Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your favorite movie monsters

Strong Flower

Kind of old school for me...

Dracula (the Christopher Lee version is my favorite) - absolute evil - with class...

The Monster - From "Young Frankenstein" - the zipper in the neck was perfect!...

The Creature from the Black lagoon - Kind of felt sorry for him/it

The Alien - From "Alien"

The Pod People - From "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

• Like 2

This is more along the lines of the OP as far as the Toho movie monsters, but mine, maybe only in second to Godzilla, would be the Green Gargantua from 'War of the Gargantuas'. It's a cheezy 60's movie but probably has more scenes of the monsters themselves than any of the era (not sure about the Gamera movies though, never was in to those). Anyway, the Green Gargantua was the only giant monster from the Godzilla pantheon that I'm aware of that actually ate people, and he was scary looking on his own. At the age that I first saw it, perfect stuff for many nightmares.

Godzilla definitely. Although I rather like the 90s iteration (especially the "meltdown" one).

I have a soft spot for both Anguirus and Baragon, but probably because Baragon's a wee bit ridiculous. King Ghidorah too, and that giant robotic funky chicken Gigan :)

The Alien from Alien.

Pumpkinhead (hell yeah!)

Is it racist to include Jawas? Because... you know... they're a fully realised alien species... ?

I have to admit I also have a soft spot for werewolves: Dog Soldiers, Lon Chaney Jr (it's common knowledge he was, in fact, a wolfie), the wolves from A Company Of Wolves (which are essentially wolves that take on the guise of people).

Gwangi!!!!! In fact nearly any Harryhausen creation: Medusa (who scared the crap out of me as a pup), Talos, the hydra, the gryphon in Sinbad, the sea monster in Titans... the list goes on forever... Oh and Bubo!

And since Cthulhu was in his own movie by the HPLHS; Him too!!! :D

• Like 1

Count Orlock (both Max Schreck and Klaus Kinski) - Nosferatu

Erik (Lon Chaney) - The Phantom Of The Opera

Count Dracula (Christopher Lee) - Horror Of Dracula

The Monster (Boris Karloff) - Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, & Son Of Frankenstein

The Monster (Christopher Lee) - The Curse Of Frankenstein

Mr Hyde (Frederick March) - Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde

Lola The Panther Woman (Kathleen Burke) - Island Of Lost Souls

Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney Jr) - The Wolf Man

Irena (Simone Simon) - Cat People

Imhotep (Boris Karloff) - The Mummy

Kharis (Christopher Lee) - The Mummy

Ants - THEM!

The Pod People - Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

The Thing (James Arness & Carpenter remake) - The Thing From Another World

Asa & Igor (Barbara Steele & Arturo Dominici) - Black Sunday

Leon Corledo (Oliver Reed) - The Curse Of The Werewolf

Anna (Jacqueline Pearce) - The Reptile

Michael Myers (Nick Castle) - Halloween

Alien - ALIEN

David (David Naughton) - An American Werewolf In London

Eddie Quist (Robert Picardo) - The Howling

Tarman - Return Of The Living Dead

Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) - A Nightmare On Elm Street

Dr Hill (David Gale) - The Re-Animator

Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) - The Terminator

Brundle Fly (Jeff Goldbloom) - The Fly

Pinhead (Doug Bradley) - Hellraiser

Pumpkinhead

Count Dracula (Gary Oldman) - Bram Stoker's Dracula

Many, many kaiju creatures previously listed.

I will probably post up more as they occur to me but that's all for now!

This is more along the lines of the OP as far as the Toho movie monsters, but mine, maybe only in second to Godzilla, would be the Green Gargantua from 'War of the Gargantuas'. It's a cheezy 60's movie but probably has more scenes of the monsters themselves than any of the era (not sure about the Gamera movies though, never was in to those). Anyway, the Green Gargantua was the only giant monster from the Godzilla pantheon that I'm aware of that actually ate people, and he was scary looking on his own. At the age that I first saw it, perfect stuff for many nightmares.

GAIRA!

Edited by B Jenkins
  • Like 1

The Thing and Freddy Krueger plus many that you have already mentioned.

GAIRA!

Ha!! Thanks, I knew he had a name, I was thinking 'Sanda' or 'Saida' or something like that, maybe that's the brown one. Terrifying stuff though, even when Godzilla was mean he didn't eat people, he might burn or stomp you or smash you with his tail. Definitely nothing along the lines of looking in a window, reaching in and grabbing someone, and stuffing them in your mouth and chewing; as far as terror, that's on a whole other level compared to things like giant flying spinning flaming turtles.

Ha!! Thanks, I knew he had a name, I was thinking 'Sanda' or 'Saida' or something like that, maybe that's the brown one. Terrifying stuff though, even when Godzilla was mean he didn't eat people, he might burn or stomp you or smash you with his tail. Definitely nothing along the lines of looking in a window, reaching in and grabbing someone, and stuffing them in your mouth and chewing; as far as terror, that's on a whole other level compared to things like giant flying spinning flaming turtles.

Yes, War Of The Gargantuas has plenty of horror elements and I like the dualism between the two monsters too. Gaira is a horrific kaiju creation with a frightening appearance and his scream is chilling. This film scared me too as a child watching it on Saturday afternoons. It is one of my favorite if not very favorite kaiju monster films. Maybe a tie between it and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

There is only one other kaiju film that approach the horror of this film to me as a child and that was Rodan with those giant mutant grubs in the flooded mineshaft that would pull people under the water.

Yes, War Of The Gargantuas has plenty of horror elements and I like the dualism between the two monsters too. Gaira is a horrific kaiju creation with a frightening appearance and his scream is chilling. This film scared me too as a child watching it on Saturday afternoons. It is one of my favorite if not very favorite kaiju monster films. Maybe a tie between it and Godzilla vs Hedorah.

There is only one other kaiju film that approach the horror of this film to me as a child and that was Rodan with those giant mutant grubs in the flooded mineshaft that would pull people under the water.

I remember checking out the TV guide in the paper every week and would check the weekend horror/creature feature listings hoping for War of the Gargantuas, it was to me the tops at the time. In almost every other kaiju from that era it seems that there are long stretches where the monster is not in the scene, even some of the later ones also, but Gargantuas does not have that problem. The only criticism I have is that the middle scene with Gaira vs the military is a bit long, but other than it's solid all around. Ha, I had forgotten about that Rodan scene, that is another nightmare-inducing one. I saw Gargantuas when I was probably way too young, maybe 5 or so, those are about the earliest repeat nightmares I recall ever having. They didn't last long, but then my older cousins took me a few years later to see Jaws (PG my butt) and that was the end of restful sleep for another while.

How could I forget the "grand daddy" of them all...

KING KONG!

(never cared much for the Godzilla line of critters... So that probably makes me a bit of an oddity in this thread...oh well)..

• Like 1

I remember checking out the TV guide in the paper every week and would check the weekend horror/creature feature listings hoping for War of the Gargantuas, it was to me the tops at the time. In almost every other kaiju from that era it seems that there are long stretches where the monster is not in the scene, even some of the later ones also, but Gargantuas does not have that problem. The only criticism I have is that the middle scene with Gaira vs the military is a bit long, but other than it's solid all around. Ha, I had forgotten about that Rodan scene, that is another nightmare-inducing one. I saw Gargantuas when I was probably way too young, maybe 5 or so, those are about the earliest repeat nightmares I recall ever having. They didn't last long, but then my older cousins took me a few years later to see Jaws (PG my butt) and that was the end of restful sleep for another while.

War Of The Gargantuas is packed with action with a minimum of kaiju human melodrama and long stretches of dull flat dialogue. The creepiest part is when Gaira is looking up at a ship from beneath the sea.

@ around the 2 minute mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YrWbL6DK5Q

Basically my favorite horror films largely consist of Universal classic monsters, Val Lewton films, Terence Fisher & Hammer horror, Roger Corman's Poe cycle, and Japanese kaiju. So monsters are right up my alley.

LOL I forgot to add my favorite movie monster LOL, but anyway mine is actually Anaconda 1LV1sS4tBSMF4Q2vscMobGmKrSY.jpg

Edited by Spore

This one was funny as hell,...

MV5BMTU2NDI3OTMyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTYwMjcyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Edited by Hazzard

I guess I don't necessarily have a favorite movie monster. I liked the monster in the movie Swamp Thing (1982)...I mean, I do recall him fondly! :lol:

One monster that made a big impression on me as a young kid was actually a giant spider. The only scene I remember is where a man is sitting on a bed in a second floor bedroom with his back to a window, and through the window you see a giant spider coming up over the sand dunes in the desert.

It must have been shortly after seeing that movie that I was in a tent and trees were all around and it was dark and the shadows from those tree trunks looked to me like giant spider legs, and so naturally, I had to spend the night outside the tent on a cot with momma. :passifier:

• Like 1

I guess I don't necessarily have a favorite movie monster. I liked the monster in the movie Swamp Thing (1982)...I mean, I do recall him fondly! :lol:

One monster that made a big impression on me as a young kid was actually a giant spider. The only scene I remember is where a man is sitting on a bed in a second floor bedroom with his back to a window, and through the window you see a giant spider coming up over the sand dunes in the desert.

It must have been shortly after seeing that movie that I was in a tent and trees were all around and it was dark and the shadows from those tree trunks looked to me like giant spider legs, and so naturally, I had to spend the night outside the tent on a cot with momma. :passifier:

Wes Craven's Swamp Thing is tons of b-movie fun. More camp than horror.

And that giant spider movie is the 1955 creature feature, Tarantula. It destroys a whole mansion.

• Like 1

The Pale Man, from Pan's Labyrinth. Unfortunately the character is only on screen for 5 minutes but they were five awesome minutes.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

And that giant spider movie is the 1955 creature feature, Tarantula. It destroys a whole mansion.

Yeah, that's the movie. And thanks for the info. I was able to find it online and I watched it again, and that one scene isn't exactly how I remembered it. I never saw any sand dunes that I thought I remembered so vividly, and by the time of that one scene, the spider is already upon the house. :whistle:

Oddly, I recognized the man's pajama's (striped), and I'd already remembered that I thought the man resembled Gene Rayburn (I still think he did!), but I'm stunned that I didn't recall- before I saw it again- the scene where the spider actually peers through window! Yikes!

Anyway, good movie. :tu: