Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Response being sent to Wow! signal

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,090 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 27 June 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Put it on a CD? I hope they supplied a CD player to go with it ;)
Well, on Voyager they put it on a record (made of gold, I think), for which they did, I think, helpfully supply a stylus. Let's just hope that the aliens have gramophone technology.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#47    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Post747400, on 27 June 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Well, on Voyager they put it on a record (made of gold, I think), for which they did, I think, helpfully supply a stylus. Let's just hope that the aliens have gramophone technology.

I wonder which would be easier for a non terrestrial to get the content from, vinyl or a CD?

Personally I would go for a musical jewellery box type of device (can't remember what they are called) even though the sound range would be limited.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#48    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I would send a jack-in-the-box and scare the crap out of them.  Instant annihilation!

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#49    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Post747400, on 27 June 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I've heard people say we would communicate by the universal language of mathematics, like that plaque they put on the side of Voyager, or whichever one it was. They suppose that they'd be able to figure it out.

Or of course, the universal language of music. Didn't Damon Allbran write something specially that they stuck onto a CD taht they put on some probe a bit more recently?

Well our Main maths is Denary which is in Tens... It's thta way because we have 10 fingers. So if an Alien had 12 fingers he would have to figure that out as well. Then again i think they put the basic human aunotomy on the plaque, so maybe they will take note of the 10 fingers.

Yeah I did hear about that. Hope thye don't find the sound offensive. LOL

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#50    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

If aliens could build a 2.2 gigawatt transmitter then I don't think math would be much of a hurdle.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#51    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,731 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 27 June 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

If aliens could build a 2.2 gigawatt transmitter then I don't think math would be much of a hurdle.

I'm sure my mate has a stereo with that power in his Ford Focus ST ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#52    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 27 June 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I'm sure my mate has a stereo with that power in his Ford Focus ST ;)

:lol:  Maybe he could blast some Zeppelin at our alien friends then. That should get their attention.

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#53    Firefight

Firefight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• If at first you don't succeed...set another booby-trap and run like hell.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 26 June 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

If it was an advanced civilization, they would gain nothing from us. Might use us as pets (dibs on being a kitty), or a zoo. We can offer them nothing. Perhaps we could offer to trade universal knowledge and compare data. However, the likely hood that they're even remotely close to us is slim to none and this Wow noise is actually a natural noise..

I believe we do have things to offer. As guinea pigs. If they have something they need to experiment, give them a nice ripe american military volonteer in exchange for some small peice of tech such as self-sustaining plasma or an advanced metal and we hand over all the people they want. Then we threaten the world and create a world-wide peace. and finally we destroy all the puny aliens foolish enough to give us their tech!  :clap: :gun: :clap:

B)

#54    Firefight

Firefight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostCoffey, on 27 June 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Well our Main maths is Denary which is in Tens... It's thta way because we have 10 fingers. So if an Alien had 12 fingers he would have to figure that out as well. Then again i think they put the basic human aunotomy on the plaque, so maybe they will take note of the 10 fingers.

Yeah I did hear about that. Hope thye don't find the sound offensive. LOL

If an alien race had 12 fingers they would have started with a numerical base of 12 early off as they first learned mathmatics. thereby to decode the WOW transmission we would need to know how many fingers they had. if anyone is confused as to why this is, simply ask your neighbor.

Just thought i'd explain your logic to people who dont get it... :tu:

#55    Ell

Ell

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostSaru, on 26 June 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

A team from the National Geographic are working to respond to the famous 1977 transmission.
Bwoah. There is nothing there any more.

#56    Firefight

Firefight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostErix, on 26 June 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

A natural noise has to be created by something or that something would not exist

Perhaps it was not meant for us. perhaps it was for another advanced civilization somewhere near to us that miss fired. like a mortar meant for an enemy base that hits an insertion force. anti-climatic and useless. Additionally, why would a civilization send a signal that would take hundreds of thousands of millions of years to reach its destination? by the time it reaches the other place, both targeted civilizations are dead or dying.

#57    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Dirt Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 27 June 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

:lol:  Maybe he could blast some Zeppelin at our alien friends then. That should get their attention.

I thought I heard several recording are going out, or maybe that was some other goofy project.

If we want them to like us we should just beam "Ode to Joy" on a loop over and over and over. Who could conquer a planet that created such a masterpiece? If we want them to hate us anything off the Billboard Top 10 pop chart would have them locked and loaded before they pass the moon. And who could blame them?

#58    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostFramling, on 28 June 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

I thought I heard several recording are going out, or maybe that was some other goofy project.

If we want them to like us we should just beam "Ode to Joy" on a loop over and over and over. Who could conquer a planet that created such a masterpiece? If we want them to hate us anything off the Billboard Top 10 pop chart would have them locked and loaded before they pass the moon. And who could blame them?

Haha...totally agree. :lol:

We could always throw self preservation out the window and send them some Lady Gaga or some other such drivel. :whistle:

#59    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Oh ! twelve fingers ! How about a Alien with just the power to just say No ? No I dont believe in Aliens?
What if E.T`s think that theres no way that anything is out there? IT could happen.

This is a Work in Progress!

#60    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

i just put my real name #ChasingUFOs. Something nice and short. Mind as well have my name broadcasted to the entire Universe. It's a good way to "Live Forever", since if anything does receive the transmission i will be long dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users