Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unique Software Insight for Spacecraft

Waspie_Dwarf

Specialized Team Offers Unique Software Insight for Spacecraft

The new approach NASA is taking to get its crews to low-Earth orbit with commercial partnerships requires the space agency to closely examine the plans companies have for their own space transportation systems to ensure they are as safe and reliable as can be.

Reviewing software, for example, has become increasingly important in aerospace as technology has become more complex, and computers are required to take on more and more of the operation of systems. Simply put, computer programs can detect the need to make adjustments then execute those adjustments in a fraction of the time it would take a person to even turn his or her head to read an instrument. Software also can handle the mundane, everyday aspects of a spacecraft to free up astronauts and crew for unique tasks

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• keithisco

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What NASA is talking about is not new in any respects. They are referring to MISRA C which has 143 rules and also referring to DO178. These are both standard Commercial Standards for Passenger aircraft. In terms of firmware / hardware then what they are alluding to is DO254 which analyses all complex devices (eg FPGA) used . These are all standards that I refer to on a daily basis, as does any Software Safety Engineer in the world.

What NASA is talking about is not new in any respects.

Not new in the world of commercial aircraft maybe, but a whole new ball game in the world of spacecraft. Spaceflight has not been done this way before. Buying flights from a commercial provider (or two in this case)is a whole new way of doing things in terms of crewed space travel.

As to the rest of your post, I know it makes sense to you but it might as well be a different language me, I'll take your word on it.