Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Siberian permafrost thaw warning

permafrost thaw siberia caves

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

"Release the mammoths!"

#32    Major Payne

Major Payne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Am I to understand from the original article that they have found the temperature needed to thaw the permafrost from the evidence of previous thawings?
i am also "assuming" that there was no runaway greenhouse effect in the previous thawings because i am "here" to write this post.
The question then arises if there has been no greenhouse effect how do they know one will happen this time.
They have put a lot of research into the thawing but I am not seeing much except speculation regarding "Runaway Greenhouse".

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.".....
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.".......quotes from Winston Churchill

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#33    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,543 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostMajor Payne, on 25 February 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

Am I to understand from the original article that they have found the temperature needed to thaw the permafrost from the evidence of previous thawings?
i am also "assuming" that there was no runaway greenhouse effect in the previous thawings because i am "here" to write this post.
The question then arises if there has been no greenhouse effect how do they know one will happen this time.
They have put a lot of research into the thawing but I am not seeing much except speculation regarding "Runaway Greenhouse".
Current conditions are somewhat unique in the last few million years.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#34    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

I don't know about runaway greenhouse effects; the point made above that it didn't happen with previous warmings is well taken, but as Cornelius says, things are different now (mainly because of human activity).

The danger is perhaps small, but the consequences horrendous.  The risk management formula therefore says, "Don't risk it."

Unfortunately we may have already risked it.  I would encourage research into ways of capturing green-house gases out of the atmosphere and what might end up being our only salvation.

#35    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Green house gasses are naturaly occuring and so is global warming.  We are just speeding up the prosses.

#36    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

One thing i know its caused is higher prices on auto repairs.   Soon cars will be like the 18wheelers.
Anything goes wrong it has to go to the dealer to be repaired. They wont run after you change a part untill you log into
The computer with the factory programs.

Also tagged with permafrost, thaw, siberia, caves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users