Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big owie for Dems in SC

Merc14

i never thought I''d see Sanford beat anyone but he soundly defeated Colbert-Busch after te dems dumped a bunch of money on a short lived seat. I'll let Jim Geraghty of the Morning Jolt explain.

NatRev.jpg

Morning Jolt

. . . with Jim Geraghty

May 8, 2013

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed in kind words. Your praise may be coming soon to a Morning Jolt promotion or ad near you!

This Just In from South Carolina: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Hey, Democrats. You just spent a bundle and lost . . . to Mark Sanford.

The argument that we can't learn anything about 2014 from an individual special House race is generally true. But Alex Roarty of National Journal -- a.k.a., that insider, non-conservative publication that National Review is often mixed up with -- repeats my point from yesterday: Democrats put a lot of money and effort into this race, against a Republican candidate they thought was uniquely beatable. (And in fact, he was. But "uniquely beatable" doesn't always mean you will beat him.)

Now we see all of that Democratic spending gained nothing: $1.2 million in donations to Colbert Busch, more than $929,000 on independent expenditures against Sanford . . . FLUSH!

And there is a lesson for 2014: Mark Sanford managed to overcome the electorate's wariness about him by emphasizing that a vote for his opponent was a vote for Nancy Pelosi and the Obama agenda. Red-state and red-district Democrats have always had a tough balancing act, emphasizing how they're not like those other Democrats; Elizabeth Colbert Busch in the end just wasn't a talented enough candidate to pull that off. (In short, she wasn't that talented a candidate at all. "The Solyndra of the South," as Nathan Wurtzel summarized.)

Any remaining red-district Democrats really have to run hard from Pelosi from now until November 2014.

Moe Lane: "This should have gone to the Democrats; but, well, there's that pesky albatross. May Nancy Pelosi stay House Minority Leader, well, forever . . . If they can't win House seats in R districts under these circumstances, they won't win 'em under more even ones."

Betsy Woodruff was at the victory party:

There will be lots of analysis in the days to come about what this election means, but one thing isn't up for debate: Mark Sanford knows how to campaign, and his win here is due at least in part to his tireless canvassing and cheerful willingness to ask for the vote of anyone who would listen to him.

When he arrived at the victory party, Sanford was in full-on retail-politics mode. I followed the former governor on the campaign trail the day before the election and
about his perpetual handshaking and small-talking. Winning the election doesn't seem to have tempered his pace. When he arrives at the party, he laps around the front of the building (which, a server tells me, is more crowded than it's ever been), posing for pictures and hugging supporters.

Two things are different from the day before, though: First, he's wearing a suit instead of stained khakis and busted-up shoes, and actually looks like someone who might belong in the halls of the Capitol. And second, he's got his oldest son, Marshall, in tow. He looks around for his son every minute or two -- when he loses sight of him, he asks the nearest staffer, "Where'd Marshall go?" and whenever he gets a chance, he introduces the 20-year-old to supporters who haven't met him.

Mark Sanford's sister, Sarah Sanford Rauch, isn't far behind. She's one of his veteran campaign volunteers, and she's outspoken about her support for her embattled brother. I ask her how she feels.

"Exhausted," she tells me. "It's the toughest race I've ever been in. I've helped out on a bunch of races, but this is the toughest, by far."

"You wake up every morning and you look at the newspaper and you wait to see what anvil is getting dropped on your head each day," she adds.

Somebody else is feeling the headache this morning.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I love it when the "progressives" have their own outlook do them in. Normally when a dem gets himself in this kind of bind (Wiener) they rally round the flag and preach tolerance and forgiveness while crucifying a conservative who commits the same indiscretion - THIS time they got hoist on their own petard! BOOM! :w00t:

• Like 1

From what I know of Sanford the guy is a corrupt dirtbag. Why would anyone vote him back into office...or be happy that he won?

• Like 1

From what I know of Sanford the guy is a corrupt dirtbag. Why would anyone vote him back into office...or be happy that he won?

I don't care about Sanford, his problems or his career. If the citizens of his state decided to vote for him then it's no different than those who consistently vote for mossback lesions like Charlie Rangel or Maxine "no justice, no peace" Waters - even AFTER they've been convicted of ethics violations. My amusement is that the liberal ethos bit them in the butt for once.
  • Like 2

I'm wondering the same thing about Obama.

• Like 1

I agree. Why would anyone be happy that this creep is representing them.

Don't know and it is only until November 2014. What's important is that the dems spent a lot of money and all Sanford had to do was connect Colbert with Pelosi and he won handily.

Why was anyone happy about that creep Bill Clinton representing them?

• Like 1

Don't know and it is only until November 2014. What's important is that the dems spent a lot of money and all Sanford had to do was connect Colbert with Pelosi and he won handily.

I thought that was pretty funny. Doesn't look so good for the Democrats in the coming 2014 elections if you ask me...

I thought that was pretty funny. Doesn't look so good for the Democrats in the coming 2014 elections if you ask me...

One would hope. Sanford was an easy target and she got a lot of donations from out of state and noe of it mattered. NC is red state so not sure how much this means but always nice to see dem money squandered.

• Like 1

Ah politics, it's not good enough that 'your guy' wins....Only that 'the other guy' loses.

And we wonder why the American public hates the whole system.

Why was anyone happy about that creep Bill Clinton representing them?

I just must not get it I guess. There are bad apples in both parties. We need to do all we can to get rid off any and all of them.

Stop the : us versus them way of thinking and recognize a scumbag for who they are.

( And yes. I was happy to get rid of that creep Bill Clinton too )

• Like 2

I just must not get it I guess. There are bad apples in both parties. We need to do all we can to get rid off any and all of them.

Stop the : us versus them way of thinking and recognize a scumbag for who they are.

( And yes. I was happy to get rid of that creep Bill Clinton too )

My point was that not everyone thinks that just because you cheat on your spouse that you can't be good at anything. Now maybe they wouldn't want you to marry their sister, but they still think you would make a good governor/president/plumber/lawyer/whatever.

So you see no "us v them" because I'm not a "us" or a "them". I'm just a me.

• Like 1

His ex-wife turning him in for wanting to be with his kid’s right before the election actually helped him. That could have been strategic on his part, and if it was, it was genius, because it destroyed her credibility firstly as a Mom. A scorned woman has little sympathy when she doesn't look out for her kids, first.

The national party turning its back on Sanford actually helped him with independent voters, I suspect, because it distanced him from the unforgiving pariah they've become.

I just hope he regrets the foolish decision to turn down federal stimulus money in a Depression, because that infuriated me. My first thought when the scandal hit, was .... good riddance.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

Just wait until Obamacare hits with a vengeance in 2014. The Dems should just write off 2014 now and save all of their time and energy for Hillary in 2016 and hope against hope that the coming Obamacare disaster isn't successfully linked to her - or that Bhengazi doesn't blow up any further.

I'm sure there are Republican strategists just salivating over the idea of making a TV ad with her screaming "What Difference does it Make" overlaid on footage of the consulate attack.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

Just wait until Obamacare hits with a vengeance in 2014. The Dems should just write off 2014 now and save all of their time and energy for Hillary in 2016 and hope against hope that the coming Obamacare disaster isn't successfully linked to her - or that Bhengazi doesn't blow up any further.

I'm sure there are Republican strategists just salivating over the idea of making a TV ad with her screaming "What Difference does it Make" overlaid on footage of the consulate attack.

Look, I'm a Independent. I haven't voted for a mainstream candidate (Democrat or Republican) in the past 3 elections. But, I can see disaster looming for the Democrats if they don't wise up fast. They need to repeal Obamacare, and stop with the gun control and immigration reform. People are getting fed up. They want them to focus on the economy and on jobs. Not on this other stuff.

Just observing....

That is why they are so desperate to get another 11 million voters on the rolls before then.

• Like 1

I just hope he regrets the foolish decision to turn down federal stimulus money in a Depression, because that infuriated me. My first thought when the scandal hit, was .... good riddance.

Sanford on the unemployment increases which were part of the stimulus:

I mean, to be eligible for some of the unemployment funds, for instance, we would for the first time have to expand unemployment benefits in South Carolina to people who are part-time workers. Now that's kind of a problem, one, because we've never done it before. But two, because that same group just went to the feds asking for $140 million loan and then followed it with a $170 million loan.

So in many cases, these are real Catch-22s when you look under the hood at the way the system would work.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...SqqqBPyW

He's right, of course.

Stimulus money sweeps through a state then goes away, leaving the state to deal with what to do when the money is gone.

Would you want to be the Governor when the state has to go back to not paying unemployment to part-time workers?

The way I understand it, Obamacare works in much the same way. Three years of Federal payments for the expansion of medicaid, then that money is gone. The state is left with having to deal with they changes in their local system they agreed to (out of greed and an eye on the bottom line) in order to get those three years of "free" money.

It's not as clear-cut as many make it out to be. Stimulus money had to be spent in certain ways. Ways that may not be in the long-term interest of the State, though it's not really even long-term. It's slightly more than short-term.

Harte

• Like 1

Look, I'm a Independent. I haven't voted for a mainstream candidate (Democrat or Republican) in the past 3 elections. But, I can see disaster looming for the Democrats if they don't wise up fast. They need to repeal Obamacare, and stop with the gun control and immigration reform. People are getting fed up. They want them to focus on the economy and on jobs. Not on this other stuff.

Just observing....

I agree Kowalski

I think Stephen Colbert is simply a bully and even though Sanford was one of the worst choices I'm glad he won this one.