Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Cell phone in 1928?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

They existed. Google 1940's machine safety glasses or 1940's sunglasses side shields. Sunglasses were also all the rage in the '30's and '40's (when this was taken) because they were fresh and new. Just the type of thing a teen/young adult would wear out on the town.

This article, among many others, takes some wind out of the time traveler angle myth's sail a bit: http://forgetomori.c...n-museum-photo/

So add up what they say there, and add in that the jersey he was wearing has the logo of the Montreal Maroons sweater jersey (the picture also taken in Canada),

Posted Image

the hair being the same as other young adults in the period (see Eddie Haskell), the fitting time period college jacket, yadda yadda yadda. It makes for some fun to find all of his different fashion parts and be able to find fitting comparisons that reveal this photo as ordinary.

As I said in the other thread, Sally a few people over sure seems to find his fashion sense dreamy.

There are two problems I see with that.

1) The side-shield appears to be part of, and not separate from, the left bow. Which is not the case in 30's/40's style sun/safety glasses that I've seen.

2) Your Montreal Maroons logo doesn't work as the "M" on the guys shirt has no wings at the top outer corner.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#62    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,658 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 October 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

psst... post #48. Enjoy your 84 year old slice of pizza! *nom nom nom*
I needed a new axe-head!
Thanks Guy!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#63    _Only

_Only

• 6,778 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

There are two problems I see with that.

1) The side-shield appears to be part of, and not separate from, the left bow. Which is not the case in 30's/40's style sun/safety glasses that I've seen.

2) Your Montreal Maroons logo doesn't work as the "M" on the guys shirt has no wings at the top outer corner.

cormac

Well, if the glasses, rims, and side shields are all black, in a black and qwhite picture, how could they look as anything else than one piece?

And if you zoom in the page (CTRL+mouse wheel up), you can make it bigger to see that either

A. there are wings at the spot
B. a part of the jacket is covering the spot

It looks more like A to me, but even if it was B, they could still be there.

I don't know why I'm still defending the validity of this guy's outfit, lol.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#64    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,469 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Clearly not a mobile phone, they were bigger than that in 1928, imo.

#65    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

"We don't know what will happen/be available in the future" isn't a valid argument for what may have happened in the past. Unless your contention is along the lines of "she's talking to Lieutenant Uhura aboard the USS Enterprise". And no, I wouldn't believe that either.

I never said it was "impossible", but then again it's also "possible" (hypothetically speaking) that the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy is also the drain for a galactic toilet and we're just waiting for our turn to get flushed. It shows as much a lack of evidence as this time travel claim.

cormac

Your logic underwhelms me but your lack of imagination is indeed impressive

#66    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDr. D, on 09 October 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Your logic underwhelms me but your lack of imagination is indeed impressive

I'm not the one having a problem distinguishing reality from fantasy.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#67    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I'm not the one having a problem distinguishing reality from fantasy.

cormac

That's fine.  Just list all the things you choose not to believe and soon they will consume that final thing people cling to, hope.

#68    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Well, if the glasses, rims, and side shields are all black, in a black and qwhite picture, how could they look as anything else than one piece?

And if you zoom in the page (CTRL+mouse wheel up), you can make it bigger to see that either

A. there are wings at the spot
B. a part of the jacket is covering the spot

It looks more like A to me, but even if it was B, they could still be there.

I don't know why I'm still defending the validity of this guy's outfit, lol.

If one can't see the wings then it shouldn't be assumed that they're there. Also, the "M" is directly covered on top by a white or lighter border which is non-existant in the Montreal Maroons shirt.

cormac

#69    Grey Area

Grey Area

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I don't know, that thread made it here in a few threads of its own, too. In my opinion, he wasn't even out of fit for the time.

You decide (sunglasses and shirt/jacket/hairstyle has been shown in equivalent time period photos in other threads):

Posted Image

In my opinion this photo is a clear fake.

If you look at the way the light falls on everyone else without a hat, the whole side of their faces are out of shadow.  However on the guy in question their is a random shadow from his ear to the front of his face, which clearly indicates to me that this guy was taken from another photo and copied in digitally.  There does not appear to be any source for the shadow on his face, and if it was something off camera, given the distance involved it should realistically appear, at least partially on other faces also.

Further to this, (Operating on the assumption that the side panel of the sunglasses are reflective plastic, there should be a definate glare on them, which is not in the picture.

It is a well cropped fake, but the shadows give it away.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there
first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett.

#70    _Only

_Only

• 6,778 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Oh give me a break. Sure someone took the time to digitally put a young adult who is vaguely different than the adults in the crowd to a very smahll degree. Its so clear now. Whatever floats your boat.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#71    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Posted Image

Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemntity.

A pair of sunglassess from 1941 - http://www.militaryt...read.php?t=6007

Edit to add link.

Edited by Mangoze, 09 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#72    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostMangoze, on 09 October 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemntity.

A pair of sunglassess from 1941 - http://www.militaryt...read.php?t=6007

Edit to add link.

I've seen the Double Indemnity pic before, over at ATS. Notice that in that picture and your link that the side-shields don't go nearly half way to the ear like the one of the young man in the crowd.

cormac

#73    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,658 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

could the "going to the ears" be a result of shadows?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#74    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,101 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 October 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

could the "going to the ears" be a result of shadows?

Considering that the sun is behind the man, it doesn't appear like shadows to me.

40's picture.jpg

cormac

#75    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Have you tried to look what is in his hands?

Posted Image

Is that a camera? One of those old ones with a retractable lense? If so, he could be wearing these lenses as a protection against the flash, or just to have a clearer view in bright sunlight. It would also be interesting to know what they are looking at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users