Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guy Hacks into NASA and Pentagon Computers

nasa pentagon ufo uso fox new

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#91    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Psyche - Do you remember the days of Wardriving? Having to dial in to each network you wanted to access via amazing 8bit land line? lol!

#92    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 16 December 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Psyche - Do you remember the days of Wardriving? Having to dial in to each network you wanted to access via amazing 8bit land line? lol!

Oh darn...my first modem, 300Baud, next 2,400baud. And the efficiency of the BBS system for "emails" :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#93    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,103 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 16 December 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

Oh darn...my first modem, 300Baud, next 2,400baud. And the efficiency of the BBS system for "emails" :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

I remember those days..

and the days where 'you will never fill a 270meg hdd'.. they were massive..

#94    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 16 December 2012 - 03:29 AM, said:

I remember those days..

and the days where 'you will never fill a 270meg hdd'.. they were massive..

Oh yeah....my first HDD was 100M and it was not only massive, but probably had the same price tag as a pretty capable jet fighter :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#95    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Next Stop Hooterville ! :clap: Trilliongilliontetra bitemes !

This is a Work in Progress!

#96    uprize

uprize

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 15 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I can't help but think there's more to this than just a lucky break for this guy.  I think he knows something and he's traded his silence for his freedom.  If he went to trial, he could sing like a bird even if it's a load of lies, and cause all manner of diplomatic problems.  Now that he is probably read the wikileaks stuff, he could embellish the stories even more and big brother would have a b**** of a time proving him wrong without giving up the real secrets.  I think it's BS that he's let off on compassionate grounds.

Hacker McKinnon will not face charges in the UK after US extradition blocked

Computer hacker Gary McKinnon will not face criminal charges in the UK, the country’s top prosecutor has said, two months after his extradition to America was blocked.

http://www.telegraph...on-blocked.html

I think one of these is the case:

1/ The government know that there really is no UFO cover up and so let him off cause they know he knows nothing
or
2/ He made a deal to keep quiet about everything in exchange for freedom..

I think the same as you, number 2

Edited by uprize, 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#97    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

View Postuprize, on 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

1/ The government know that there really is no UFO cover up and so let him off cause they know he knows nothing
or

I agree.
...and I know some members figure he saw nothing by using his Mom's old dial-up modem.  That's true.  But when I refer to possible "secrets" he may have uncovered, I'm not thinking in terms of UFO's specifically.  In fact I doubt that.  I would think IF there is some coverup in place regarding this, the files would be under such strict control no one could ever hack in.
There could have been any number of text documents he could have seen.  It may be difficult for the authorities to determine exactly what was viewed.  I can well imagine that if he accessed a lot of PC's which had no passwords in place, some of the owners of those machines may well have realized it and erased his tracks to cover their own ass.
My point about the Wikileaks stuff, is that he could have viewed them (very likely) since they were released, and made up some very embellished tales that would put authorities in a nasty position.  McKinnon would have likely pulled all the stops to defend himself.
I bet every time he uses a computer for the rest of his life, big brother will be monitoring his every move.

One thing's for sure.  He won't be travelling to the USA anytime soon for a vacation!

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#98    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just for the record... every security software can be hacked. If you would want a fullproof software well... it would take years to fill and fix every hole in it...
Your browser in made with such ease and haste it has lots of security holes... That is something you learn when you study certain programming platforms...

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#99    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 16 December 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Just for the record... every security software can be hacked. If you would want a fullproof software well... it would take years to fill and fix every hole in it...
Your browser in made with such ease and haste it has lots of security holes... That is something you learn when you study certain programming platforms...
True.
There would be extreme measures of security that do work on computers containing such files.  You just don't have the computer hooked up to the internet.  That's what I mean.  You can't hack into that.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#100    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 16 December 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

There would be extreme measures of security that do work on computers containing such files.  You just don't have the computer hooked up to the internet.  That's what I mean.  You can't hack into that.

That would actually be one of the most unique securty measure, nice idea... i am in computers and all never thought about that one ^^.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#101    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postuprize, on 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

or

Frankly, if the US really had information as suggested here, it would not be on computers connected to the internet, but on computers not connected to the internet - that is how security is maintained. You don't have a bunch of top secret files of this caliber on what is essentially unsecured computers.

View Postsynchronomy, on 16 December 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

True.

Exactly, you preempted me :P

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited by badeskov, 16 December 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#102    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,316 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

That would actually be one of the most unique securty measure, nice idea... i am in computers and all never thought about that one ^^.

Uhhh.... that's called an intranet, as opposed to internet. Been around for years.
Some intranets, mostly high-level government top-secret stuff, have absolutely no connection to the internet.
When the officials do need internet access, they used different computers.

The ONLY way to get info off that is via thumb drive, stealing the hardrive/computer, etc...

#103    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 16 December 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Frankly, if the US really had information as suggested here, it would not be on computers connected to the internet, but on computers not connected to the internet - that is how security is maintained. You don't have a bunch of top secret files of this caliber on what is essentially unsecured computers.

The UFO records I was shown were definitely not on the Internet, but then no such thing existed back then.

I do not know what agency or organization is really in charge of them, but I can definitely tell you that someone is--or at least they were way back then.  They seemed to have the UFO records from many different agencies, including the FBI, CIA, DIA, the Army, and so on.  At least they had copies of them.

I have always thought that what I saw was part of the real UFO investigation, whatever it was really called, but we know from the record that it certainly existed at a very highly classified level.  All of those UFO records were certainly going SOMEWHERE, and it sure wasn't Blue Book.  LOL

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#104    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,316 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 16 December 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

The UFO records I was shown were definitely not on the Internet, but then no such thing existed back then.

I do not know what agency or organization is really in charge of them, but I can definitely tell you that someone is--or at least they were way back then.  They seemed to have the UFO records from many different agencies, including the FBI, CIA, DIA, the Army, and so on.  At least they had copies of them.

I have always thought that what I saw was part of the real UFO investigation, whatever it was really called, but we know from the record that it certainly existed at a very highly classified level.  All of those UFO records were certainly going SOMEWHERE, and it sure wasn't Blue Book.  LOL

Back some years I worked at an "elite" golf club for 20 years.
One of our members at that time was a retired FBI special agent.

Anyway, I took the time one day to gently ask him if he had ever seen or been made aware of anything really strange during his carreer regarding regarding ET UFO's or the paranormal.

He put on a big smile on his face and said "Yeah"
He did not elaborate, and I got the immediate impression that he did not want to elaborate. So, I did not ask him more, and he went off golfing.

Edited by pallidin, 16 December 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#105    Dredimus

Dredimus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 October 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

HI McGuffin

I understand why you might support him, but I do understand Information Technology rather well. I go back to the days when Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates eye and I was using UNIX systems.

And I still do. UNIX is as good as it gets IMHO.

What he says makes no sense at all, it is more than obvious that he is making his story up on the fly. In fact I guarantee he is making it up. There is not a chance in hell that he could have got to all the information he said he would, and not have hundreds of copies ready to save his backside. He claims to be a computer admin, and as such, he also knows that his information is not only easily backed up in a dozen countries, where no US official can touch him, and backups would exist by default, He could have told the press how to get the jump on those who caught him and tell them where to look in his records for it.

Sorry MacGuff, this bloke is absolutely full of it from every angle. He broke the law and picked a soft target to cover his backside for him. I am more sure of this case than any other. Not one thing he has said rings true from an IT perspective.

I have to agree with this... coming from some one who works within the realm of the government, especially on the security side of things. This story is full of holes on so many levels... When you sit down at a desk and are given a computer, that computer is leased to you. The first thing you have to do is register it on the domain by inputting a user name and password. Those leasing the machines are not given an option, especially on secure networks. Its not like these guys bring their personal computers in and are setup and ready to go. Any "classified" or "confidential" information is kept not on their computers but on servers...  you would have to gain access to their servers... which I can promise you are not left wide open. Even the most basic of government systems (ill use JPAS for this example, its a government server that houses the clearances levels and info on EVERYONE with a government issued security clearance). In order to log into JPAS you have always had to have an issued username and password that rotated from time to time... and those restrictions have gotten tighter... in order to log in now you have to have a certified PKI certificate.  So, like I said... full of holes..

Edit: heh, guess I should have checked the date on the posts... im still asleep me thinks...

Edited by Dredimus, 16 December 2012 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users