the loosest sense. That's an anecdote. It's only evidence of the situation as you understood it to be. It doesn't make your initial prejudices nor your later conclusions correct, just similar to other anecdotes you have heard (either before or since). What someone wants when talking about evidence is a reasonable amount of time spent trying to deduce what took place, and enough support to concede that what is being presented has validity. What you are saying is "I thought I saw a shadow and other people did too and they called it _______, so that must have been what I saw too." This isn't evidence of anything. It's just a recounting of what you believe to have taken place. Evidence would be something tangible that someone could look too, duplicate, touch, see, recreate or even predict. It was a random happening, that while a pivotal point in your life, hold nothing other than curiosity and morbid interest in the minds of others. I understand that it was very real to you, and no one can say that it didn't happen, but what people sometimes are looking for is something other than a story. Just the same, thank you for sharing your story here.


#14    herenow

herenow

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Massachusetts

  • I think I'm figuring it out

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

View PostPaul Noise, on 26 April 2010 - 11:42 PM, said:

That is only evidentiary in the loosest sense. That's an anecdote. It's only evidence of the situation as you understood it to be. It doesn't make your initial prejudices nor your later conclusions correct, just similar to other anecdotes you have heard (either before or since). What someone wants when talking about evidence is a reasonable amount of time spent trying to deduce what took place, and enough support to concede that what is being presented has validity. What you are saying is "I thought I saw a shadow and other people did too and they called it _______, so that must have been what I saw too." This isn't evidence of anything. It's just a recounting of what you believe to have taken place. Evidence would be something tangible that someone could look too, duplicate, touch, see, recreate or even predict. It was a random happening, that while a pivotal point in your life, hold nothing other than curiosity and morbid interest in the minds of others. I understand that it was very real to you, and no one can say that it didn't happen, but what people sometimes are looking for is something other than a story. Just the same, thank you for sharing your story here.

Thank you for your input, Irascible,
This has been about a 5 month thing.
I understand what you're saying about 'feeling a vibe' as being completely subjective.
But how would you explain the fact that I have physical evidence that a person unknown to me has also been drawn to this random tree in the woods?  
There is nothing interesting about this tree, but finding the clay amulet has confirmed my initial prejudices in a way which has overwhelmed me.

I left a note at this tree, and months later received a response in the form of another amulet, which I have taken
from the site.
Again, this is a random tree on a random trail and cannot be seen while casually hiking.


#15    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

    Mean as Hell

  • Member
  • 2,355 posts
  • Joined:04 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

They must be getting agitated because 2012 is approaching and they know they're going to be crowded for space when nabiru whistles by.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users