Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents To Be Punished For Kids Bad Behaviour

Still Waters

Parents have been warned by Education Secretary Michael Gove they will face punishments for failing to ensure their children arrive at school "ready to learn and showing respect for their teacher".

https://uk.news.yaho...48.html#mOX86Du

• Like 2

About time too!

They should get the Home Secretary to announce also that parents will be prosecuted for their childrens disgraceful behaviour, hooliganism and vandalsim. An 'asbo' is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Like 3

Where parents are found to be the driving factor for their child's misbehaviour then, if applicable, take away their cash unemployment benefits and replace them with food and clothing stamps for a month - that should get some focus back in the way that they approach Social Responsibility.

Where the offenders are employed then have an "attachment of earnings" imposed through their employer (should be fairly embarrassing).

I acted up all the time at school,it had nothing to do with my parents and more to do with me being a teenage punk rocker with no respect for the majority of my teachers.There are bad parents out there but young adolescents will be rebellious even with good parents,especially if taught by bad teachers who make no attempt to engage their pupils.I despise Gove he is Harry Enfields Tory Boy brought to life.

• Like 2

I acted up all the time at school,it had nothing to do with my parents and more to do with me being a teenage punk rocker with no respect for the majority of my teachers.There are bad parents out there but young adolescents will be rebellious even with good parents,especially if taught by bad teachers who make no attempt to engage their pupils.I despise Gove he is Harry Enfields Tory Boy brought to life.

If you acted up at school all the time, lacked respect for others and nothing was done at home to slap it out of you, it has everything to with your parents.

• Like 3

If you acted up at school all the time, lacked respect for others and nothing was done at home to slap it out of you, it has everything to with your parents.

I was told from grade one onward that if a teacher had to paddle me or I was sent to principal's office, I could expect ANOTHER paddling when I got home. I was no genius but a word to the wise was sufficient ;)
  • Like 3

I was told from grade one onward that if a teacher had to paddle me or I was sent to principal's office, I could expect ANOTHER paddling when I got home. I was no genius but a word to the wise was sufficient ;)

Likewise. :)

No I had no respect for most of my teachers,I was generally respectful to people I just liked playing up at school especially with teachers I didn't like.My parents did punish me they weren't happy with my behaviour at all.I wasn't a thief or a bully just rebellious.What I am trying to say is there are bad parents and they should be punished but some kids will be naughty no matter what.I had the cane,the slipper,ruler across the hand and that was nothing to what I got at home,it made no difference to me.Should my parents have got the blame for me? I don't agree

• Like 2

Parents have been warned by Education Secretary Michael Gove they will face punishments for failing to ensure their children arrive at school "ready to learn and showing respect for their teacher".

I think kids should be autonomous. Parents, after the child is too big to physically control, should not be punished for something their child does.

• Like 1

I think kids should be autonomous. Parents, after the child is too big to physically control, should not be punished for something their child does.

If the kids should be autonomous, they should be free to make their own decisions too, without parental consent then, right?

Todays Teachers are in the firing line and are not allowed to chastise or even touch children, then if they do, maybe in self defence, the Parents turn up and threaten physical violence, its a no win status.but during my school years the Teachers were ex-Gestapo and they had all the weapons.

• Like 1

Its about time this was tightened up and I notice today we are going to teach British values in our schools. I would like to see schools developed into a whole 3rd parent with the power to discipline children properly.

The cane was still legal when I was at school (N. Ire) 20 years ago. It worked and no its not abuse. Its in the kids best interests too as they dont go on to muck up their lives by getting criminal records.

If the kids should be autonomous, they should be free to make their own decisions too, without parental consent then, right?

Yep, they can choose to take their parent's advice or learn from their mistakes. I realize that the brain is done developing at around the age of 26. Until then, they should be guided. BUT they should make their own decisions, after hearing their parent's advice. IMHO.

FYI, I am not a control monger. And I don't like control mongers. My child has choices. He makes mistakes, seldom the same one twice.

Edited by regeneratia

Here's a case study for those saying this is a bad idea. A kid in my class acts up every single lesson, it doesn't matter what subject, how engaging or what teacher he has. His parent's response: "School's a waste of time and teachers are just people who failed at life. I hope you told them to **** off."

This boy is 8 years old. Tell me his parents aren't to blame for his attitude.

• Like 1

i have been seriously thinking this topic over and find i am a bit divided in this.

I think parents should be responsible for their children.. but sadly, i think if the child is 10+ maybe not. Under 10, yes.

I think teaching children manners, proper behavior.. what is expected of them.. the idea of 'consequences' for your actions.. is something you teach from birth up.

By the time the child is about 10, they KNOW what is expected, they may not remember the teachings from when they were under 6ish yrs of age, but they will KNOW.. and though they may screw up at times, they are easily put back on track. If parents are told 'you are responsible for your childs behavior', they will start early and teach them from the beginning.

Once a child hits preteen yrs though.. 10ish and up.. let's face it, if you have not taught them how to behave and if they feel 'owed' things, or.. they feel 'entitled', then it is ten times hard to get them out of those nasty thought habits.

I am not sure WHAT should be done then.

I think this 'lets count to three' thing is stupid, it just tells the child 'woohoo, two times i can do whatever.. '.. so really, seriously? wow.

ANyways, when the children are young, parents need to work their butts off teaching their children.

I think a lot of issues is also boredom. Kids are free to do whatever. How many actually have chores to do, and i dont mean 'paid chores'. i mean the chores of making your house a home. Helping with younger kids, working in a small family garden. Dad and mom dont do all the housework and yard work. And the kids dont get paid for it, any more then the parents get paid for it.

How many kids actually put in a good two hours of work a day? My kids did. We worked in the yard every freaking day, how else did the vegies get weeded? (really... weeding can be a daily C H O R E) mixed with laundry, dishes, cooking, sweeping.

My kids by the time they were 8 could do laundry and even iron! when they were 3, they knew how to put away play things and toss clothes into hampers. And they had a great childhood of playing, going to pples houses and having fun, swim lessons, karate.

I worked two jobs, their father when he was home usually was asleep on on tv. But i made they they learned things. It was hard work and at times I thought i was going insane.

But i look back now, my kids in their late 20's, and i see it was the right thing to do. teaching them responsibility, never using the excuse of 'but they are to young'.. never letting them use EXCUSES.. and never ever tolerating the idea they are 'entitled'. if they felt entitled bout anything, it was getting hugs, kisses.. play time.. my reading stories to them for hours at a time when i could.. and every free day going for walks with their friends and other parents to the park to have picnics and play time.

I think that is really what kids need. The ability to NOT feel 'owed to', the chance to realize giving feels better then taking all the time.. and they need to grow up with the idea that chores are not for money making, they are for 'making a home as a family'. Because mommy and daddy have chores AND jobs.. they have chores and school.

They learn that a home, making a home.. building a family has absolutely no financial value. It is all about the heart.

Today its gimme gimme gimme.

I have no solutions for those who are not taught such values by the time they are preteens or teens. I dont want to say 'it's to late', because that is ugly to me. I just do not know what the answer is.

Edited by willowdreams

In other words, "Parents, start raising your children!" And I agree.

• Like 2