Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My daughter: Psychic or Psychological Issues?

lisabee71

I have an eleven year old daughter, she is just about as 'normal' as she could be for her age. She loves cute animals, talking and hanging out with her friends, playing dolls and pop music, etc.

She is quite smart and makes all A's, is in gifted classes and very creative. She's sweet and caring.

She does tend to be a 'worry-wart' and seems to have quite a bit of anxiety when reports or tests are coming up.

She told me about two weeks ago that she has seen a strange girl four times. Two times she was anxious about things (school work) and the other times she was not.

She describes the girl as being "basically like an old black and white photo", pale skin, dark hair, white shapeless gown. She told me the first time she saw the girl was at school, my daughter was anxious about an upcoming test and saw the girl about 20 feet from her down the hallway. (I asked her to describe everything to me -without trying to influence- and this is my estimation) the girl was moving her mouth like she was talking but no sound was coming out. My daughter felt like everything else sort of muted around her. Her friend nudged her because they said she was not paying attention and seemed to be 'zoned out.' She looked back and the girl was gone.

The next time was also at school, she was playing at recess, no anxiety or stress at all, and she saw the girl standing about the same distance away. This was probably two days later, as far as she could recall. Just a quick glance then gone.

The other two times were at home. One day after the recess sighting, she was going to have her bath in the evening and got everything together for it. No worries... She called for me to come in there (about 10 minutes later) and I found her sobbing because she was scared. I asked her why and this is when she first revealed to me the other sightings and that she was showering and kept seeing the girl kind of pop in and out of sight all around her. It took me quite a while to calm her down and she doesn't want anyone to know about it, afraid they may think she's "crazy." (her words)

Then once in the kitchen the next day, she saw her right close to her and saw her mouth open and heard a quick 2 second screech.

I have thought a million things: Anxiety, overactive imagination, just trying to get attention, lying, psychological issues such as schizophrenia, psychic abilities...

I try to be open and honest and logical but believe there can be more to it... I just don't know. I advised her to decide NOT to see it anymore if it scares her so much. May sound stupid or weird, but I think some of you will understand. I tried to include all relevent information but welcome questions. She hasn't seen anything in a good while.

She is not allowed to watch any scary movies at her age, so I don't think this is a factor.

I am serious about needing honest opinions, but please keep your comments kind. Thank you!

No one here is qualified to answer psychological questions or dispense help related to matters of the mind.

If you have questions seek the aid of a licensed and qualified professional.

And also, good luck :)

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 6

Wow thats heavy Lisa. Just my 2 cents, you said its been awhile since she saw anything. Probably best to just leave it be. However make sure you express to her that its important she talk to you should it happen again. If it happens again you should take her to a doctor, and have her brain examined. Just to rule out a possible medical issue. If she gets a clean bill of health, well, just start there. No point in going further without first ruling some things out.

If she sees anything out of the ordinary again, you should take her to see a doctor ASAP. It may sound harsh, but is the best you can do for her. Just assure her that she won't be labelled as "crazy". Try to make her feel normal and safe. The possibility of being mentally ill is scary enough for an adult, but for a child it's overwhelming. She needs all your love and support. I wish you both good luck. and I hope she never sees that "ghost girl" again.

Could be an over active imagination or she could really be seeing this entity. I would just be very open and honest with her-you just don't know. Try and assure her that this lady can't harm her and don't be fearful. Eleven year olds have enough crap to worry and be anxious over, she doesn't need additional stress. Pray with her, asking to remove the 'vision'.

Thank you all so much!

Well, I don't feel that it is her - active imagination nor as much as being

psychological...And not psychic. Sometimes people will just see a ghost .yes it happens.

I see them. they could be just standing there. They could also look as if their

trying to talk to me , course can't hear them, I'm not psychic. If The girl comes around

again Tell your daughter to (in her mind) To go away , I cannot hear you . they

go away.....

Hope this helps

Edited by mskate

Since you daughter first saw this apparition of this young girl at school, check the school`s history of any tragic event that may have happen there. Although as one I don `n think there are ghosts because I never seen one:) but I do think people can tap into events and people instill in time like watching a recorded movie.

• Like 1

I advised her to decide NOT to see it anymore if it scares her so much. May sound stupid or weird, but I think some of you will understand. I tried to include all relevent information but welcome questions. She hasn't seen anything in a good while.

She is not allowed to watch any scary movies at her age, so I don't think this is a factor.

I am serious about needing honest opinions, but please keep your comments kind. Thank you!

What makes you think it's under her control? All that will go on from now is that she is picking up that her "being crazy" is distressing you so much that you ordered her "not to see this anymore". Which is absurd because it isn't under her control. So she'll hide the fact that these things are still happening *checks watch*...and...in about two or three years you will notice that she starts to withdraw from you and becomes distant. By then, she may see other apparitions and not "upset you" about the truth of that either.

My recommendation is for you to take her at her word and accept that your daughter may have a gift to see the dead. If that's the case, you're going about it the wrong way. Don't even breathe the word "crazy" around her ever again. And if you want to mend your relationship with her (even if you think you haven't damaged it..she may subconsciously see it differently...a new rift she can't approach mom about), I suggest researching people who have abilities and then tell her how to cope with it. If you can't manage that, find a medium who can help her cope. Right now she's sensing your rejection of it as "something is wrong with me". That will only increase her fear and, ironically, actually wind up making her mentally ill in the end.

As for you, don't wig out about it unless you hear her talking about wanting to hurt herself or others or some other sign of rampant and increasing mental illness. If she has a gift, so what? Some people get kids good at music. Some get kids good at engineering. Others get kids good at woodworking or writing. You got a kid good at seeing the dead. A talent is just a talent. Learn to celebrate it and to guide your daughter how best to handle it. You can't order her to drop it though. Especially with mediumship. That never works.

Edited by SSilhouette

What makes you think it's under her control? All that will go on from now is that she is picking up that her "being crazy" is distressing you so much that you ordered her "not to see this anymore". Which is absurd because it isn't under her control. So she'll hide the fact that these things are still happening *checks watch*...and...in about two or three years you will notice that she starts to withdraw from you and becomes distant. By then, she may see other apparitions and not "upset you" about the truth of that either.

My recommendation is for you to take her at her word and accept that your daughter may have a gift to see the dead. If that's the case, you're going about it the wrong way. Don't even breathe the word "crazy" around her ever again. And if you want to mend your relationship with her (even if you think you haven't damaged it..she may subconsciously see it differently...a new rift she can't approach mom about), I suggest researching people who have abilities and then tell her how to cope with it. If you can't manage that, find a medium who can help her cope. Right now she's sensing your rejection of it as "something is wrong with me". That will only increase her fear and, ironically, actually wind up making her mentally ill in the end.

As for you, don't wig out about it unless you hear her talking about wanting to hurt herself or others or some other sign of rampant and increasing mental illness. If she has a gift, so what? Some people get kids good at music. Some get kids good at engineering. Others get kids good at woodworking or writing. You got a kid good at seeing the dead. A talent is just a talent. Learn to celebrate it and to guide your daughter how best to handle it. You can't order her to drop it though. Especially with mediumship. That never works.

Seriously? You recommend a supernatural solution instead of actual medicine when the wellbeing and happiness of an eleven years old child is at stake?

You have all the right in the world to believe whatever you want. But we are trying to give advice to the concerned mother of a little girl with hallucinations. I've had psychiatric problems since I was a child, and refusing to acknowledge them was one of my (and my parent's) biggest mistakes. If you are sick, you go to the doctor, not to scammers and snake oil sellers.

I don't know what exactly is that child experiencing, but if it continues, she should visit a medicine professional, not a ******* magician.

• Like 4

Seriously? You recommend a supernatural solution instead of actual medicine when the wellbeing and happiness of an eleven years old child is at stake?

You have all the right in the world to believe whatever you want. But we are trying to give advice to the concerned mother of a little girl with hallucinations. I've had psychiatric problems since I was a child, and refusing to acknowledge them was one of my (and my parent's) biggest mistakes. If you are sick, you go to the doctor, not to scammers and snake oil sellers.

I don't know what exactly is that child experiencing, but if it continues, she should visit a medicine professional, not a ******* magician.

What good can come out of that?! Tell a medical doctor you're seeing dead people at 11. She'll be diagnosed as bipolar or schizophrenic or BOTH, then put on medication that she'll likely be dependent on for a lifetime. No, not a good answer!

Right, because bipolar and schizophrenic people that NEED medication don't exist. Unlike ghosts, right?

I am bipolar, among other things. And I need medication to live a normal life.

Now, that little girl may be perfectly healthy. And if she is, a good doctor could tell. It might be just a case of overactive imagination, or it may be due to anxiety, stress, insomnia or a lot of other factors. But she certainly needs to seek professional help if she is experiencing hallucinations.

Maybe the visions will stop, and she will live a perfectly happy and fulfilling life from now on. But if the problem persists you can't just ignore it and call it a gift. She can't be "good at seeing dead people", because when a person dies, it becomes a pile of dead meat. And that's all. The only thing that remains are the memories of those who loved him or her.

Stop playing with children's health.

• Like 3

I have an eleven year old daughter, she is just about as 'normal' as she could be for her age. She loves cute animals, talking and hanging out with her friends, playing dolls and pop music, etc.

She is quite smart and makes all A's, is in gifted classes and very creative. She's sweet and caring.

She does tend to be a 'worry-wart' and seems to have quite a bit of anxiety when reports or tests are coming up.

She told me about two weeks ago that she has seen a strange girl four times. Two times she was anxious about things (school work) and the other times she was not.

She describes the girl as being "basically like an old black and white photo", pale skin, dark hair, white shapeless gown. She told me the first time she saw the girl was at school, my daughter was anxious about an upcoming test and saw the girl about 20 feet from her down the hallway. (I asked her to describe everything to me -without trying to influence- and this is my estimation) the girl was moving her mouth like she was talking but no sound was coming out. My daughter felt like everything else sort of muted around her. Her friend nudged her because they said she was not paying attention and seemed to be 'zoned out.' She looked back and the girl was gone.

The next time was also at school, she was playing at recess, no anxiety or stress at all, and she saw the girl standing about the same distance away. This was probably two days later, as far as she could recall. Just a quick glance then gone.

The other two times were at home. One day after the recess sighting, she was going to have her bath in the evening and got everything together for it. No worries... She called for me to come in there (about 10 minutes later) and I found her sobbing because she was scared. I asked her why and this is when she first revealed to me the other sightings and that she was showering and kept seeing the girl kind of pop in and out of sight all around her. It took me quite a while to calm her down and she doesn't want anyone to know about it, afraid they may think she's "crazy." (her words)

Then once in the kitchen the next day, she saw her right close to her and saw her mouth open and heard a quick 2 second screech.

I have thought a million things: Anxiety, overactive imagination, just trying to get attention, lying, psychological issues such as schizophrenia, psychic abilities...

I try to be open and honest and logical but believe there can be more to it... I just don't know. I advised her to decide NOT to see it anymore if it scares her so much. May sound stupid or weird, but I think some of you will understand. I tried to include all relevent information but welcome questions. She hasn't seen anything in a good while.

Get her off the i - phone.

Right, because bipolar and schizophrenic people that NEED medication don't exist. Unlike ghosts, right?

I am bipolar, among other things. And I need medication to live a normal life.

Now, that little girl may be perfectly healthy. And if she is, a good doctor could tell. It might be just a case of overactive imagination, or it may be due to anxiety, stress, insomnia or a lot of other factors. But she certainly needs to seek professional help if she is experiencing hallucinations.

Maybe the visions will stop, and she will live a perfectly happy and fulfilling life from now on. But if the problem persists you can't just ignore it and call it a gift. She can't be "good at seeing dead people", because when a person dies, it becomes a pile of dead meat. And that's all. The only thing that remains are the memories of those who loved him or her.

Stop playing with children's health.

That is your opinion: death. Some of us differ in opinion and do believe and do see spirits. The problem in our society is that western medicine likes to fit people in their tiny box of knowledge. If they don't fit and see the world differently, they shove pills down their throats. Seeing spirits is only a problem because society says so. We are taught from a very young age to fear things like this, so if it does happen, we panic. Parents panic.

She described the girl as being "basically like an old black and white photo, of which would suggest to me she was seeing this recording instill in time, long passed.

Edited by docyabut2

This is something you might want to approach Dead Files about.. The show with Amy the psychic and Steve the ex Detective. Yet..before you do anything ..first get her to a neurologist to do a CT scan.. In case there are any issues..

That is your opinion: death. Some of us differ in opinion and do believe and do see spirits. The problem in our society is that western medicine likes to fit people in their tiny box of knowledge. If they don't fit and see the world differently, they shove pills down their throats. Seeing spirits is only a problem because society says so. We are taught from a very young age to fear things like this, so if it does happen, we panic. Parents panic.

You are right, is my opinion. We both have the right to believe whatever we want. I already said what I thought was necessary, so I'm not going to argue anymore. I hope that little girl finds peace and lives a happy and fulfilling life from now on.

I'm sorry if I've been too aggressive expressing my point of view, but when the mental health of a child is involved, I can't look the other way.

lisabee71, I wish you and your kid the best future possible. Whatever decision you make about your daughter's visions, I hope you show her that she can trust you, you love her, and you will help her make everything ok.

Good luck.

If you read my post carefully, you will note that I said if the child is showing other signs of dementia, take action. But seeing the same apparition (not random ones or random voices) over and over is suggestive of a haunting, or a purposeful contact. In either event, ordering the child to not have the experience anymore as a convenience to the parent's distress is not going to solve anything. It will make it much worse. The child will withdraw her experiences to placate the parent and her problem will go underground. And as a child nears adolescence, that will only result in more trouble for her. We all can agree that what the net result for the child should be LESS trouble, not more trouble..

And if it happens to be a talent to see the dead that her child has, then the child has a talent. People shouldn't fear talent. If the child visits a doctor prematurely, the doctor may diagnose her wrongly. How often do you hear of people complaining of apparitions or voices and then having the mainstream medical community immediately brand them as psychotic and put them on (often dangerous) psychiatric drugs. Watching the warnings on all those TV commercials about side effects of these drugs often being "suicidal feelings"...we actually agree Galego, the best thing for the child is to really discover what's going on before a radical diagnosis is given...

You say "doctor first!" and I say "medium first!" How about both?...like getting a second opinion..

Edited by SSilhouette

If you read my post carefully, you will note that I said if the child is showing other signs of dementia, take action. But seeing the same apparition (not random ones or random voices) over and over is suggestive of a haunting, or a purposeful contact. In either event, ordering the child to not have the experience anymore as a convenience to the parent's distress is not going to solve anything. It will make it much worse. The child will withdraw her experiences to placate the parent and her problem will go underground. And as a child nears adolescence, that will only result in more trouble for her. We all can agree that what the net result for the child should be LESS trouble, not more trouble..

And if it happens to be a talent to see the dead that her child has, then the child has a talent. People shouldn't fear talent. If the child visits a doctor prematurely, the doctor may diagnose her wrongly. How often do you hear of people complaining of apparitions or voices and then having the mainstream medical community immediately brand them as psychotic and put them on (often dangerous) psychiatric drugs. Watching the warnings on all those TV commercials about side effects of these drugs often being "suicidal feelings"...we actually agree Galego, the best thing for the child is to really discover what's going on before a radical diagnosis is given...

You say "doctor first!" and I say "medium first!" How about both?...like getting a second opinion..

this child didn't hear any voices only seeing the apparition`s moving mouth speaking, of which still suggests to me she was seeing a recording of some kind.

Edited by docyabut2

I have thought a million things: Anxiety, overactive imagination.

I'm going to wager a guess and say it's just a manifestation of her anxieties. Something self induced. I'd suggest that if it persist see a doctor. I'd also find a safe way to de-stress her. So she can let go of some anxiety. If you are pushing her to make excellent grades, ease off some. If not find out what might be causing her stress.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/signs/hallucinations

Please do not fill her head with thoughts that she's some how a special little psychic flower. 99.5% of the time psychic are not real.

• Like 3

Unless she starts seeing an hearing other things I wouldn't worry

So, I'm going to keep my opinion for now and just say this... Your daughter is stable and normal in every other way, well adjusted, etc...

Now, assuming that is 100% true. YOU know her, have known her her whole life. Is she crazy? You already know the answer to this. If there are other signs or a recent trauma or something you havnt mentioned, then sure there could be a psych issue. BUT if you know she isn't- SHE ISN'T!

You know your child. If you believe she is stable and not having psych issues, you don't have to believe in ghosts or understand fully what is happening- you just have to believe in her.

By the way rather the cause is psychological, neurological, or paranormal, she can not CHOOSE to not see what she is seeing-aside from closing her eyes. She may, however, take that instruction to mean that you are so uncomfortable with whatever is happening, that she shouldn't continue to tell you about it...

The Human Brain is very susceptible to both audio, and visual hallucinations. It's just a Log Jam of neurochemical functions with many possible triggers.

Think of it as a dream intruding the awake state. Our minds are very creative, but far from perfect.

• Like 2

We agree on some things, yes. Basically, that the girl needs help. But I'm sorry, I still don't believe ghosts, mediums or psychic powers exist. So, if we continue with this discussion, we'll enter in a debate between faith and skepticism, and that's not the point. We wrote here to give advice and support to lisabee71 and her child. We already did that. I'm not interested in arguing with you, Ssilhouette. You have the right to believe in such things, and you gave your advice with the best intention. I respect that, even if I think it's wrong.

We'll see each other around the forums, and maybe sometime we'll get into a healthy discussion between supernatural beliefs and skepticism :tu:

I wish you well, Ssilhouette.

EDIT: I didn't know that in the US they advertised psychiatric drugs on TV.

Edited by Galego