Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep paralysis

frikishh

For years now, I have periodically experienced sleep paralysis.

In the beginning it was horrifying, but now I've learned how to "control" it.

I googled it after it after a few years, and found out that the correct term for my bedtime horror experiences was in fact sleep paralysis, more accurate, RISP (recurrent isolated sleep paralysis).

It starts off with me going to sleep, and while drifting off into REM sleep, I can sense that my SP is happening.

I see the room exactly like I saw it before I closed my eyes to sleep, but I know that I am unable to move or speak.

In the beginning I heard harsh scary sounds, and it later evolved into shadows too, which I interpreted as dark evil spirits flying around me.

I knew that I was experiencing SP, and sometimes I would actually be able to cry out or wake up, but if I managed to wake up, I would have to get up from bed and walk around. If I stayed in bed, my eyelids would weigh so much and I would drift right back to where I ended in a matter of seconds.

After years I spoke to my triplet sisters, who confirmed that they also have had these experiences.

My younger sister, with two minutes, told me that she could actually control it, make it not so scary, by being aware of the prosess happening, and by doing that - either make it stop, or make it not so uncomfortable.

I tried this, and it does actually help.

The strange part now is, that when it happens (which btw is very less frequent than before) it isn't scary at all, I actually enjoy it.

It may sound strange and embarrassing, but whenever it happens now, it is in a sexual manner rather than a scary incubus manner.

I know that I am having a SP experience, but it is litterally feeling as if I am having sex with a spirit/being in the room....

Is this normal, has anyone experienced anything like this?

Not necessarily the sexual part of the story, but that you're able to control what is happening, and by doing that, either making it into what you want it to be, or stopping it completely?

I've also read that SP can sometimes be connected to Astral Projection, but I can't say that I've experienced any of that, even though I would actually like to.

• Like 1

When I wake up paralyzed, I just wait a few seconds and it goes away. It's natures way of keeping you from harming yourself while you are asleep.

When I wake up paralyzed, I just wait a few seconds and it goes away. It's natures way of keeping you from harming yourself while you are asleep.

It's not that I wake up paralyzed, I am paralyzed while I am sleeping.

My body enters the REM sleep, but my mind is still awake and aware, so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

It's not that I wake up paralyzed, I am paralyzed while I am sleeping.

My body enters the REM sleep, but my mind is still awake and aware, so to speak.

http://en.wikipedia....Sleep_paralysis

That's a new one: I suspect you are awake enough to be aware you are paralyzed and being entirely too gee-whizz and wooish about it.

I googled it after it after a few years, and found out that the correct term for my bedtime horror experiences was in fact sleep paralysis, more accurate, RISP (recurrent isolated sleep paralysis).

It starts off with me going to sleep, and while drifting off into REM sleep, I can sense that my SP is happening.

I see the room exactly like I saw it before I closed my eyes to sleep, but I know that I am unable to move or speak.

In the beginning I heard harsh scary sounds, and it later evolved into shadows too, which I interpreted as dark evil spirits flying around me.

I knew that I was experiencing SP, and sometimes I would actually be able to cry out or wake up, but if I managed to wake up, I would have to get up from bed and walk around. If I stayed in bed, my eyelids would weigh so much and I would drift right back to where I ended in a matter of seconds.

After years I spoke to my triplet sisters, who confirmed that they also have had these experiences.

My younger sister, with two minutes, told me that she could actually control it, make it not so scary, by being aware of the prosess happening, and by doing that - either make it stop, or make it not so uncomfortable.

The strange part now is, that when it happens (which btw is very less frequent than before) it isn't scary at all, I actually enjoy it.

It may sound strange and embarrassing, but whenever it happens now, it is in a sexual manner rather than a scary incubus manner.

I know that I am having a SP experience, but it is litterally feeling as if I am having sex with a spirit/being in the room....

Not necessarily the sexual part of the story, but that you're able to control what is happening, and by doing that, either making it into what you want it to be, or stopping it completely?

I've also read that SP can sometimes be connected to Astral Projection, but I can't say that I've experienced any of that, even though I would actually like to.

You ate not alone. Good job overcoming it. Yes you can create OBEs from this state. :)

• Like 1

It only happened to me after staying with my daughter for a month and she described it to me as she was going through it.

After that I began experiencing Sleep Paralysis myself.

I did sense another entity and suspected it had something to do with it but I fought it and it went away.

It happened again a few months later after I again thought about it but after this scary experience I began to suspect something else was happening and so let the next one happen and welcomed the entity..who as it turned out, was non other than a beautiful woman, though I couldn't see her as such, only a shadowy form.

But I felt her lie down next to me and before I knew it I was returning to my own universe in some type of vehicle that had the classic outlines of a futuristic looking but uncluttered UFO form.

The woman I could now see and being in love with her, reached out but smiled as she gently avoided my touch and reach, laughing musically before I found my self waking up.

How ever, the last time it happened, I became very angry and aggressively fought off a malignant feeling 'being' and happily settled back into sleep.

I think I can now distinguish between friend and foe easily but it did bring to mind another experience from 20 odd years ago where I actually saw some one lying on my sofa whom I knew to be my Dad but I feared him enough to go over and punch him or it.

After years of thought and research I believe the fear was the result of recognizing unlimited power from my Dad figure and so I was never bothered by such visitations again.

Unlimited power compared to puny Human awake power, the mark of a predator who may or may not prey on you but it was my Dad.

It only happened to me after staying with my daughter for a month and she described it to me as she was going through it.

After that I began experiencing Sleep Paralysis myself.

I did sense another entity and suspected it had something to do with it but I fought it and it went away.

It happened again a few months later after I again thought about it but after this scary experience I began to suspect something else was happening and so let the next one happen and welcomed the entity..who as it turned out, was non other than a beautiful woman, though I couldn't see her as such, only a shadowy form.

But I felt her lie down next to me and before I knew it I was returning to my own universe in some type of vehicle that had the classic outlines of a futuristic looking but uncluttered UFO form.

The woman I could now see and being in love with her, reached out but smiled as she gently avoided my touch and reach, laughing musically before I found my self waking up.

How ever, the last time it happened, I became very angry and aggressively fought off a malignant feeling 'being' and happily settled back into sleep.

I think I can now distinguish between friend and foe easily but it did bring to mind another experience from 20 odd years ago where I actually saw some one lying on my sofa whom I knew to be my Dad but I feared him enough to go over and punch him or it.

After years of thought and research I believe the fear was the result of recognizing unlimited power from my Dad figure and so I was never bothered by such visitations again.

Unlimited power compared to puny Human awake power, the mark of a predator who may or may not prey on you but it was my Dad.

So you think this is caused by some external malignant being trying to occupy your body or what?

Not at all, simply making observations...

Odd thing with the first experience though, I felt and saw figures in Purply redish robes, hoody's and all to and an impression that a great wrong was done to them in the area where my daughter lived but I could only make out their legs as the robes ended at or around knee level.

Some how the impression was of Giants...

My observations and current conclusion is that the Fear these 'entites evoke in me was simply the enormouse power inherent in their manifestation or in my interpretation of the dream state..

I find it difficult to understand how you could have arrived at such a conclusion, perhaps its the syntax I employ but then again, english is not my native tongue...so to speak....

• Like 1

Fact is almost every time I wake up during the night I am paralyzed, and this has been the case all my life. I don't see it as anything noteworthy, and it always goes away in a second or so.

Fact is almost every time I wake up during the night I am paralyzed, and this has been the case all my life. I don't see it as anything noteworthy, and it always goes away in a second or so.

I am not sure you understand what is described. A paralysis when you wake up, I have also had this, but Sleep Paralysis seems to be somthing entirely different from what you describe that you have everytime you wake up. What I am describing here is my body being put to REM sleep, but not my mind - and therefore being "somewhere in between" sleep and awake. Having sleep paralysis often makes you hallucinate and feel that there are entities/spirits/demons in the room with you, and because of that, it can be truly terrifying. Is this what you have experienced also?

I have had this, but never had someone describe it as you have. I've tried to research it, only to come up with the theory of "false awakenings". I occasionaly will be dreaming of something very real and natural in my life. After a short period of time I realize something is not quite right about my surroundings. I wake up startled and afraid. Only to find out that I am still sleeping and yet in another dream. Each time I always have the feeling that it is not me that is creating this problem. My thinking is that is because of the feeling of fear, but I have dismissed it as being an entity or spririt, because we have all had nightmares. Right? This may happen several times until I finally wake up to what is actual real life.

There is a difference between false awakenings, sleep paralysis, and hypnagogic imagery.

Sleep paralysis is simply a mechanism so that you do not act out dreams. Unfortunately when your mind wakes up and this mechanism has not ceased yet, you can indeed have powerful hypnagogic images occur superimposed upon you real environment.

False awakenings is when you wake up but are not really awake, you are simply waking into another dream.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not at all, simply making observations...

Odd thing with the first experience though, I felt and saw figures in Purply redish robes, hoody's and all to and an impression that a great wrong was done to them in the area where my daughter lived but I could only make out their legs as the robes ended at or around knee level.

Some how the impression was of Giants...

My observations and current conclusion is that the Fear these 'entites evoke in me was simply the enormouse power inherent in their manifestation or in my interpretation of the dream state..

I find it difficult to understand how you could have arrived at such a conclusion, perhaps its the syntax I employ but then again, english is not my native tongue...so to speak....

I've had something like this happen to me about 10 years ago. This was one of the first times I experienced SP. A person I knew in "awake life" entered the room - or more like, she was just there - floating in the air wearing robes that floated around her, as if she was under water. She didn't say anything, she was simply there. The next day I learned (and this is no joke) that she had in fact comitted suicide. I can't recall if the suicide had happened the night of my SP experience, or a few days before - but that was very emotional for me. This wasn't a person I was very attached to either, so I found it weird I should see her.

• Like 1

I have had this, but never had someone describe it as you have. I've tried to research it, only to come up with the theory of "false awakenings". I occasionaly will be dreaming of something very real and natural in my life. After a short period of time I realize something is not quite right about my surroundings. I wake up startled and afraid. Only to find out that I am still sleeping and yet in another dream. Each time I always have the feeling that it is not me that is creating this problem. My thinking is that is because of the feeling of fear, but I have dismissed it as being an entity or spririt, because we have all had nightmares. Right? This may happen several times until I finally wake up to what is actual real life.

wow, i've never heard of that. To experience "awakening" and then finding yourself in yet another dream..

That's very interesting to me!

Yes, I've had that, but I don't believe it is sleep paralysis. We have seen the shadow beings while awake.

Yes, I've had that, but I don't believe it is sleep paralysis. We have seen the shadow beings while awake.

And that is why I shouldn't be on this page at 3:30 AM..

• 2 weeks later...

The dark ones have not returned for some time. It seems I have scared them off. In a way, I almost miss their visits. So it goes...

As for the sexual encounters, yes, I have had them as well. What they mean, I cannot say. The entities are distinctly different from the lucid dream constructs I manipulate. They are something more. It unsettles me to ponder their possible intentions.

The dark ones have not returned for some time. It seems I have scared them off. In a way, I almost miss their visits. So it goes...

As for the sexual encounters, yes, I have had them as well. What they mean, I cannot say. The entities are distinctly different from the lucid dream constructs I manipulate. They are something more. It unsettles me to ponder their possible intentions.

And you have the perfect attitude to keep them at bay.