Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euthanasia: Moral vs. Immoral

Debate topic suggested by Blue-Scorpion.

Should an ill patient have the right to die, should he/she choose to do so? Or is human life too valuable for us to choose whether there is no other option?

We're looking for two people to debate this topic, in a formal 1 vs. 1 format. Both participants will each post one introductory post, five body posts and one conclusion.

Any questions, please PM me. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• about

I will gladly debate for it, although I do ask that if Im inactive for more than two days you PM me to remind me, because I remember when I completly forgot about the healthcare thingy.

Okay, it looks like we have our two participants for this debate.

Walken will be debating for euthanasia, and Galor will be debating against euthanasia.

Remember, this is a formal debate and requires from each of you and introduction, five body posts and a conclusion. Please state your sources of information, and personal attacks or flaming will not be permitted.

Again, PM me with any questions. Good luck! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Guest

Introduction.

Euthanasia is a subject that has been under debate for many decades, and although there are many arguements that the pratice of 'Mercy Killings' is Immoral, I am debateing what I beleive, that a persons life should always remain in their own hands, that they should be given the choice over their own life in the event of terminal illness, and that they should have the dignity and respect they deserve. Should a patient who has lost all powers of reasoning and who lives like a vegetable, totally hopeless and helpless, a terminal case who only wants to die, be forced to live? Is it really moral to keep someone alive and in pain, against their wish's? It is that which I'm debateing today.

Intro

There have been many cases where old and/or sick humans have decided that they want to die. But in a very lot of these cases they have changed there mind when the time is nearing to when they are going to commit suicide/euthanasia. So what incentive does that give that we shoudln't allow euthanasia? There have been cases where very sick patients have become so sick that they can't even talk. And then they want to change there minds. Some have been saved by writing/typing out that they don't want to diee, or using that weird computer thingy for disabled people that allows them to move the mouse of the screen with there eyes. But you get the point.

I, myself, in real life, am neutral on this subject. It's never really interested me. live and let live, I guess wink2.gif Maybe this debate will change my view....I hoe it does, i'm very neutral on alot of things tongue.gif

Main Body 1.

There have been many cases where old and/or sick humans have decided that they want to die. But in a very lot of these cases they have changed there mind when the time is nearing to when they are going to commit suicide/euthanasia.

It's true that many people have shown doubt shortly before they die by their own choice, however these doubts are no differnt than the doubts of either party before a wedding or birth. Death is the final step, the end of life, and, depending on what you beleive, the beggening of a new stage. People will obviously have doubts, however that does not mean that they no longer want the freedom they seek. Many of these people would, after confronting their fear, apply again, and finally take that last step.

Euthanasia is inducing the painless death of a person for reasons, which by popular oppinion, are merciful. Euthanasia can in actual fact, be traced as far back as to the ancient Greek and Roman times. It was sometimes allowed in these civilizations to help others die. Voluntary euthanasia was approved in these ancient societies. I'm not saying that that alone makes it just; In fact their are a lot of things these civillizations did which are unthinkable today, however this shows that it is not a new thing.

Euthanasia ultimatley allows a patient to know when the worst will come. This allows them to tie up all loose ends with their life, say goodbye to the loved ones who had stood by their side through terrible times. Without it, the patients loved ones would be clinging to the side of the patients bed, worrying about when the patient will die. Euthanasia brings down the stress and heart ache suffered by evreyone involved.

Yo, it's meh 1rst Body post!

There have been many cases where old and/or sick humans have decided that they want to die. But in a very lot of these cases they have changed there mind when the time is nearing to when they are going to commit suicide/euthanasia.

It's true that many people have shown doubt shortly before they die by their own choice, however these doubts are no differnt than the doubts of either party before a wedding or birth. Death is the final step, the end of life, and, depending on what you beleive, the beggening of a new stage. People will obviously have doubts, however that does not mean that they no longer want the freedom they seek. Many of these people would, after confronting their fear, apply again, and finally take that last step.

yes.gif

Euthanasia is inducing the painless death of a person for reasons, which by popular oppinion, are merciful. Euthanasia can in actual fact, be traced as far back as to the ancient Greek and Roman times. It was sometimes allowed in these civilizations to help others die. Voluntary euthanasia was approved in these ancient societies. I'm not saying that that alone makes it just; In fact their are a lot of things these civillizations did which are unthinkable today, however this shows that it is not a new thing.

yes.gif

Euthanasia ultimatley allows a patient to know when the worst will come. This allows them to tie up all loose ends with their life, say goodbye to the loved ones who had stood by their side through terrible times. Without it, the patients loved ones would be clinging to the side of the patients bed, worrying about when the patient will die. Euthanasia brings down the stress and heart ache suffered by evreyone involved.

yes.gif

Everything you've just said I, and most people, will agree with. But, theres one thing. The euthanasiaest's (yes, I made that word up tongue.gif) relatives and friends. Do they want him/her to die? Obviously, the euthanasiaest wants to die, and, if his relatives and/or friends really 'love' him/her, they will let them die. But think about this. Imagine, if someone very close to you, decided that they wanted to commit suicide, how would you feel. As the days drew nearer to when s/he would commit euthanasia, imagine the emotions you'd feel. And what about after they'd finally commited it? This'd be a memory you'd have to live for for the rest of your life.

I know that you're gonna argue something that its there choice. But think about this. I know this sounds really strange and weird, but in a way you could actually consider euthanasia selfish.

I know I'm doing really bad at this debate, but I'd never even heard of the word euthanasia before (I had to look it up in the dictionary tongue.gif) And it isn't really something alot of people discuss...uh...nvm tongue.gif...at least this is only an informal debate tongue.gif

But, theres one thing. The euthanasiaest's (yes, I made that word up ) relatives and friends. Do they want him/her to die?

In almost all cases, yes. When someone is so ill that they would considor Euthanasia, usually they're barely the person they once were. Pardon the expression, but they live like vegtables. They can barely, if ever, talk, move, even think. They have no control over their lives, other than their choice to die, and that choice is a birth right of evreybody.

I know this sounds really strange and weird, but in a way you could actually consider euthanasia selfish.

Suicide is very commonly interpreted as selfish. We are not talking about suicide, however. We are talking about Euthanasia, a last resort for people with no other direction to turn.

if someone very close to you, decided that they wanted to commit suicide, how would you feel. As the days drew nearer to when s/he would commit euthanasia, imagine the emotions you'd feel.

I would imagine that if someone was so ill they'd considor it, the family would be happy for them, no matter what they decide. If I was in so much pain that I wanted to die, I'm sure my family would understand. It sounds awlful, but they'd probably feel releived, and I wouldn't blame them. If you know when a patient will die, and that is something Euthanasia allows you to do, then you can prepare for that day. Without Euthanasia, a patient could be barely clinging to a single thread of life for years, until they unexpectedly die, a shock for evreyone involved.

I am really, really sorry, but I'm gonna have to resign sad.gif

Firstly, the first reason is that you can't justify not letting people have control over their life or not. If someone wants to die, and there in great pain, they should have the decision, nobody else,

Secondly, I'm in a tough position at school...theyve dumped so many project homeworks on me, and my test results are declining, I just can't take it.

Sorry about this... Since I was so over enthusiastic and hyper active in the first place. I hope to have a debate with you again walken, on another subject at some time original.gif And next time it'll be informal original.gif.

Uhh...that's if I ever come back on UM again ;( hopefully I will be able, but its doubtful. My life is getting very 'packed', and tightly as well, and I don't think I'll have time.

Again...sorry and goodbye!

Signing off (for quite possibly) the last time,

Galor

Tell me what ya think wink2.gif (My old motto wink2.gif)

Bye!

Oh, thats a shame. I was really doing well to! Oh well, I guess if you've gotta go you've gotta go. I would gladly shake hands with you Gallor, it twas fun. Good luck with your school work.

Do we still get scores or just W by default?

I suppose I will just go ahead and close this thread, since there obviously isn't enough material to judge.

Walken is winner by default.

Edited by Guest