Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#166    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Saru - you were only 18 or 19 years old when you created all of this - the UM community included..a place for others to learn, deate, be a part of an open community

Gosh as a teenager back then...to be able to come up with ALL of this...Imgaine if you were to get stuck into an on line community site - like facebook or twitter?  You'd be a billionaire...do you realise that?

Did it ever cross your mind what you could do?

For at just 18 I had no interest in computers...I used to fear it... even in my early 20's I feared going on line...it took me some years to get used to it...I know one thing - I wouldn't have had 1% of the talent at an early age to be able to create a world wide community site like this

What am I saying..I still can't :w00t:

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 February 2011 - 09:16 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#167    svenshoegazer

svenshoegazer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• Art Imitates Life and Life Imitates Art

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for making a forum for the Unexplained and just pure awesome Wierd stuff. You have truly made a place for those who want to know about the unknown and question as well while in this Moral Coil. Happy 10 years look forward to many more!!

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:

Edited by svenshoegazer, 28 February 2011 - 10:34 PM.

When I close my eyes does everything just go away? Or does the luster of your heart and soul see me, even though I may not be there?

#168    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,077 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

View Postslowfade, on 28 February 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?
Religion.

View Postsvenshoegazer, on 28 February 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:
Queen and Counting Crows.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

#169    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,996 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Becky's Mom said:

Imgaine if you were to get stuck into an on line community site - like facebook or twitter? You'd be a billionaire...do you realise that? Did it ever cross your mind what you could do?
Well I appreciate the vote of confidence but that is sort of like saying to someone who has had a book published that if they put their mind to it they could become the next J K Rowling; success like that cannot be replicated on demand, it is a very rare thing indeed.

slowfade said:

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?
Psychology.

#170    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,248 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

Congrats S man, a decade of dedication. Posted Image Inspiring!

Dunno how you mods do it, but ya's do an awesome job of keeping our community  comfortable, safe and informative!

Gotta love the UM family, my home away from home!Posted Image

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#171    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,042 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 28 February 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

Certainly. The news, vids/galleries, blogs, a lot of good stuff! :tu:  I just prefer the more interactive nature of the forums, it has a tendency to direct my learning and research as opposed to the random and chaotic way I do it on my own. ^_^
To go back a few posts, I have to admit when I first found UM, I spent about two weeks in the videos section. I was totally amazed at the vast number of videos available in it and the variety of subjects covered. I started telling my friends about them. In fact, I emailed quite a few to them. I spent about another 2-3 weeks reading through the forums after that and that's when I joined. I have to admit, it was some of that other good stuff that caught my eye and now I'm in the forums just about every day.  :)

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#172    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Titanic's Deck Swab

• 5,569 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

Congratulations also, to Saru and UM, and to all the members and other moderators. Unexplained-Mysteries couldn't maintain and attract new members to the thriving community, without the support and interest, discussion and goodwill of each and every member, so thank you for your continued politeness and civility and helping each other out, and working with and keeping the UM staff notified of any issues that need addresses - we're all members of the community, members and moderators and the Chief, and communication remains the top priority to keep things running. Great work everyone!

Re: questions:

Moderators and (especially) administrators get various accusations or "blame" leveled at them, and have a lot of responsibility, and some people have an erroneous idea of the staff having responsibilities that are beyond what is even doable, but that's the breaks of being someone in the role of an arbiter or mediator, so you don't, and really can't, dwell on the negatives, because there's just too much constantly going on to keep up with. And on a personal entertainment note, I'm fairly eclectic, so I've liked everything from Chicago to Britney Spears to Black Sabbath, Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd and Seven Mary Three and Weird Al Yankovic and They Might Be Giants, as well as Bruce Hornsby and Will Smith (shhhh).

Edited by Paranormalcy, 01 March 2011 - 02:13 AM.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#173    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,197 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

View PostParanormalcy, on 01 March 2011 - 02:06 AM, said:

And on a personal entertainment note, I'm fairly eclectic, so I've liked everything from Chicago to Britney Spears to Black Sabbath, Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd and Seven Mary Three and Weird Al Yankovic and They Might Be Giants, as well as Bruce Hornsby and Will Smith (shhhh).
Speaking of personal entertainment, I wish I had a link to that song you made up about that camel spider following you and checking out those tasty hams. That was too funny, thanks for the laugh.
I'll tell what I learned most from the forums here...  it forced me to learn how to spell  :lol:

I have a question for Saru, have you ever had the chance to check out any of the monoliths in Scotland? (I've heard tale Scotland has quite a few monolithic structures).  If so which one was your favorite and/or you found most intriguing?

Posted Image

#174    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

Thank you for having us, Saru! :)

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#175    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

To Saru: Has there ever been an incident (be it on UM or an outside personal issue/s) or time where you ever wanted to just wash your hands of UM? Being a mod or a member we can easily walk away but as the Admin., I'd imagine it's not so easy to just walk away from your baby. But has their ever been a day where you regretted it all?  

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?

My thanks in advance for your response.

SINcerely,
:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph, 01 March 2011 - 07:26 AM.

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#176    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

View PostDying Seraph, on 01 March 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?
For me joining the Mod team has given me the opportunity to put back some of what being here has given me. UM is my second home and I love it here.

Posted Image

#177    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,996 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Just a note to add that this is the last day the Q & A thread will be open as i'll be compiling it in to a front page article for posting up tomorrow - if you have a question to ask now's the time to do so.

Stardrive said:

I have a question for Saru, have you ever had the chance to check out any of the monoliths in Scotland? (I've heard tale Scotland has quite a few monolithic structures).  If so which one was your favorite and/or you found most intriguing?
Unfortunately no however it is something i'd like to do.

Dying Seraph said:

Has there ever been an incident (be it on UM or an outside personal issue/s) or time where you ever wanted to just wash your hands of UM? Being a mod or a member we can easily walk away but as the Admin., I'd imagine it's not so easy to just walk away from your baby. But has their ever been a day where you regretted it all?
While there are times when things can get on top of me i don't think i've ever felt that i wanted to just pack it in and call it a day.

#178    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Very Dear Sir..Saru .

My Questions :

The forum will be larger? adding more things to the forum? more sections?

Thank you :) .

Posted Image

#179    svenshoegazer

svenshoegazer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• Art Imitates Life and Life Imitates Art

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

So what are your favorite posts (or kind of post/Unexplained topic) on UM?

When I close my eyes does everything just go away? Or does the luster of your heart and soul see me, even though I may not be there?

#180    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,996 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

View PostPersia, on 01 March 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

The forum will be larger? adding more things to the forum? more sections?
Yes i'll be looking to continue expanding and improving upon the forum, i have quite a few ideas in mind.

svenshoegazer said:

So what are your favorite posts (or kind of post/Unexplained topic) on UM?
Probably the Cryptozoology, Myths and Legends and Ghosts, Hauntings & The Paranormal sections however i have an interest in most of the topics we cover, i'm also very interested in the latest science and space news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users