Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Files shed light on MoD UFO desk closure

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,062 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Newly declassified files have provided new insight in to the reason the MoD stopped looking in to UFOs.

BBC News said:

The Ministry of Defence closed its UFO desk because it served "no defence purpose" and was taking staff away from "more valuable defence-related activities", newly released files show.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,031 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Which suggests one of two things, doesn't it; either that the MOD really do know the truth about UFOs, and knows without doubt what they are, or, and possibly more likely, that Nick Pope and the "X-Files Desk" was only ever a front , which was designed to give the impression that the MOD wasn't really that interested, while of course the real investigation of the UFO Phenomenon went on behind the scens, and is of course still going on.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

The MOD UFO Desk was always a one-way interface to procure and collate reports from the public and civilian/amateur UFO groups, never more so than during Pope's paper-pushing tenure.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#4    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

From the article:  
"A report from a man from Cardiff who claimed a UFO abducted his dog, and took his car and tent, while he was camping with friends in 2007"
That guy had one hell of a weekend.  Those pesky aliens, they cross interstellar space and turn out to be nothing but common thieves and dog nappers.

Edited by EnderOTD, 21 June 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#5    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,241 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 June 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Which suggests one of two things, doesn't it; either that the MOD really do know the truth about UFOs, and knows without doubt what they are, or, and possibly more likely, that Nick Pope and the "X-Files Desk" was only ever a front , which was designed to give the impression that the MOD wasn't really that interested, while of course the real investigation of the UFO Phenomenon went on behind the scens, and is of course still going on.
umm, those are the only two possibilities you could come up with?  Where's Occam when we need him..

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#6    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,603 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

The intelligence gatherers must have decided that any 'visitors' popping in indeed pose no threat to the military or defence.

Posted Image

#7    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 21 June 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

umm, those are the only two possibilities you could come up with?  Where's Occam when we need him..
So the more likely possibility is what, in your view? That the MOD have concluded that UFOs are nothing for them to be concerned about? That would surely imply that they must know what they all- all of them - are. Really, does that seem likely to you?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#8    Subsonicjourno

Subsonicjourno

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

• https://www.facebook.com/Unconqueredseries

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

it's more likely the MOD shut it down due to budget cuts

#9    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,241 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 June 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

So the more likely possibility is what, in your view?
What the article says...  And as the UFO/ET sections of this forum show quite well, the simple fact is that the vast majority of ufo's are explainable, and those that are left unexplained or even vaguely interesting, are of no real interest as they are no threat to anyone or anything.

That the MOD have concluded that UFOs are nothing for them to be concerned about?
Yes.  Or to be a little more accurate, they have explained most of them (and some no doubt are still threats, like lightning damaging a plane's avionics..) and the number of remaining, truly unidentified things is very low indeed, and doesn't contain anything worthy of having a special branch..  (And I'd hazard a guess that Nick Pope didn't exactly help to make that branch seem worthwhile... - sorry Nick, but it has to be said..)

That would surely imply that they must know what they all- all of them - are.
All?  That's silly.  So no, it most certainly does not.  Just from one viewpoint - there are many natural atmospheric phenomena we don't understand (ask any storm expert about lightning & ball lightning, sprites, plasma, and the like).  Then consider the human perception problem, and the huge past incentive to drum up the-aliens-are-coming bull to ensure higher levels of defence spending.  Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

So what's left?  Nothing of interest.  If you have anything new, let us know..

Really, does that seem likely to you?
Ah, no, of course not.  I forgot, gubmints are ebil and they always lie about everything, even when they tell the truth... Happy?

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#10    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

As it has been confirmed in the Disclosure project and the 2013 Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, these craft, whatever their origin, are capable of disabling dozens of nuclear missiles simultaneously. They have been documented to do so mid-air as well. The accounts are numerous and confirmed by a high number of military personnel, retired and active, high ranking and low-ranking. And the MoD says they are not a threat. And I'm sure these can be explained away as natural phenomena. You know what? Call them natural, I don't care, these are labels we like to stick on stuff. Point is, there is something going on and it needs further investigations, because the bottom line is, and let's be honest and humble here for a change, we don't understand what's going on, what or who they are, why they are here, why they do the things they do, how they do it, etc. You can't keep shouting swamp gas and weather balloons all the time, coupled with mass hallucinations and mental problems, and ignore all the abductions, mutilations, radiation, multiple radar tracks, foreign materials with weird properties, and now this Atacama humanoid, not to mention crop circles and the like. If it was one or two of these then the alternative explanations (in this case the natural ones) could be considered a possibility, but all this stuff all together? You can't just ignore the testimonies of all these jet fighters and nuclear silo military officers. Ben Rich wasn't exaggerating.

Edited by Rolci, 21 June 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 21 June 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

What the article says... And as the UFO/ET sections of this forum show quite well, the simple fact is that the vast majority of ufo's are explainable, and those that are left unexplained or even vaguely interesting, are of no real interest as they are no threat to anyone or anything.

Yes. Or to be a little more accurate, they have explained most of them (and some no doubt are still threats, like lightning damaging a plane's avionics..) and the number of remaining, truly unidentified things is very low indeed, and doesn't contain anything worthy of having a special branch.. (And I'd hazard a guess that Nick Pope didn't exactly help to make that branch seem worthwhile... - sorry Nick, but it has to be said..)

All? That's silly. So no, it most certainly does not. Just from one viewpoint - there are many natural atmospheric phenomena we don't understand (ask any storm expert about lightning & ball lightning, sprites, plasma, and the like). Then consider the human perception problem, and the huge past incentive to drum up the-aliens-are-coming bull to ensure higher levels of defence spending. Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

So what's left? Nothing of interest. If you have anything new, let us know..

Ah, no, of course not. I forgot, gubmints are ebil and they always lie about everything, even when they tell the truth... Happy?
:rolleyes: . I'm not one of those " gubmints are ebil " people, for heaven's sake. Is that the best your argument can come down to? I am, however, one of those "gubmints wouldn't be competent to organise a nice cup of tea" people, and my point was that the likelihood of the Ministry of Defence knowing all there is to know about the subject of UFOs does not seem very likely to me.
And they do lie as a matter of routine, surely you're not naive enough to think that they don't, only their lies are usually to cover up their lack of knowledge and/or that they've cocked up again, not because they know the Truth and they're covering it up.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#12    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 21 June 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Those days are over - there is too much science and good recording technology around nowadays for pilots to get away with making up stories.

I'm glad you brought that up. However it saddens me to see people being so gullible as to believe that these recording technologies are set up in a way that they will tell us everything we want to know about UFOs. If you HAD done any research you would've found out that all this "too much science and good recording technology" is set up in a very specific way. To give you a clue I recommend you watch a video in which Senator Bartlett and Congressman Cook ask FAA's John Callahan and USAF's Maj. George Filer: Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Rolci, 21 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Best piece of truth I have found so far: http://llresearch.or...of_one_pdf.aspx
A truly free society: https://sites.google...t-economy-today
The true history of our planet: http://www.floating-...rth_history.htm
Dialogues with The Absolute: unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot (dot) co (dot) uk/2011/08/eon-11aug2010.html
A wealth of metaphysical readings with a surprisingly high ratio of truth content: soulwise (dot) net/index-00.htm

#13    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostRolci, on 21 June 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

As it has been confirmed in the Disclosure project and the 2013 Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, these craft, whatever their origin, are capable of disabling dozens of nuclear missiles simultaneously. They have been documented to do so mid-air as well. The accounts are numerous and confirmed by a high number of military personnel, retired and active, high ranking and low-ranking. And the MoD says they are not a threat. And I'm sure these can be explained away as natural phenomena. You know what? Call them natural, I don't care, these are labels we like to stick on stuff. Point is, there is something going on and it needs further investigations, because the bottom line is, and let's be honest and humble here for a change, we don't understand what's going on, what or who they are, why they are here, why they do the things they do, how they do it, etc. You can't keep shouting swamp gas and weather balloons all the time, coupled with mass hallucinations and mental problems, and ignore all the abductions, mutilations, radiation, multiple radar tracks, foreign materials with weird properties, and now this Atacama humanoid, not to mention crop circles and the like. If it was one or two of these then the alternative explanations (in this case the natural ones) could be considered a possibility, but all this stuff all together? You can't just ignore the testimonies of all these jet fighters and nuclear silo military officers. Ben Rich wasn't exaggerating.
Where is the documentation of UFOs disabling nuclear missles?

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I thought it interesting that...

"The level of resources diverted to this task is increasing in response to a recent upsurge in reported sightings, diverting staff from more valuable defence-related activities."

So when an area needs more people to help investigate phenomena/reports, the better thing to do is close it down?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 21 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Where is the documentation of UFOs disabling nuclear missles?

Nowadays it's hard to figure out for what purpose any such superficial enquiry is made. Hoping the one source someone gives out of the thousands will be one the asker will be all to happy to attack and point out the questionable nature of? Anyway, have you tried google? I'm sure if you do proper research you will find what you're looking for. I could recommend the April 30th afternoon session of the Citizen Hearing. Great starting point for anyone. The testimonies of Capt. Robert Salas and Capt. David Schindele in particular. Don't forget, these men were sworn to secrecy. Do you think the military will publish the results of such investigations? All we have is videos, quite a few of those, good enough for some.

Best piece of truth I have found so far: http://llresearch.or...of_one_pdf.aspx
A truly free society: https://sites.google...t-economy-today
The true history of our planet: http://www.floating-...rth_history.htm
Dialogues with The Absolute: unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot (dot) co (dot) uk/2011/08/eon-11aug2010.html
A wealth of metaphysical readings with a surprisingly high ratio of truth content: soulwise (dot) net/index-00.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users