Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

107 Tarantuals imported into NZ to Breed

MichaelW

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10814824

A crate of tarantulas arrived in New Zealand this morning to start a countrywide breeding programme.

The shipment of 107 spiders from Wales will allow experts at seven zoos to breed self-sustaining populations.

They arrived in Auckland at 5.45am and were inspected by biosecurity officials from the Ministry of Primary Industries before being sent on to Wellington.

Simon Eyre, Wellington Zoo's collections development manager, says the tarantulas are harmless.

"It's not going to be anything like 'tarantulas on a plane'. The venom is much the same as a bee sting."

Mr Eyre said the spiders were sourced from Wales because of a reputable dealer there who could meet strict Ministry of Primary Industries requirements.

Tarantulas could grow to the size of a dinner plate, Mr Eyre said, but would never survive outside captivity because New Zealand was too cold.

"We keep them in glass tanks here."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffey

• MichaelW

• Timothy

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

I don't see the point in doing this?

Does the zoo need them this much?

I don't mind zoo's having rescued animals if there is no other choice and I don't mind them breeding endangered species. But why breed so many animals jsut to carry living in captivity. I don't get it.

Edited by Coffey

Why?

I don't see the point in doing this?

Does the zoo need them this much?

I don't mind zoo's having rescued animals if there is no other choice and I don't mind them breeding endangered species. But why breed so many animals jsut to carry living in captivity. I don't get it.

Oh, it was actually the spiders who wanted to go on a Lord of the Rings tour around New Zealand and then were happy to stay in the zoos because the enclosures were favourable to their current living arrangements.