Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DARPA Building Robots With ‘Real’ Brains

seeder

The futures looking bright then...

"The next frontier for the robotics industry is to build machines that think like humans. Scientists have pursued that elusive goal for decades, and they believe they are now just inches away from the finish line".

A Pentagon-funded team of researchers has constructed a tiny machine that would allow robots to act independently. Unlike traditional artificial intelligence systems that rely on conventional computer programming, this one “looks and ‘thinks’ like a human brain,” said James K. Gimzewski, professor of chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Gimsewski is a member of the team that has been working under sponsorship of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on a program called “physical intelligence.” This technology could be the secret to making robots that are truly autonomous, Gimzewski said during a conference call hosted by Technolink, a Los Angeles-based industry group.

This project does not use standard robot hardware with integrated circuitry, he said. The device that his team constructed is capable, without being programmed like a traditional robot, of performing actions similar to humans, Gimzewski said.

AND...

What sets this new device apart from any others is that it has nano-scale interconnected wires that perform billions of connections like a human brain, and is capable of remembering information, Gimzewski said. Each connection is a synthetic synapse. A synapse is what allows a neuron to pass an electric or chemical signal to another cell. Because its structure is so complex, most artificial intelligence projects so far have been unable to replicate it.

A “physical intelligence” device would not require a human controller the way a robot does, said Gimzewski. The applications of this technology for the military would be far reaching, he said. An aircraft, for example, would be able to learn and explore the terrain and work its way through the environment without human intervention, he said. These machines would be able to process information in ways that would be unimaginable with current computers.

http://www.nationald...st.aspx?ID=1101

Edited by seeder

So wrong.

Their robots already creep me out.

• Like 2

So wrong.

Their robots already creep me out.

Tell me about it! Imagine when these things are refined, quietened down, , have brains...and are ARMED! The Beginning of Skynet?

• Like 2

Tell me about it! Imagine when these things are refined, quietened down, , have brains...and are ARMED! The Beginning of Skynet?

[media=]

[/media]

Exactly yeah.

That dog one is one of the worst. Gives me a right shiver. lol

• Like 2

I just found new vid, now they have put an extra arm on it, where the head should be...so it acts like an arm sort of, and first trick it does? Throws cinder blocks about!!

[media=]

[/media]

Imagine being dug in troops on the enemy side of the future, and hundreds of the things, or things similar...are coming for you! sheesh!!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I pray they think like humans and that only. If they can comprehend decisions of their own we may be in trouble future wise. No man has ever been contained as slave forever and hasn't rebelled for a justified freedom. Who says a machine with a mind of its own wouldn't do the same?

"For the wages of sin is death..."

• Like 2

As long as they(DARPA) don't change their name to Cyberdyne.

• Like 2

Do we really want a robot to react entirely as an equivalent "living entity?" That would imply the fundamental behavior of self preservation with all of its ramifications. Self preservation is based upon fear and pain. Fear translates into the basic fight or flight response which has implications of both "preserving" the individual as well as at the greater social level of protecting the "family" for the sake of perpetuating the "species." I would hope that the engrams to assure that the family/species does indeed completely embrace the human.

• Like 1

Terminator 2, Robo cop??? one day robot will take over the world and all its arsenal, internet...

It could possibly take over the world yeah, but heh, like I'll be around to see that, robots really creep me out so i go no for robots in any way

I guess we need to call out Will Smith to deal with these "I Robots".

• Like 1

3q0yld.jpg
  • Like 2

be careful guys don't create artificial intelligence it could backfire on you guys and on humanity as a whole too.having creating self aware and artificial intelligence is scary people.this sounds like the terminator movie in the making but real life that is scary.

• Like 1

be careful guys don't create artificial intelligence it could backfire on you guys and on humanity as a whole too.having creating self aware and artificial intelligence is scary people.this sounds like the terminator movie in the making but real life that is scary.

well until they develop nuclear batteries or similar, that can give an unlimited long term power supply, the simple solution in the meantime is just to turn them off! So far all the robots created are limited by power.. even the best in the world, ASIMO, cant function more than than a few hours before needing a recharge, and BIG DOG in the vid is just the same, The Terminator had a nuclear battery, even tho its pure fiction of course. So until such a power source is created, all the best robots in the world will either need a wired power supply - which will limit its distance from the base, or on board batteries, which will only have charge for so long.

So worry more when they come up with an 'endless' or very long range battery. There's a lot of power consumption in such robots

Edited by seeder

well until they develop nuclear batteries or similar, that can give an unlimited long term power supply, the simple solution in the meantime is just to turn them off! So far all the robots created are limited by power.. even the best in the world, ASIMO, cant function more than than a few hours before needing a recharge, and BIG DOG in the vid is just the same, The Terminator had a nuclear battery, even tho its pure fiction of course. So until such a power source is created, all the best robots in the world will either need a wired power supply - which will limit its distance from the base, or on board batteries, which will only have charge for so long.

So worry more when they come up with an 'endless' or very long range battery. There's a lot of power consumption in such robots

Not a big deal when they are intelligent enough to take one or two scientist as hostage to feed them daily or even steal the charger.

Dangerously, if they have no remorse and no fear, threaten them is useless. They dont need a gun you know. With a bare hand they could pierce your heart or twist your neck in a flash

Not a big deal when they are intelligent enough to take one or two scientist as hostage to feed them daily or even steal the charger.

Dangerously, if they have no remorse and no fear, threaten them is useless. They dont need a gun you know. With a bare hand they could pierce your heart or twist your neck in a flash

I think your imagination might be running away with you, from the news article:

"It is not clear, however, that the Pentagon is ready to adopt this technology for weapon systems. The Obama administration’s use of drones in “targeted killings” of terrorist suspects has provoked a backlash and prompted the Pentagon to issue new rules for the use of robotic weapons. “Autonomous and semi-autonomous weapon systems shall be designed to allow commanders and operators to exercise appropriate levels of human judgment over the use of force,” said a Nov. 2012 Defense Department policy statement. Autonomous weapons, the document said, must “complete engagements in a timeframe consistent with commander and operator intentions and, if unable to do so, [must] terminate engagements or seek additional human operator input before continuing the engagement.”

Believe me, no AI robot will ever be let loose without some form of control parameters. And besides, killers usually have terrible childhoods and various psychological issues.... which no robot can ever have..

Edited by seeder

Great, we dont have to think for ourselves soon when robots do that for us. It was a pain in the butt anyhow, I'm sure a lot of people are glad inside because of this even if they might say "oh no I'm an individual and think for myself". Well soon you dont have to assure anyone.

That is going great specialy when you know how humans in our modern world are incapable to think for themselves...

• Like 3

not a good idea i am glad they don't have the technology for that yet.

"It is not clear, however, that the Pentagon is ready to adopt this technology for weapon systems. The Obama administration’s use of drones in “targeted killings” of terrorist suspects has provoked a backlash and prompted the Pentagon to issue new rules for the use of robotic weapons. “Autonomous and semi-autonomous weapon systems shall be designed to allow commanders and operators to exercise appropriate levels of human judgment over the use of force,” said a Nov. 2012 Defense Department policy statement. Autonomous weapons, the document said, must “complete engagements in a timeframe consistent with commander and operator intentions and, if unable to do so, [must] terminate engagements or seek additional human operator input before continuing the engagement.”

Believe me, no AI robot will ever be let loose without some form of control parameters. And besides, killers usually have terrible childhoods and various psychological issues.... which no robot can ever have..

And which paranoid scientist who had a bad childhood will build a robot to his own specification, ie:- add a few micro-chips to kill all females with green eyes,because he didn't get on with his green eyed ex-girlfriend.
  • Like 1

You underestimate intelligence, don't you? When the brain reach a certain intelligence, it will starts questioning orders, have free will and decide the decision on it's own. In human term, it's called betrayal. AI is nothing more than a piece of program injected into a metal. In my philosophy, anything developed and created by human is flawed from the beginning; it takes time to fix and improved. The question is, by the time we detect our mistake, will it be not too late? And as the robot is improved, so does its intelligence, what can you do to control them? They will learn to "pretend" to follow order, but their thought don't.

Moreover, just because it has a brain, doesn't mean it has a heart. It's what make it dangerous, comparable to a wild animal.

Intelligence can be a bliss or a weapon, depends on the point of view.

Another problem is the one behind, controlling this machine. Who's to say that he's an angel, a Buddha with pure heart? :)

Edited by FlyingAngel
  • Like 1

I say give it control of nukes and see what happens! Aint that a good idea?

• Like 1

Anyone ever see Dark Star, when the bomb wants to detonate and Pinback has to discuss Decartesian philosophy with it in order to get it to calm down?

• Like 1

Why would these robots want to rebel against mankind? They will be able to learn new information but they wouldn't have emotions or a conscience. They wouldn't care they are slaves.