Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 11 votes

The Paranormal is it Fake?

• Please log in to reply
852 replies to this topic

#811    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 168 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

To say ask if the paranormal itself is fake is far to general. It's a very broad subject.

#812    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,036 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 26 August 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

.. One can talk wth animals trees etc without the aid of any drug. .

But if you require an answer I recommend a parrot

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#813    slaughtr

slaughtr

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

• I Doubt Nothing!!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Look cut all the phony bs about what is not verifyable. For what I have personally delt with myself as well as hundreds of others you can stuff your notions about paranormal activity as being fake ina stromboli. I don't care who believes or who is skeptical because to me none of you all matter.what does matter is the many families and people who have experienced these phenomina. As I always say there are things science can not explain so to insist there has to be an explanation and proof ?,...it doesn't always fall inline like that. To deny there is no proof is absent minded as hell and really no matter how much proof you present somebody always wants to find an explanation for every damn thing.Honestly if you don't believe stay of the post you do more than infuriate me. If parasychology was fake why study it? Although we know that there are fakes but that's best explained like having a piggy bank full of pennies and out of 1000 pennies ther are 23 fakes or canadian pennies. All in saying skeptics stay skeptic utill it happens to you and folks who believe don't worry about who doesn't because when it's all over they will learn.

#814    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postslaughtr, on 26 August 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Look cut all the phony bs about what is not verifyable. For what I have personally delt with myself as well as hundreds of others you can stuff your notions about paranormal activity as being fake ina stromboli. I don't care who believes or who is skeptical because to me none of you all matter

Then why are you wasting your time here?

#815    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 August 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Then why are you wasting your time here?

Same reason as me I believe, because I believe most of you are more capable of holding an unoffensive conversation about this topic than just "proof please". I've been proven wrong on a few accounts on that though. You can always draw your own conclusions about proof and come up with an alternative theory, everyone can conceive alternative possibilities. So I've done my time wasting on these kind of things here, I hope. Just begs the question, why do you waste your time here to try to "educate" us that an one-eyed view is better than giving room for other theories, swinging your proof around as if you didn't understand what I've just said.

I'll be gone.

#816    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 26 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Same reason as me I believe, because I believe most of you are more capable of holding an unoffensive conversation about this topic than just "proof please". I've been proven wrong on a few accounts on that though. You can always draw your own conclusions about proof and come up with an alternative theory, everyone can conceive alternative possibilities. So I've done my time wasting on these kind of things here, I hope. Just begs the question, why do you waste your time here to try to "educate" us that an one-eyed view is better than giving room for other theories, swinging your proof around as if you didn't understand what I've just said.

But you do understand that the burden of 'proof' is on those making the claim that the paranormal is real right? The point of people 'explaining' certain paranormal phenomena with rational non paranormal explanations is simply to show that the 'paranormal' event does not HAVE to be paranormal and can be explained with conventional reasoning. Because most paranormal 'events' can be rationally explained it means that those who say the paranormal is real are going to have a pretty hard time explaining with any rationality why they think said event was paranormal in nature. Because the human mind is so easily tricked (pareidolia, optical illusions, etc), not to mention the huge numbers of people suffering from mental illnesses it means that sadly, eyewitness accounts and experience do not count for much in this pursuit of truth. What is required is objective, real, hard, measurable, reproducible, evidence to support it. Something that most paranormal phenomena are very much lacking in- which begs the question- if paranormal phenomena are real then why so little evidence? The evidence for Santa Clause is in some cases more compelling than the evidence for some paranormal phenomena. So why is this?

#817    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,406 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Things can be explained rationally because rational is physical and physical is at least almost always one side of things, and seems to be always connected in some level to these things. So it's a given there's a rational explanation to things in most cases.

One thing you sceptics seem to ignore somewhat, or be less sensitive to, is placebo, the power of the mind, willpower, whatever you want to call all that. It all works similiarly to me. When you doubt just because it's fun or "your thing" to doubt instead of doubting because you have a hunch it's wrong or because there's something that you actually think makes it sound wrong instead of your conditioning speaking out, conditioning that paranormal is supposed to be fake and unscientific. I dont believe a sincere doubt with a real reason hurts when you aim to discover the true state of the matter instead of bash other peoples' beliefs, but how often is that the case really? Can you say sceptics have not taken camps and dug moats where they fortify themselves and keep using whatever means necessary to make their point come across?

Sorry for being awfully focused on how it's on a lot of sceptics too, but you need to understand that if you want to explore something like this, I think. Arguments and fights dont have to be bad but when you let your predisposition dominate you on these matters it's hard to exchange things.

What you say about human mind being easily tricked and all that is true, I feel the same. And those cases where this seems to be the case, where it seems to be just someone seeking attention or money or something like that, just leave them alone... not worth it. And you're right, paranormal event doesn't have to be paranormal. In fact what is paranormal at the end of the day? Placebo? Something science can't now explain? Nah... that's just things we can't explain yet on the physical level. Parallel levels can exist because physical and what's beyond physical can exist parallel. I believe they do, but if you find something that you think might convince me to change my stance on that belief, I ain't going to keep demanding you for proof but just take what you got and see how far I can question myself. Why can't a lot of you sceptics do the same when we give something?

I'll be gone.

#818    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,487 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 26 August 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

One thing you sceptics seem to ignore somewhat, or be less sensitive to, is placebo, the power of the mind, willpower, whatever you want to call all that. It all works similiarly to me.

Not at all, as matter of fact one could say it is exactly the power of the mind that in my view has led people to believe with too much certainty in the paranormal.  The mind is incredible, it basically assembles and orders and makes sense of our shared reality from a relatively small amount of sensual inputs.  There is absolutely no doubt however that the brain is not always 100% perfect at assembling internally what is reality, it does make mistakes, both perceptually and cognitively, and can mislead.  Skeptics are not necessarily any more immune to that compared to anyone else, but what a lot of skeptics do recognize is that because the brain and especially the interpretations we make can be prone to error, then our confidence in what we think are the cause of things we experience should be tempered by that, especially for things that we classify as paranormal since they cannot be demonstrated and have other possible more mundane interpretations.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#819    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,737 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 August 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

The folly is you trust your own personal judgement without standards.  This is arrogance, and leaves you open to being conned.
One MUST be able to trust one's own personal judgement and standards This requires education and understanding /knowledge but is an imperative for an individual to live in any world. Who else's judgements and standards should one live by but ones own ethical, moral, logical and spiritual values? These must be tested against logic, philosophy, and historical/socilogical, and other standards. They mus tbe compared/contrasted and evaluated for comparative  benefit and worth to one's self, to one's society and to humanity. But still, ONLY ones own  judgements can be relied upon, because one can only be sure of one's own integrity standards etc. Never anothers.

Naturally standards are important, but only one's own standards in any thing should determine the way a person lives.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#820    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,737 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

View Postfullywired, on 26 August 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

But if you require an answer I recommend a parrot

fullywired
Not necessarily. The cosmic consciousness can supply logical and responsive dialogue from any source. One can learn a great deal via communing with all forms of nature, and people.
I have even won a few bets on the melbourne  cup from tips given by " trees".  IMO this is not the tree speaking to me, but a response form the cosmic consciousness, who/which responds using the tree as an avatar.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#821    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

What I've seen is that largely those who were raised in fundamentalist ("we are right and all who disagree are evil") homes who nevertheless end up not believing retain the fundamentalist attitude, except they turn it back on their origins and end up hating religion.

Those raised in more liberal environments generally aren't as interested in how wrong the believers are and are more tolerant of what they only view as somewhat intellectually behind the times.

#822    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 26 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Same reason as me I believe, because I believe most of you are more capable of holding an unoffensive conversation about this topic than just "proof please".

Unlike you, the opinions of people here matter to me. There are a lot of smart people here who have different experiences from me that I like reading about.

Just begs the question, why do you waste your time here to try to "educate" us that an one-eyed view is better than giving room for other theories, swinging your proof around as if you didn't understand what I've just said.

Because some people are jumping to conclusions without understanding the evidence.

#823    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

"Proof please." or at least "show me credible evidence, not just testimony," is the only appropriate and healthy response when someone makes extraordinary claims.  It does not matter that you believe it -- no matter who you are.

There is a difference between skepticism (not believing things just on someone's word" and cynicisms (refusal to believe no matter what."

#824    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,406 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 August 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

"Proof please." or at least "show me credible evidence, not just testimony," is the only appropriate and healthy response when someone makes extraordinary claims.  It does not matter that you believe it -- no matter who you are.

There is a difference between skepticism (not believing things just on someone's word" and cynicisms (refusal to believe no matter what."

That's an opinion, Frank. We're all entitled to those. My opinion, what you make of the proof matters too. Like Scowl said. Not just any proof, it's a question what kind of proof, and you'd be expected to be able to give a solid reason why you want the proof you do, what makes you believe the proof you seek would be the kind of proof you need. Not your motives, but why you think the proof you want will actually prove and will actually be there in those conditions you require. An explanation why you think those conditions would be valid for proving the thing. In cryptozoology and murder mystery cases it's pretty often pretty evident, but there too you would do yourself a favor if you put more thought to this, if you really want to find out about those things.

And it's been handled over and over in this topic too probably, but the proof ain't always there in all conditions, and even those who might be able to produce proof might not fully be aware of what kind of conditions they can truly reproduce it. Instead of just calling it their fault, if you're truly interested in finding out about things, why not encourage them for a better path instead of discouraging them or wasting their time? Because they were many of the audacious enough to waste yours? And how would you know if the phenomena was real and they just had some little thing wrong and that why the evidence came out invalid? Would you know what caused the evidence to turn out faulty even if the phenomena was real, or know someone who knows why? I know there's more or less evident cases of charlatans or some who really come across as such, but that explanation isn't a default, not something you should assume of everything that goes against your beliefs.

I guess it all boils down to whether you treat this forum (or any other) a debate arena, a place to just discuss, or a place from where you might advance your research and worldviews. I like to mix them up always but the latter is my priority, exploration of all kind. And while I most certainly cannot blame people having different motives than my own for coming here, can you blame me for not serving your motives? If you're here for the same motive as me as your first priority, you dont need proof, because you're driven enough to get it if you know where to look, if someone gives you a map or a clue. We usually research things because they're interesting or important. If you dont feel that way about what you ask proof for, why should I be any more interested than you in addition to all this?

That said, go on demanding your proof in debates. But dont expect it like it'd be written down in a law. Because I dont care if forum rules or real life rules or universe's god-given rules or your personal rules demanded it, it ain't gonna force me to be a servant to someone who doesn't have the heart for what they ask. You know it's a poor form of discussion, unless you want to end the discussion, because there's conclusive proof of nothing. Nothing. There can always be something that'll change our views so profoundly that even the most trusted things we thought were solid, turn upside down. People just lean more towards the explanation they're used to, rather than the new explanation, if the new one feels uncomfortable for them. It doesn't fully govern us, but it influences enough to not accept the slightly more likely new explanation over the old and safe one. How much, is up to individuals themselves. And the new explanation is of course the one which you dont feel comfortable about because it fundamentally changes your view(s), the one new and breaking to your views in particular. We are still going throught the process of accepting something new to our world of how things should go, always will be. It'll always be a challenge, but not tackling up to it isn't gonna make it any easier, just harder the more you try to hold on to your old truth because someone, somewhere in the world is eventually bound to surpass you if you're wrong. And you're bound to be stuck to your place if you're wrong. That why I keep myself open to explanations that might shake up my worldviews completely, even if those who gave it had no proof whatsoever. I'm a big man now, I can get it myself, and I know to rather persuade them or subterfuge them to give me proof than go demand it without making any appealing argument for it, nor even making the effort to truly understand what it's all about, if I want someone to give it to me. Because it works better that way for the both of us, wastes less time and leaves both parties walking away happier.

Why waste your time even asking for proof if you aint that interested and know you ain't gonna get it?

Just thoughts I wanted to toss at you about this. Not saying you're in the wrong in all this, but your power doesn't extend to assume people would cater for your views of how things should work.

And if you were a more paranoid or suspecting person (sceptical) than me, you'd probably think this forum was full of debate-bots hired to mislead people and waste their time and energy if you shared my view on this, but I doubt it. Maybe here's some people hired to do that, but I believe just as many just dont think things this way and dont realise people can see things the way I do on this. And that you can't turn my head on this, unless you bring something with sincerity and without a backstabbing intent.

Edited by Mikko-kun, 27 August 2013 - 09:00 PM.

I'll be gone.

#825    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

World is magic. With a supreme effort of will you can pushed the unwanted pain. Once you notice something, you can never return to the time when you did not notice it. Then you ask yourself „How didnt I see this before?“ You was just not awared.  Power of will is amazing. If you believe you can change something you realy can. But if you dont have power of will its all decided. Curiosity have own reason of existing. Otherwise it would not exist at all. If you tell someone to not open a box one will peak into box. Its human nature. And what is normal? To do only what the masses do? Or to follow your dream and heart. Why people feel anxiety? Because they not doing what heart told them. Dont listen inner being. Ofcourse we are not immune to all. Everything is interconnected. Everything is fated and the inevitable. World is not random. Things dont happen by randomness. There are no coincidences. Everything is interconnected. Even if you are lonely someone cares. Thats why we feel love and sorrow. And both we carry with us all the way. When you loose loving person you will always feel sorrow when remember that he/she isnt with us. There’s no such thing as an one sided connection. Everything is fated. There is reason why we two met on Internet.  Science art religion are brenches of same tree. And its hard to understand all brenches. But if you understand seed, it easier to understand whole tree. When we learn we become specalize into one field as we learn-we learn one tiny part of it. That way we can never see whole picture.  People forget about good things in life. Laugh, family, walk, sleep, love, friend, learning, kids, truth, loyality, respect for elders, forgivness, redemption, generousity, delicious food and finally hope. And guess what? They are all free. Humanity forget whats comfortable. We live in pain constantly not even noticing it. But if you become self awared of it, your life will be improved. You need to know yourself first.  Remember -who looks outside dreams, who looks inside awakes. Worst thing in your life you can do its ignoring yourself. There are people who knows all about specific science yet they do not never meet themselves. And to even try to explain to person what he/she needs to do is hard because its hard to explain something what you can feel and he/she dont. Life is compesation. Everything  you do and want, you have to pay the equal price. You want to be athlete looking you must spent hours in gym. If you kill someone you will pay for that life taking the burden which is hard and in the end which will burried you. Words have powers. Names have power. Insults can hurt you more then Katana.  Sometimes you will need years to recover yourself from insults. We all have inner scars. We all have scars on bodies from childhood. And we all forget that our childhood friend who push us when we were playing ball. But body didnt forget. We have scars. And our souls have scars. Of words and evil deeds. We humans forget whats comfortable. We built unhumanic world. You must ask yourself how can bird built un-bird nest? Like we stop being humans. World is rotting. And  world is rot because of us.  We need to change that.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 27 August 2013 - 10:44 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users