Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Causality

causes causality explanations

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Some of you might be interested in my very short article about causality.

http://pages.csam.mo...heo/cause3.html  

Please share this link with other potential readers. Thank you in advance,

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Autobiography, “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality,” is at:
http://csam.montclai...life/intro.html
Based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA.  
Please share this link to a FREE ON-LINE BOOK with others. Thank you in advance.
Ludwik Kowalski, Professor Emeritus, Montclair State University, NJ, USA

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

I believe in causality.  I'm not a scientist like you and really don't understand everything you are talking about.  I know for every action there is a reaction.  Slap someone and you will probably get slapped, raise a child in a unloving enviroment and they will probably have a hard time showing love.

#3    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostHilander, on 19 June 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

I believe in causality.  I'm not a scientist like you and really don't understand everything you are talking about.  I know for every action there is a reaction.  Slap someone and you will probably get slapped, raise a child in a unloving enviroment and they will probably have a hard time showing love.

Yes,the word "probably" is often needed; some predictions are exact (deterministic) while others are not exact (probabilistic). Predictions based on the law of supply and demand, for example, are probabilistic.

L.K.

Autobiography, “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality,” is at:
Based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA.  
Please share this link to a FREE ON-LINE BOOK with others. Thank you in advance.

#4    Jason K

Jason K

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I wouldn't even say your second diagram is correct. No cause can be linked with its effect absolutely. For instance, when we observe a match being struck to produce fire, we cannot be certain that the striking of the match was the actual cause of the fire. Our minds merely observe a succession of events - first, the match being struck and, second, the flame erupting into being - and it is only through our past experiences of watching a similar succession of events that enables us to assume the two are causally linked. But we can never be sure that this assumption is valid. The fire might well have been produced by something else entirely, by an event or force that our minds, for whatever reason, are unable to observe. It could be that hidden space aliens orbiting the earth produced the fire, to use an extreme example. Who knows? And even if we were able to observe the aliens producing this fire, we would have no way of knowing whether this was really happening either. Perhaps there are yet further hidden factors involved?

David Hume established this in the 18th century.

#5    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostJason K, on 24 June 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

I wouldn't even say your second diagram is correct. No cause can be linked with its effect absolutely. For instance, when we observe a match being struck to produce fire, we cannot be certain that the striking of the match was the actual cause of the fire. Our minds merely observe a succession of events - first, the match being struck and, second, the flame erupting into being - and it is only through our past experiences of watching a similar succession of events that enables us to assume the two are causally linked. But we can never be sure that this assumption is valid. The fire might well have been produced by something else entirely, by an event or force that our minds, for whatever reason, are unable to observe. It could be that hidden space aliens orbiting the earth produced the fire, to use an extreme example. Who knows? And even if we were able to observe the aliens producing this fire, we would have no way of knowing whether this was really happening either. Perhaps there are yet further hidden factors involved? ...  

1) I agree that "a succession of events" does not mean that one of them is the cause of another. It is only a necessary condition for this.

2) And yes, "perhaps" there are such hidden factors to be discovered.  Causality is established by a theory, which can be either accepted or rejected, depending on what we know.

#6    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostLudwik, on 24 June 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

1) I agree that "a succession of events" does not mean that one of them is the cause of another. It is only a necessary condition for this.

2) And yes, "perhaps" there are such hidden factors to be discovered.  Causality is established by a theory, which can be either accepted or rejected, depending on what we know.

P.S.
My unit on causality should be considered as unfinished. There is more to be added and clarified. I will try to do this within a week or so. Thank you for comments,

L.K.

#7    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I believe in chaos theory, i don't think every action can be explain and everything is for some cause, then explain me this, what is the cause for this all, i mean the universe, that imply god is involved, and then stops to be science.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#8    Cranberry Nymph

Cranberry Nymph

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• Fear is the heart of control.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Thank you for sharing your article, its definitely food for thought.  It makes sense that "A single event can be due to several different causes and each event can cause more than one event,"  I suspect that even what appears to be chaos is part of the ordered flow of events within the universe, the causes are often not recognized by the individual.  As you said, an event can be interpreted in many ways.  Each of those interpretations being dependent upon the individual's perspective.

And what about Synchronicity?  Ha ha...  another can of worms.  Carl Jung proposed that synchronistic events lie outside the realm of cause and effect.  I would not presume to disagree with him comprehensively, as I have much to learn.  But I feel that maybe synchronicity is also orchestrated by the laws of the universe.  And what beautiful harmony makes up this exquisite song of life!

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,115 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

What happens, as in Fig. 2., when all the event arrows point to one event?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 27 June 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

That would change Figure 2 only. Nothing would change in our material world.

#11    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

The unit on causality at

http://pages.csam.mo...heo/cause3.html

has been updated.

Thank you for comments.

L.K.

#12    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,115 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Posted ImageStarMountainKid, on 26 June 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Ludwik said:

That would change Figure 2 only. Nothing would change in our material world.

I was thinking that I wouldn't want to be that central event, although it might mean I've won the lottery!

There has been discussions here recently about Time Machines. Do you think there could be invented a kind of Causal Event Machine?

What I mean is, is there an underlying mechanism deeper than the usual cause/effect relationships that we experience? It seems to me cause and effects can be a product of randomness, in the sense that cause/effect is sometimes produced by probabilities  These we may call coincidences.

But, are there any true randomly occurring events in the universe?  If there are no probabilistic random events, if causality rules, then we live in a Newtonian universe, in this sense.

If events on the quantum scale can be considered random, then, fundamentally, events in the universe are random. The boundary between the scale of quantum events and events on our scale may be blurred, but they are also connected to some degree. The influence of this connection may be small, but it still must exist.

What I'm trying to get at is, do random probabilities produce cause/effect, or is cause/effect the product of deterministic events?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#13    digidigibam

digidigibam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hello fellow beings of light where information passes thru. How are ya? Causality must be, but only in the the reality of duality can it exist? I am a slave to causality, it's what brought us in to this mess. This then that, if that then this. And there the manifestation begun. If only i had a choice? Or is the choice the action or reaction? What if your aware of the choice that is given by you...

Edited by digidigibam, 28 June 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#14    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Dont get it. LOL

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#15    Ludwik

Ludwik

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

... Do you think there could be invented a kind of Causal Event Machine? ...

All kind of machines can be invented, and named in different ways. Let us wait for the invention.

L.K.

Edited by Ludwik, 16 July 2012 - 07:16 PM.

Also tagged with causes, causality, explanations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users