Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

Beckys_Mom

Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

Health officials investigate after the woman's husband says doctors told his wife: "This is a Catholic Country."

Investigations have been launched after a pregnant woman died in hospital in Ireland after allegedly being refused an abortion.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, suffered a miscarriage and septicaemia. Her husband Praveen claims doctors refused to carry out a termination for religious reasons.

Mrs Halappanavar, who was from India, was 17 weeks pregnant when admitted to Galway University Hospital.

She was suffering from agonising pain and, according to her husband, made several requests for an abortion.

Mr Halappanavar, 34, said doctors had refused to terminate the pregnancy because there was a foetal heartbeat and told his wife: "This is a Catholic country."

Read more from Sky News - > http://news.sky.com/...in-ireland-dies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the shops this morning after dropping my kid off to school, I saw this splashed all over the news papers, including the Irish papers.. Many of the Irish headlines show their disgust in this and are demanding a change in the law..A lot of the Irish are outraged............I heard some Irish Catholics express their outrage on one of the RTE networks..

I found this...

Thousands rally in Ireland after woman denied abortion dies

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Thousands of people rallied outside Ireland's parliament on Wednesday to demand strict abortion rules be eased after a pregnant Indian woman repeatedly denied a termination died in an Irish hospital.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, admitted to University Hospital Galway in the west of Ireland last month, died of septicaemia a week after miscarrying 17 weeks into her pregnancy.

Her repeated requests for termination were rejected because of the presence of a fetal heartbeat, her husband told state broadcaster RTE.

Abortion remains an extremely divisive issue in Ireland, an overwhelmingly Roman Catholic country which has some of the world's most restrictive laws on medical terminations.

Read more - http://news.yahoo.co...-211707851.html

I personally lean towards pro-life.. BUT I always noted that in life threatening situation, abortions should go ahead.. If a woman is in a serious life threatening state, she should have the legal right to have the abortion.. What happened to this woman was appalling Law or now law, it is still appalling

I live in N.Ireland..and I thought - If she had of been flown by hospital helicopter from Craigavion hospital that is 2 mins from my home. ( which would take 25 mins by helicopter ) .. The doctors at my local hospital would have whipped that foetus out in no time, and done all to save the woman.. The foetus was going to die anyway..I still cannot get over what the doctor done and why the south has such a law ?.... I never knew that in the south of Ireland they made abortions illegal

My overall opinion to this is - Religion has no place in medical science, and should not interfere with the laws.. I hope the southern Irish get their voice heard and something seriously done about this..

​EDIT - If this is in the wrong section of the forum...I apologise.. I couldn't make up my mind where to post it...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

I don't know what to say, my personal opinion everybody should have the right to choose what they wanna do with there self, except if its a hazard to other people.

Tattoos are forbidden in Christianity but i don't see a law in Ireland forbidding tattoos.

• Like 3

That is horrifying, what makes it worse is there is no repairing the damage when the person begging to have their life saved dies - she must have been in complete terror knowing something was seriously wrong if she was repeatedly asking for an abortion.

• Like 4

That is horrifying, what makes it worse is there is no repairing the damage when the person begging to have their life saved dies - she must have been in complete terror knowing something was seriously wrong if she was repeatedly asking for an abortion.

It is truly a sad case... I never knew that the south of Ireland had that law..it is so backward and wrong... I fully support the Irish catholics that are displaying their outrage.. Way they see it is - Yea we are Catholics but COME ON ..!!! I hope their voice is heard..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 4

It is truly a sad case... I never knew that the south of Ireland had that law..it is so backward and wrong... I fully support the Irish catholics that are displaying their outrage.. Way they see it is - Yea we are Catholics but COMER ON ..!!! I hope their voice is heard..

Even if abortion is illegal - termination of a pregnancy where there is immediate threat to the life of the mother should be a no brainer. Doctors are medical scientists are they not? Surely this issue has been debated in medical circles ad nauseum - I cannot imagine it as accepted medical practice ANYWHERE in the western world to allow a mother to remain in danger of her life to save an unborn foetus. The only proviso preventing the termination should be direct objection by the mother as it is ultimately her choice (or anyone's with a medical condition) whether to accept/sign off on the surgery.

• Like 2

Even if abortion is illegal - termination of a pregnancy where there is immediate threat to the life of the mother should be a no brainer. Doctors are medical scientists are they not? Surely this issue has been debated in medical circles ad nauseum - I cannot imagine it as accepted medical practice ANYWHERE in the western world to allow a mother to remain in danger of her life to save an unborn foetus. The only proviso preventing the termination should be direct objection by the mother as it is ultimately her choice (or anyone's with a medical condition) whether to accept/sign off on the surgery.

I agree with you.. Now people should understand and see that religious belief's should not interfere with medical science and the law...

• Like 3

This is why laws based on religious law don't work. I hope this is a wake up call to the Irish people and she will not have died in vain. If this happened in the States there would be a big lawsuit against the hospital and doctors. People say we are sue happy, but sometimes it makes institutions more careful.

• Like 5

i don't get it .. what is wrong with abortion ? and why it's viewed as " taboo " ?

Well, she was a dentist, so she had a better than average understanding of anatomy and infections.

• Like 1

i don't get it .. what is wrong with abortion ? and why it's viewed as " taboo " ?

Many people see it (like myself) as the termination of human life, no matter at what time the abortiom is carried out. It could be just weeks into the pregnancy, or near the end. But many people are against it because their religion says it's murder as well.

There seems some gray area for many in abortion (I also feel these are good exceptions to the rule of 'no abortions'); if the mother's life is at stake, cases of incest or rape, or genetic deformities. In this case, the mother's life was at risk, an abortion of her child probably would have saved her life.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

The baby died to right? It almost seems evil.

Somone so righteous to say I will let you and your baby die because I am right and moral.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

I personally lean towards pro-life.. BUT I always noted that in life threatening situation, abortions should go ahead.. If a woman is in a serious life threatening state, she should have the legal right to have the abortion.. What happened to this woman was appalling Law or now law, it is still appalling

I live in N.Ireland..and I thought - If she had of been flown by hospital helicopter from Craigavion hospital that is 2 mins from my home. ( which would take 25 mins by helicopter ) .. The doctors at my local hospital would have whipped that foetus out in no time, and done all to save the woman.. The foetus was going to die anyway..I still cannot get over what the doctor done and why the south has such a law ?.... I never knew that in the south of Ireland they made abortions illegal

My overall opinion to this is - Religion has no place in medical science, and should not interfere with the laws.. I hope the southern Irish get their voice heard and something seriously done about this..

​EDIT - If this is in the wrong section of the forum...I apologise.. I couldn't make up my mind where to post it...

I think that you should give the Doctor a shot and not abort the arrow. The arrow has the right to be lodged.---------R---------->

• Like 1

The baby died to right? It almost seems evil.

Somone so righteous to say I will let you and your baby die because I am right and moral.

The baby was going to die regardless

Yea sad isn't it ?

By killing the mother they also killed her child. One was never born and the other was alive and died due to a religious decision. Not much difference between stoning a rape victim for being raped. Both are religiously motivated.

• Like 2

There are some places that religion shouldn't have any part in. Medical science is one of them.

Edited by UFO_Monster

There are some places that religion shouldn't have any part in. Medical science is one of them.

Society is another.......at least in decision-making

Why do people have to act like they aren't paying attention, and respond to what they want to hear instead of what is actually being stated? The woman didn't die as a result of not getting an abortion. The woman was not pregnant when she died. She died of an infection. The infection doesn't care if you are pregnant or not when it strikes a victim. A local man died of septicemia after recieving abdominal injuries from a falling tree branch. Dying of septicemia is luck of the draw and not directly related to miscarriage, abortions or trees falling on you. People act so ignorant when they HEAR what they WANT to hear instead of what is being stated.

A better example of refusing an abortion which would lead to a womans death is like in the case of my mother. She collapsed on the floor in agony, was rushed to the hospital, and it was determined she was pregnant, but the fetus was implanted in her felopian tube instead of her uterus. In other words she was going to die unless the fetus, her felopian tube and her ovaries on one side were not immediatly removed. Of course they saved my mother's life! It was a heartbreaking tragedy that my sibling didn't get to live. But at least we saved my mother.

But blaming septicemia on refusing to kill a child in the womb is stupid and unrelated. For all we know, the Indean woman might have induced a miscarraige and in the process put herself at risk of unsanitary conditions. Maybe not. But we don't know by the information presented. But she ceratinly didn't die of the pregnancy!

Another stupid factor in people is when they refuse to acknowledge the risk of abortions for women. Women DIE as a result of abortions, but that just gets whitewashed and swept under the rug. Women are maimed and disabled by abortions. And yes an abortion certainly puts one at more risk of infection, than pregnancy does. Even at more risk of septicemia. And let's don't even go into the associated risk of cancers or psychological disorders associated with abortions.

People who condone the infanticide of abortion are deficient in reasoned principles and are philosophical Lilliputians who unwittingly demonstrate their underdeveloped outlooks. The pro-life camp has won the debate for decades on every front. But like PT Barnum depended upon for his lively hood, there is a sucker born every minute. There are always new ignorant people willing to jump on the Abortion topic as advocates without realizing the depth of predation, the attrocity, the suffering, and the scope of the holocaust.

For instance, most people so anxious to promote abortion don't have the slightest clue to the History of abortion in America. It was promoted by Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood, for the express purpose of eugenics. Her aim was to eliminate the inferior gene pool of the poor, the mentally deficient and negros from society. Hilter became a big fan of Margaret Sanger and used the same thinking only to target Jews, Gypsies, and the handicapped. This should give any reasonable person some clue as to where the failing of equal protection under the laws of a society leads. it leads to pernicioucness and murder against the unfortunant class against whom such thinking is directed. Get a clue people and give up this vile nonsense sanctifying the murder of innocents. Just think ot the company you keep in being an advocate of such injustice and heartlessness. it is murdr on a scale that makes the holocaust small by comparison. Look at th history of the use of "sub-humanity" doctrines to overthrow the rights of the victims of such directed thoughts. Get a clue people and stop takling like you have no understanding.

• Like 1

Why do people have to act like they aren't paying attention, and respond to what they want to hear instead of what is actually being stated?

I'm wondering if you even looked at the article.
The woman didn't die as a result of not getting an abortion.
She got sick as a result.
A local man died of septicemia after recieving abdominal injuries from a falling tree branch. Dying of septicemia is luck of the draw and not directly related to miscarriage, abortions or trees falling on you. People act so ignorant when they HEAR what they WANT to hear instead of what is being stated.
Good job, you just contradicted yourself.

But then again coming from someone who fools around with homosexual atheists, I'm not surprised.

She got sick as a result.

Correct that is why she got sick... If she had been allowed to abort, her life may have been saved

If they had of done the right thing, and saved the mother, the child would have died anyway.. It was not expected to live

• Like 1

2 lives wasted when one could have been saved, its about time religeon caught up with modern times,as it stands its a disgrace.Come you guys Petition your Religeous Leader.

Sky News Update on this story...

Thousands of people have marched in the capital of Ireland to protest the death of an Indian woman who was allegedly refused an abortion.

Sky's Vicki Hawthorne, reporting from Dublin, said more than 10,000 people had gathered for a vigil and march over the death and the country's strict abortion laws.

The Indian government has also demanded a "transparent" probe into the death of Savita Halappanavar, after Irish doctors apparently rejected her requests for a termination even though she was miscarrying.

Deputy head of government Eamon Gilmore agreed to meet the Indian ambassador, Debashish Chakravarti, on Saturday.

Read more of this update on Sky News - http://news.sky.com/story/1012735/dublin-protest-over-indian-abortion-death