Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"White Witch of Rose Hall"

Black..Death

Annie Palmer was not what you would call a sweet person, even though she owned a vast sugar plantation in Jamaica.

In the 1700s, a woman's route to wealth and power was usually via marriage, and Annie Palmer was no exception. Born in France, Annie was a petite woman (barely 4 feet tall, it is said) who moved to the beautiful island of Jamaica to be the wife of a powerful man who owned Rose Hall and thousands of acres of sugar plantation. Little is known of her early days at Rose Hall. We do not know if she came to the island already imbued with a streak of cruelty, or if she cultivated it under the demands of her husband and her duties as the mistress of The Great House. It is said that she pined greatly for the bright lights of Paris, and found life on the island to be a hardship.

Whatever the cause, Annie was feared by the slaves who lived on and worked the plantation. She ruled with an iron fist, and defiance, or even perceived insolence, was answered with public whippings, torture in the dungeon, or even death. Annie started her day by stepping to the small balcony shown in the picture below, and issuing the orders of the day to the assembled slaves in the yard. Her orders often included punishments and executions.

Hauntings

The spirit of Annie Palmer, the White Witch of Jamaica, still haunts Rose Hall, along with a host of other spirits... presumably those of her victims.

According to local legend, the White Witch still haunts the house, and would seize any intruders. Furthermore, according to the whispered stories, she could still be seen at night riding on Rose Hall and Ironshore estates, wearing a green velvet dress, seated on a large black horse, and flaying with her whip anyone who got in her way. Annie is also said to manifest most frequently as a series of hurried foots steps heard walking through the main hall to the back entrance of the Great House.

There are also stories of whispered voices in the dungeon, invisible footsteps on the stairs, and tapping on the walls. Some also claim to hear the cries of the babies she murdered, as well as old, old music as if from a long ago ball. The 18th century ghosts seem to have developed an affinity for electricity, delighting in turning lights on and off at random times. -Black..Death

Edited by Black..Death
  • Like 1

Excellent re-cap of the story. I have been to Rose Hall in Jamaica and i must say it was truly horrifying. The energy was an electrical negative if that makes sense. I remember only wanting to leave and feeling choked. (Similar to how I felt in Scotland in the underground city).

When I did leave I felt such a relief- the people I was with drove us all by Johnny Cashes house for some light-heartedness since I was sort of comatose... Oh man- excellent story :tu: ((chills))

Definitely she was a very cruel lady and I think she developed this sense of cruelty only after she came to Jamaica with her husband because she had wide ranging powers and so many slaves with her and so she decided to rule on them. The cries and other sounds from the dungeons also can be explained as ghost haunting because many times she killed and whipped so many people in the dungeons and other areas of that great hall and in their after death life they thought to haunt the palace and harm anyone in their way .But those ghost developing a likeness towards electricity is just a prank made by people visiting there or So does I think. This incident cannot be taken as any psychological phenomena because all the people who visited there experienced this. However I don’t believe in the electrical light thing

By the way...Welcome to the forums

Hope you enjoy the stay

Thanks

B???

Edited by behaviour???

Excellent re-cap of the story. I have been to Rose Hall in Jamaica and i must say it was truly horrifying. The energy was an electrical negative if that makes sense. I remember only wanting to leave and feeling choked. (Similar to how I felt in Scotland in the underground city).

When I did leave I felt such a relief- the people I was with drove us all by Johnny Cashes house for some light-heartedness since I was sort of comatose... Oh man- excellent story :tu: ((chills))

I am jealous as I have never been. Thanks for recapping the story. I had heard it before as well, but never in so much detail. Does anyone have an evidence from Rose Hall investigations?

iv had some strange things happen ..if anyone wants Pictures or to hear about it just pm me

Can you post them here please???? :tu:

• 5 years later...

I've been there too and we bought the book in the 60's. It was an "eye-opening" book for me as a young kid. And so had a special excitement about it. It wasn't our standard book fare around the house. I think I still have it on my bookshelves somewhere around here.