Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?


  • Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#106    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,674 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostRender, on 08 May 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

And? It doesn't disable XP.
Second, they're cutting support NEXT year and win8 is already out. So it will take a loooooooooong time before they cut support of Win7.

I think Windows 8 will probably take over Windows 7 once the update rolls out easily and may find Windows 7 phased out a lot sooner.


#107    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,171 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 09 May 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

I think Windows 8 will probably take over Windows 7 once the update rolls out easily and may find Windows 7 phased out a lot sooner.

I don't know man, Windows 7 is just now the mainstream, worldwide baseline system and I can't see the IT guys getting all enthused about swapping everyone out again so soon.  It sure seems like MS is on a beta release program, just to test the wind,  before releasing the real OS.  I am very happy with 8, especially at $39.99. :tu: but there is definitely room for improvement and they better not screw up Blue.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#108    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,674 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostMerc14, on 09 May 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:



I don't know man, Windows 7 is just now the mainstream, worldwide baseline system and I can't see the IT guys getting all enthused about swapping everyone out again so soon.  It sure seems like MS is on a beta release program, just to test the wind,  before releasing the real OS.  I am very happy with 8, especially at $39.99. :tu: but there is definitely room for improvement and they better not screw up Blue.

That's true. However if the management want a faster and more secure system and hear of the new Windows 8 version. The IT guys are just going to do what they've been told.

Yeh definitely. I'd say within the next 6 months we will see the OS polished for touch and mouse and keyboard systems and a generally satisfied customer base.


#109    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,171 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

It's official, Windows 8.1 (Blue) will be free to Windows 8 users.  The official preview will ship June 26th so we'll know then what to expect going forward.  I hope they listen and fix the problems that are holding this OS back.

http://www.pcworld.c...ll-be-free.html

Edited by Merc14, 14 May 2013 - 07:14 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#110    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Got Windows 8 on a work laptop. Updated it this morning from an automatic update. Keyboard and mouse no longer work. Ah, Windows, why fix something that's broken when you can just start fresh with ****.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#111    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,171 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 May 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Got Windows 8 on a work laptop. Updated it this morning from an automatic update. Keyboard and mouse no longer work. Ah, Windows, why fix something that's broken when you can just start fresh with ****.

LOL.  Not your problem but your "why fix something when you can just ....."  Can you plug a keyboard and mouse in and then restore to an earlier point in system restore?

Edited by Merc14, 14 May 2013 - 07:26 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#112    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostMerc14, on 14 May 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:



LOL.  Not your problem but your "why fix something when you can just ....."  Can you plug a keyboard and mouse in and then restore to an earlier point in system restore?
Tried that, didn't work. The IT guy thought maybe the update had shut off the USB ports. I got it working finally hitting the 'Assist' button (it's a Vaio) and it's busy doing a system restore. Once it does that, I think I'll use it as a door stop.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#113    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,674 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostHasina, on 14 May 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:


Tried that, didn't work. The IT guy thought maybe the update had shut off the USB ports. I got it working finally hitting the 'Assist' button (it's a Vaio) and it's busy doing a system restore. Once it does that, I think I'll use it as a door stop.

Have you checked Device Manager? If you able are to at least... Hmm the Sony Vaio my dad has got may as well be a door stop already. The preinstalled bunch of bloatware like the Vaio sidebar slows things down a lot, the 1GB RAM is stressed enough.


#114    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 220 posts
  • Joined:07 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

The PC is not going anywhere believe me and your an idiot if you think so.


#115    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 6,874 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostSilver Surfer, on 15 May 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

The PC is not going anywhere believe me and your an idiot if you think so.

You are right .. 'The PC is not going anywhere' and that is the problem .... both to and from

Quote

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer


#116    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,171 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostSilver Surfer, on 15 May 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

The PC is not going anywhere believe me and your an idiot if you think so.

Did you read the article in the OP idiot?  I suggest you get some context before you start labeling other people Idiots when the only idiot on this thread is you.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#117    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 15 May 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Have you checked Device Manager? If you able are to at least... Hmm the Sony Vaio my dad has got may as well be a door stop already. The preinstalled bunch of bloatware like the Vaio sidebar slows things down a lot, the 1GB RAM is stressed enough.

I would've if I could've. I couldn't get past that garish date and time screen. No lie there. I was looking for a way to get rid of that Vaio bar as well. Looks like my IT guy is going to scrub a slightly older laptop and just put Windows 7 on it. Anyway, I would probably have to go back to Windows 7 anyway, the basic program for Crystal Reports that I have is only compatible with 7.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#118    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,674 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostHasina, on 15 May 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:



I would've if I could've. I couldn't get past that garish date and time screen. No lie there. I was looking for a way to get rid of that Vaio bar as well. Looks like my IT guy is going to scrub a slightly older laptop and just put Windows 7 on it. Anyway, I would probably have to go back to Windows 7 anyway, the basic program for Crystal Reports that I have is only compatible with 7.

Hmmm that's seriously unfortunate. I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a PS/2 connector either.

I haven't tried removing it yet but the VAIO preinstalled run-on-startup applications waste quite a lot of system resources.

Yeh that sounds like the best solution. I thought VAIO laptops came with a lengthy warranty. Not sure if this would be covered but if it's still valid there's no harm in trying.


#119    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,311 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

I dont like the idea of putting fingerprints all over the screen on touch screens.especially if you've been eating greasy chips.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#120    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have an Android based computer that I use for reading books in bed.  I find I hate having to "swipe" it to do things -- it only responds occasionally and then sometimes in unexpected ways, and is a damn sight more bother than turning a page.  I like a "next page" button.  The thing reminds me of the old mouse gestures that some people thought would eliminate keyboards.  I hated them too.

Just venting.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users