Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SKY WHALE

jesspy

The controversial Skywhale hot air balloon has taken to the skies above Canberra in a maiden flight to celebrate the city's centenary.

It took 16 people seven months to make the hot-air balloon, which can carry a pilot plus two passengers to an altitude of 3,000 feet.

Hanging from its giant whale-like body are ten huge pendulous breasts.

Ms Piccinini says they reflect how whales are mammals and breast-feed their young.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-11/skywhale-makes-maiden-flight-over-canberra/4683382

The Skywhale is nearly 23 metres high and took 1880 hours of work to make, used more than 3500 metres of fabric and weighs 500 kilograms with fuel, a pilot and two passengers on board.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-centenary/skywhale-tale-grows-by-at-least-100000-20130510-2jc68.html#ixzz2Sz70S8Zq

More pictures are on the linked websites.

skywhale130510_630.jpg

I saw it this morning I was freaked out. Nobody around here likes it. Its weird.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind it ... looks kinda strangely cool and 'awesome'

:tu:

I don't mind the whale part but all the breasts are a bit much.

• Like 1

it doesn't really look 'breasts' to me at all unless someone pointed it out ... maybe 'breasts' means and looks different to me :blush:

Is the point to being awareness about whale conservation or something? Then it should actually look like a whale.

Looks to me like these guys just wanted publicity so they made a whole buncha freaky whale teats waving about.

I didn`t know whales have udders?

I didn`t know whales have udders?

not udders :

How Do Whales Nurse? Let’s Find Out!

Typically what happens is the baby starts to nudge the mama around the belly. That lets the mother know that the baby is ready to feed. To be more hydrodynamic, the mother’s nipples are inverted at the mammary gland until the baby starts to nudge where they then start to point out. The mom then starts to shoot out milk. Whales don’t have lips, so they can’t really suckle the milk. Instead it’s almost injected into the baby’s mouth. This will go on until the baby is weaned from nursing.

link

• Like 1

not udders :

How Do Whales Nurse? Let’s Find Out!

link

tumblr_m57ojsR1rO1rvfy6do1_500.gif

• Like 1

Well it's rather ugly in my opinon. Sorry.