Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Myths busted, hoaxes exposed.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

We could just ask Saru to pin this one.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#17    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Here is another good site exposing the crap in this field.

The Museum of Hoaxes. http://www.museumofh...gory/paranormal

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#18    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostDBunker, on 18 April 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

I liked this site until it lost its focus and started including confirmed events that just happen to be fun.

#19    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Postscowl, on 18 April 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

I liked this site until it lost its focus and started including confirmed events that just happen to be fun.

Like what exactly?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#20    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Amazing fake Ghost Photos! http://www.ghoststud...ake_ghosts.html

Phantoms or fakes. http://www.psychics..../ghostpictures/

#21    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostHazzard, on 20 April 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Thats nice, hazzard.... but....

Those sites arent even half as popular as these..... :P

http://www.enterprisemission.com/

http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Why is that you think?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#22    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostCodenwarra, on 15 April 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Regarding the faked UFO picture, the compiler of the page says,

" And if a UFO photo contains a real car, people can enlarge and improve the picture and adjust it until they can read the vehicle's license plate. When you track down the driver of this car, who was driving to church on a Sunday morning, you find there was no UFO in the sky at the time."

The problem with this is that in Queensland, as in other Australian states, the owners of cars cannot be identified from the registration (licence) plate by the general public.  Police can do it, and very quickly, but unless you know a cop who is willing to bend the rules or you happen to know the car, you can't do it.

Not saying the photo is real of course.
I have access to http://www.ppsr.gov.au :devil:

Posted Image

#23    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostDBunker, on 20 April 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Thats nice, hazzard.... but....

Those sites arent even half as popular as these..... :P

http://www.enterprisemission.com/

http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Why is that you think?

In sci-fi/fantasy the possibilities are endless,...

Posted Image

and Im guessing that the money is better.

Posted Image

Edited by Hazzard, 21 April 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#24    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostRafterman, on 15 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trying to drive traffic to a Young Earth Creationist website?

That was the vibe I got too..., not to mention that I think the idea that the world is only 6,000 years old is completely absurd... If the world is only 6,000 years old, then why can we see the light from stars hundreds of thousand of "light years"(the measure of distance light can travel in a year) away?...

#25    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostMidyin, on 22 April 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

That was the vibe I got too..., not to mention that I think the idea that the world is only 6,000 years old is completely absurd... If the world is only 6,000 years old, then why can we see the light from stars hundreds of thousand of "light years"(the measure of distance light can travel in a year) away?...

If the Earth were young, it would imply that All XX century physics is very wrong.

We have no clue about why chemistry works, and all modern biology is wrong, we dont really understand modern medicine, or Paleontology? Nope, all wrong. Geology? Back to the XIX century as well.

http://skeptics.stac...-6000-years-old

But try telling this to the Y.E crowd,... :lol:

#26    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostHazzard, on 22 April 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

If the Earth were young, it would imply that All XX century physics is very wrong.

We have no clue about why chemistry works, and all modern biology is wrong, we dont really understand modern medicine, or Paleontology? Nope, all wrong. Geology? Back to the XIX century as well.

http://skeptics.stac...-6000-years-old

But try telling this to the Y.E crowd,... :lol:

This guy is doing his part  http://www.richarddawkins.net/  would you like to know more? (Starship Troopers) ;)

Check him out on youtube. :tu:

#27    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Well it seems like quite a few liked the idea to have some sort of 'confirmed hoaxes and fakes'-thread! What say you guys, should be try to do this? Perhaps we could contact a mod or something?

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#28    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostHazzard, on 16 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Thats what I was thinking,... slinging the creationists BS was by no means the intent.

View Postdanbell06, on 16 April 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Thats a great idea! Who would we have to ask about this? Theres no stickies on any of the boards on here that i am aware of.

View PostWatchingTheStars, on 18 April 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

I actually kind of like this idea. So new members who come here and want to talk about something that's already been debunked/proven to be fake can be directed there. I just wonder how we would organize it.

To the subject of hoaxes and fakes, there are quite a few out there. The Surgeon's Photograph of Nessie is supposed to be a fake. There's also the hippo swallows a dwarf hoax or something like that.

I thought I'd reply to y'all at once ^^ I for one think Hazzard could "transform" the OP and add every hoax and fake that we post here, like the surgeon's photo and the Gable Footage. What do you think about that idea? And if some one's curious about a cryptid, or a footage or a pic they could come here and ask if it's a fake.

#29    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I for one are in favor of a thread like that,... Exposing all the nonsense, if for nothing else than to see whats left, if anything at all. :)

#30    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostHazzard, on 28 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I for one are in favor of a thread like that,... Exposing all the nonsense, if for nothing else than to see whats left, if anything at all. :)

Well we better compile some sort of data base then :) can we contact a mod or something about making this a sticky? Or perhaps we should gather a few known hoaxes first to get started?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users