Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did we domesticate dogs or vice versa?

domesticate dogs humans wolves

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,614 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

In the story of how the dog came in from the cold and onto our sofas, we tend to give ourselves a little too much credit. The most common assumption is that some hunter-gatherer with a soft spot for cuteness found some wolf puppies and adopted them. Over time, these tamed wolves would have shown their prowess at hunting, so humans kept them around the campfire until they evolved into dogs.

But when we look back at our relationship with wolves throughout history, this doesn't really make sense.

http://news.national...f-wolves-human/

Posted Image

#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Makes some sense,i have often wondered if i am walking my dogs,or if they are walking me  :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 1,766 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

we pick up their poop, and feed them, they live rent free and have no responsibility other than to look cute and bark at intruders... and thats more just being cute and instinct...... yeahhhhh i think somewhere along the line we stopped being the master here.

#4    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

not sure about domestication, but they sure train us as much as we train them.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 06 March 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

we pick up their poop, and feed them, they live rent free and have no responsibility other than to look cute and bark at intruders... and thats more just being cute and instinct...... yeahhhhh i think somewhere along the line we stopped being the master here.
i don't think we ever were the masters.
granted  I always called him my friend  not my dog or my pet.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 06 March 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,435 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

I view it more as a partnership. "We" are a pack of three. :yes:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#7    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I suspect we have evolved together to some degree as there was benefit to both. For example, have you noticed that dog "owners," that is those who feed the dog, seem to appreciate that their dog barks when agitated. The barking could be suppressed using simple behavioral methods, think Pavlov. But, the barking is not discouraged as there is a multiplication of awareness to potential danger for fearful humans. But, those individuals living outside of the clan or pack typically find the barking damnably annoying as it provides no benefit.

#8    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I think I see behaviour in fox's that is similar to the question posed in this thread.

My local fox's are a lot more 'friendly' than in years gone by, I would guess that due to hunger they are willing to risk approaching people in exchange for food as opposed to running from us. The flip-side to this new found confidence is the attacking of young children.

Whichever way round it happened I am sure the need for food was a big part of the equation and as highdesert50 and other have said, mutual benefits...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 07 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#9    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

We domesticated dogs, but cats are currently in the process of domesticating us...

#10    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't dwell all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

#11    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't feel all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't feel all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

#12    dummy2b

dummy2b

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE GOOD TO YOUR DOG AND KEEP HIM LONG ENOUGH HE WILL BEGIN TO LOOK LIKE YOU?

#13    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

What came first the chicken or the egg?

#14    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• 1,766 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostHilander, on 08 March 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

What came first the chicken or the egg?

i dunno but either way im hungry.

#15    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,781 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 07 March 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

We domesticated dogs, but cats are currently in the process of domesticating us...

Dogs have masters, cats have attendants.

Also tagged with domesticate, dogs, humans, wolves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users