Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thracian temple, of Zeus and Hera found

ancient lost found history

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Archaeologists in Bulgaria have found a Thracian temple and a sanctuary of Zeus and Hera in Sredna Gora in the central part of the country.

The discovery was made at a dig in the Kozi Gramadi region near the village of Starosel in the Hissarya municipality by a team of archaeologists from the National History Museum led by Associate Professor Ivan Hristov, National History Museum director Bozhidar Dimitrov told Bulgarian media on July 22 2013.

http://sofiaglobe.co...as-sredna-gora/

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

A few pics of the site would have been nice - not slamming you kannin... The article only had pics of a shovel (!) and a quick internet search only revealed a single photo of a pillar/column....

Thanks for posting though... That period of history was always a favorite of mine...

#3    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

mine as well and yeah sorry i did try to find more pics, but turned up the same results as you did, but i still thought it a good enough post for viewing :) ill try to update this post seeing as though im sure there will be pics of the site eventually

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#4    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thrace,...Spartacus was Thracian. He was one bad-a$$ mofo, they say.
Pretty OT, nice find of the temple though.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostEllJay, on 23 July 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Thrace,...Spartacus was Thracian. He was one bad-a$$ mofo, they say.
Pretty OT, nice find of the temple though.
indeed i was excited when i saw the article and knew i had to post it here

#6    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

im trying to find pictures now

#7    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

There won't be pictures perhaps save a few artifacts from the Iron age if we are lucky.

From the article in the OP:

The sanctuary of Zeus and Hera is believed to have been destroyed in the fifth century CE to enable Christians to build a nearby small single-nave church.

The sanctuary was most likely destroyed. Wish the earlier Christians were not so hell bent on destroying every other belief system...

#8    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 23 July 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

There won't be pictures perhaps save a few artifacts from the Iron age if we are lucky.

From the article in the OP:

The sanctuary was most likely destroyed. Wish the earlier Christians were not so hell bent on destroying every other belief system...
i agree, so many beautiful structures and artifacts destroyed for a what was back then a "bully" religeon, its sad that alot of these wonderful things have been destroyed for similar purposes, makes me sick some times that we are only regretting it now

#9    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

View Postkannin, on 23 July 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

i agree, so many beautiful structures and artifacts destroyed for a what was back then a "bully" religeon, its sad that alot of these wonderful things have been destroyed for similar purposes, makes me sick some times that we are only regretting it now

Imagine were the world would be if science had a straight line of development and not the insane suppressive time of the dark ages restricting it, and if places like The Library of Alexandria would have been intact with all the knowledge from every corner of the world collected?

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#10    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostEllJay, on 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Imagine were the world would be if science had a straight line of development and not the insane suppressive time of the dark ages restricting it, and if places like The Library of Alexandria would have been intact with all the knowledge from every corner of the world collected?
oh i agree, i would pay any price just to be able to see what was in the library, imagine like you said the knowledge, the treasure, if only we could atleast locate were it was! we might still be able to find a little bit of what was destroyed even that would be an amazing find

Also tagged with ancient lost found history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users