Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl says bones belong to ghost

vampgirl

A Russell County fifth-grader is convinced bones found in her home last weekend belong to a mysterious friend who told her about being chopped up years ago.

Investigators have few clues about how and when the bones got inside insulation under the living room floor of the mobile home on Jowers Road, near East Alabama Motor Speedway.

The 10-year-old, Stephanie Ogden, and her family have lived in the home since 1998. Her great-grandparents, John and Marion Stewart, own the home.

The bones were found Saturday as the Ogdens, who are renovating the home, pulled up boards in the living room floor. Russell County Sheriff's Lt. Heath Taylor said an initial analysis shows the bones are from the pelvis and leg of a child at least 10 years old, and the child has been dead at least 10 years.

Another bone was found Sunday, Marion Stewart said. The area where the bones were found had duct tape over the insulation, Stewart said.

"There's an odor there that doesn't belong," Stewart said.

The bones probably don't have enough marrow to do DNA tests, Taylor said. Because the trailer has been moved several times between Georgia and Alabama, investigators now are faced with the daunting task of trying to track down missing children from a wide area in two states.

Taylor said gnaw marks on the bones may indicate a rodent placed them inside the insulation. Dirt and plant material on the bones indicate they were outside at one time, Taylor said.

Stephanie said a black girl in a white dress started visiting her room when she was about 5 years old. The girl was friendly, but she told Stephanie a horrible story.

"She told me that somebody put her in the floor," Stephanie said. "She said he had a mask on, and that he chopped her up. She didn't know who the person was, because he had a mask on."

Stephanie, a fifth-grader at Dixie Elementary School, now thinks that the bones that were found in her home belong to her playmate.

"It's possible because that girl was a ghost," Stephanie said Monday. "Nobody knows about them."

Marion Stewart said Stephanie used to tell her family about the visitor, but the adults always dismissed the stories as being an imaginative child's fabrication based partly on horror movies. Stewart said Stephanie used to always ask for two glasses of soda when she would play outside -- one glass for her and one for her friend.

Stewart said the weekend's grisly discoveries have convinced her that her great-granddaughter's playmate is actually a tormented soul seeking peace.

"I'm not a psychic, and I don't believe in some of that stuff," Stewart said. "But I believe this is a soul who has not been put to rest."

Taylor said detectives can't base their work on ghost stories.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to investigate a ghost?" he said Monday.

Investigators are looking through databases of missing children to find any links to the trailer's location, but Taylor doesn't hold out much hope of solving the case.

"It's just one of those cases where there's just not a lot to go on," he said.

source

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_Cubero

• joceeghost

• vampgirl

• Mel

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really interesting story. It would be interesting for them to find out who the dead girl was, just to see how much the girl who saw her knows.

Guest Lottie

Its quite probable that a young child has been murdered and yet it astounds me that these people can be so crude by no doubt making up some fantastical tale to obtain some staus and money.

Its quite probable that a young child has been murdered and yet it astounds me that these people can be so crude by no doubt making up some fantastical tale to obtain some staus and money.

293606[/snapback]

Ooooh maybe they'll get a new trailer! I'm not sure what status or money they can get from this. Something about this doesn't feel right to me. Why were the bones just discovered? Were the bones there for the 4 years prior to this family's grandparents purchasing the trailer? It's the dirt thing that doesn't feel right in the whole story, not sure why.

This story.. so Werid.. I think it was true .. I think He want murder her . and she is ghost or just bones

That's really odd I live in Athens Alabama And have not heard anything on the news. It seems that it was really true it would plastered allover the news down here.

i wonder, the details that the girl has given poliece are so vivid. I hope they are accurate as to whom the bones belonged. That would be hot shizzle

That's an interesting story!!! VERY INTERESTING!!! thumbsup.gif

"Never Underestimate The Phenomenal Abilities Of Children!" I think that this might be the moral of this story...

Kid's are extremely capable of "seeing" and picking up on ALL SORTS OF THINGS because they haven't been "taught" that they CAN'T DO IT yet! Society usually "trains us" relatively early in life that we CAN'T DO the things that we ACTUALLY DID as children. Being ignored or dismissed by adults around us and then being ridiculed by our peers if we dare mention something out of the ordinary, and we learn NOT TO see ghosts or pick up on other people's thoughts, (things that many children can actually do.) Soon, most children completely forget that they EVER COULD do such amazing things.

I checked out Vampgirl's Source and it appears to be a reputable, local mainstream newspaper from Columbus Georgia. But I haven't seen anything coming across "The Wires" at my work at The Television Station about "Bones in a Mobile Home's Floor." That would have surely caught my eye! Certainly not EVERY STORY makes The Wire Services though, they'd be jammed up until THE NEXT Millineum if EVERY Local Story hit the wires. But from time to time, a Local Story like this one, that has Human Interest Value will make "The Wires." huh.gif

Now taking off my "Newsman's Hat" and putting on my "Policeman's Hat," (I'm a man of MANY Hats! laugh.gif) The quotes from The Police Officials were mostly accurate. The bones, having been outside at one time, which seems likely due to evidence of Plant Material and Predation, would significantly decrease the chances of obtaining DNA Matches through bone marrow samples utilizing older, cheaper methods. Today, (actually since 9-11,) many advances have been made in collecting DNA Material and Identifying Remains of EXTREMELY DAMAGED Bone and Tissue Samples with NEW Techniques and Technologies, many developed specifically for identifying victims of The WTC Towers and of The Pentagon after 9-11.

I'm assuming that this Russell County Sheriff's Department is a VERY SMALL Department. I mean, their' Sheriff's Lt's. name is "Taylor." It MUST BE Mayberry!!! huh.gifblink.giflaugh.gif Seriously though, smaller departments can't afford such high-tech tests. But then that begs the question, "how much is solving a child's murder worth?" I'd say it's priceless!!! But maybe thats just me... sad.gif

The Local Cops were completely right when they said that it's VERY HARD to "investigate a ghost!" How true that is!!! I am still trying to Investigate my Shadow Creatures, and that's Daunting, Impossible Task.

I was in Alabama back in 1986. I worked on a movie that we shot On-Location there in which I played a 1930's Mobster, the movie was called "Verne Miller." Unfortunately for my acting career, (Yes, yet another "Hat" that I wear,) The Film didn't go anywhere much past it's premiere showing. More or less, it premiered and then went straight to VHS. sad.gif In any case we shot in Birmingham, Montgomery and Springville Al. I was there in Birmingham from late October of that year until mid-December working on that feature.

That's my only connection to that State, but it's an unusual place,,,well when compared to the places that I've lived, San Juan, PR., Brooklyn NY and now LA, it's different. I'm sure that alot of things have changed there in 18 years though.

"OMG!!! It's been 18 years!!! Where does time go???" sad.gifdontgetit.gifsad.gif

I think I'll go and moan and feel sorry for myself over my lost youth now... crying.gif

Edited by David_Cubero

That's an interesting story!!! VERY INTERESTING!!! thumbsup.gif

"Never Underestimate The Phenomenal Abilities Of  Children!" I think that this might be the moral of this story...

Kid's are extremely capable of "seeing" and picking up on ALL SORTS OF THINGS because they haven't been "taught" that they CAN'T DO IT yet! Society usually "trains us" relatively early in life that we CAN'T DO the things that we ACTUALLY DID as children. Being ignored or dismissed by adults around us and then being ridiculed by our peers if we dare mention something out of the ordinary, and we learn NOT TO see ghosts or pick up on other people's thoughts, (things that many children can actually do.) Soon, most children completely forget that they EVER COULD do such amazing things.

I checked out Vampgirl's Source and it appears to be a reputable, local mainstream newspaper from Columbus Georgia. But I haven't seen anything coming across "The Wires" at my work at The Television Station about "Bones in a Mobile Home's Floor." That would have surely caught my eye! Certainly not EVERY STORY makes The Wire Services though, they'd be jammed up until THE NEXT Millineum if EVERY Local Story hit the wires. But from time to time, a Local Story like this one, that has Human Interest Value will make "The Wires." huh.gif

Now taking off my "Newsman's Hat" and putting on my "Policeman's Hat," (I'm a man of MANY Hats! laugh.gif) The quotes from The Police Officials were mostly accurate. The bones, having been outside at one time, which seems likely due to evidence of Plant Material and Predation, would significantly decrease the chances of obtaining DNA Matches through bone marrow samples utilizing older, cheaper methods. Today, (actually since 9-11,) many advances have been made in collecting DNA Material and Identifying Remains of EXTREMELY DAMAGED Bone and Tissue Samples with NEW Techniques and Technologies, many developed specifically for identifying victims of The WTC Towers and of The Pentagon after 9-11.

I'm assuming that this Russell County Sheriff's Department is a VERY SMALL Department. I mean, their' Sheriff's Lt's. name is "Taylor." It MUST BE Mayberry!!! huh.gif  blink.gif  laugh.gif  Seriously though, smaller departments can't afford such high-tech tests. But then that begs the question, "how much is solving a child's murder worth?" I'd say it's priceless!!! But maybe thats just me... sad.gif

The Local Cops were completely right when they said that it's VERY HARD to "investigate a ghost!" How true that is!!! I am still trying to Investigate my Shadow Creatures, and that's Daunting, Impossible Task.

I was in Alabama back in 1986. I worked on a movie that we shot On-Location there in which I played a 1930's Mobster, the movie was called "Verne Miller." Unfortunately for my acting career, (Yes, yet another "Hat" that I wear,) The Film didn't go anywhere much past it's premiere showing. More or less, it premiered and then went straight to VHS. sad.gif In any case we shot in Birmingham, Montgomery and Springville Al. I was there in Birmingham from late October of that year until mid-December working on that feature.

That's my only connection to that State, but it's an unusual place,,,well when compared to the places that I've lived, San Juan, PR., Brooklyn NY and now LA, it's different. I'm sure that alot of things have changed there in 18 years though.

"OMG!!! It's been 18 years!!! Where does time go???" sad.gifdontgetit.gifsad.gif

I think I'll go and moan and feel sorry for myself over my lost youth now... crying.gif

294574[/snapback]

David I can tell you little has changed here, but next time you are in Alabama look me up I'll take you to some of the huants and show where people swear to seen bigfoot. Edited by joceeghost

David I can tell you little has changed here, but next time you are in Alabama look me up I'll take you to some of the huants and show where people swear to seen bigfoot.

296146[/snapback]

COOOOOOOL!!!!! thumbsup.gif That would be great!!!

I'd love to see Bigfoot, or at least to see where He/She has been. dontgetit.giforiginal.gif

It would be neat to see the Haunts. I like to take pics of such places.

I actually have a picture of "The Old Knickerbocker Hotel" that I took, enlarged to 18X24, framed and now have it hanging above my bed. "The Knickerbocker" is one of the old once-spectacular Hotels here in Hollywood. (It's sort of a dump now, but they still have a very nice restaurant inside.) wacko.gif It was the "In-Place" for the Hollywood elite between 50 and 80 years ago. Now it's one of the places out here in So. Cal. that's said to be haunted. An interesting side-note about "The Knickerbocker" is that actor, William Frawley, (a.k.a. Fred Mertz,) lived at The Hotel and died on the front stoop of the building. He fell dead of a heart attack while returning to the building in 1966 as I am told. It's also said that His' ghost still haunts The Building! Rudolf Valentino also used to frequent the Hotel, and He too is said to haunt the place. It was also at The Knickerbocker where Harry Houdini's wife conducted the seance on Halloween, one year after His' Death, in an attempt to contact him. Of course, you know the story that He promised to return on first anniversary of His' Death. But he hasn't done so yet, despite the fact that a small group of people STILL meet at The Knickerbocker EVERY Halloween hoping to see Houdini. huh.gif

There's NOTHING out of the ordinary in The Picture that I took of The Knickerbocker, which hangs in my bedroom, but any time I go by The Place, I get a feeling of being drawn back in time to the Hey-Day of Hollywood and to those old Super-Stars. I just liked the pic and I thought it would look cool above blown-up and hung above my bed.

In fact, if you're ever out here, I'll take you on a personal tour of all of the neat places here that's said to be haunted, many haunted by celebrities. No Haunted Tour of The LA area is complete without dropping by The Forest Lawn Cemetery here in Burbank, which is actually very close to my house, where so many stars are buried and entombed and many spooks are said to Haunt The Cemetery, also you have to stop by The Los Angeles Medical Examiner's Office Gift Shop, where they have a large number of creepy, freaky souvenirs that any ghost fan would love to check out.

*** ("ONLY IN L.A. would there be a Gift Shop at The Morgue.") laugh.gif ***

You know, I was in Panama City Beach Florida covering the landfall of Hurricane Ivan for my Television News Show just a few weeks ago. I wish that I had known, I could have met up with you then. (Hey, The Television Station pays for my transportation, so I could have grabbed a flight to your nearest Airport and gone on the tour. grin2.gif Well, I'll take you up on that during my next movie shoot there OR after the next hurricane. huh.gif )

Before we left The Gulf Coast, we actually went over to Mobile to shoot some footage of the damage there, so I was actually in Alabama briefly a short time ago. I couldn't tell much about it though, not with everything all blown around and most people having evacuated.

So things haven't changed much around there, eh? Wow!!!! Maybe it IS Mayberry. wink2.giflaugh.gif I would have thought that things would have modernized more than it was way back when. blink.gif