Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The Science Delusion

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Speedlight drop from 1928 to 1945? :blink:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#3    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

....and unfortunately the worldview aspect has come to inhibit and constrict the free inquiry which is the very lifeblood of scientific endeavour.

Aye. There's no room for dogma in science.

In before "he's selling his book" and "it's no belief system".

I'll be gone.

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 29 September 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Aye. There's no room for dogma in science.

In before "he's selling his book" and "it's no belief system".

Rupert Sheldrake is amazing scientists. He wrote several "best buys". I think he is VERY well situated already. I used to discuss about his idea here on UM. Telepatic pets theory.
He discover that auxin is produced by dying plant cells. Sheldrake research telepathy between animals and humans. He wrote book „Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home.“ He also wrote book „The Sense of Being Stared At“ about psychic staring effect in which he describe experiment where he concluded that people have weak sense of being stared at. Both subjects interesting. Sheldrake proposed theory called „Morphic field“ for which there are many critics but also scientists who see Sheldrake idea logic. For example Physicist David Bohm said that Morphic resonance fits with his concept of quantum implicate order.
Sheldrake claim that there is a field which effect structure and pattern of activity. Morphic field can influence cells. Memories are passed from one generation to another. Even explain evolution with it. Cosmos super computer.
Sheldrake link Morphic field with Vedas Akashic records. (from akasha, the Sanskrit word for 'sky' 'space' or 'aether') Its library of knowledge supposedly encoded in a non-physical plane of existence known as the astral plane. Library of memories and experiences of human minds.

Anyway I dont know about this speed of light drop...

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I do like the vid, but I have no opinion as to the authenticities of his claims.

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,643 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Coming from a guy who puts forth his magical morphic resonance hypothesis, he's a bit of a hypocrite.

I didn't watch all of his accusations against science but those I did were wrong. Consciousness can't arise from matter because other things (like planets) aren't conscious?! By that reasoning cars aren't made of matter either.

Edited by Rlyeh, 29 September 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I guess we will have to wait Sepulchrave to show up about that speed of light thing.

#8    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,643 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Sheldrake link Morphic field with Vedas Akashic records. (from akasha, the Sanskrit word for 'sky' 'space' or 'aether') Its library of knowledge supposedly encoded in a non-physical plane of existence known as the astral plane. Library of memories and experiences of human minds.
Then no wonder he is attacking science, it doesn't support his superstitious beliefs.

Unsurprisingly Rupert Sheldrake is also a supporter of the Electric Universe theory.

#9    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Then no wonder he is attacking science, it doesn't support his superstitious beliefs.

Unsurprisingly Rupert Sheldrake is also a supporter of the Electric Universe theory.

So? Newton belived in God. Does that make Theory of Gravity isnt true?

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,643 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 29 September 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

There is a difference between believing and trying to make science accommodate your religious beliefs.

#11    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

So he's wrong because his arguments supports a "superstitious belief", a belief scientific community doesn't adhere with as a consensus? From the video:

"....and unfortunately the worldview aspect has come to inhibit and constrict the free inquiry which is the very lifeblood of scientific endeavour."

Do you see how that relates to what you say here?

I'll be gone.

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 29 September 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

So he's wrong because his arguments supports a "superstitious belief", a belief scientific community doesn't adhere with as a consensus? From the video:

"....and unfortunately the worldview aspect has come to inhibit and constrict the free inquiry which is the very lifeblood of scientific endeavour."

Do you see how that relates to what you say here?

He doesnt and probably never will.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 29 September 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

You'd be amazed the things Newton believed.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

The thing I will never understand about these periodic attacks on "science" is that "science" is just accumulated knowledge.  If one disagrees with some of the items in its accumulation, then do so; the edifice will remain.  If what you contribute adds to it, it will thank you.

#15    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,311 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Science does not purport to "know everything". However, in science, one is not to be lead by ones beliefs...but rather by the evidence available. Now, Dr. Sheldrake may or may not be 'barking up the right/wrong tree'. It will be the evidence that determines such questions.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users