Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Executions at all time high in Iran

OverSword

From the article:

The Islamic Republic hit the highest rate of executing people since 1989. The official number indicates that Iran executed nearly two times more people in 2015 in comparison to 2010 when the hardline president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was in office, as well as roughly 10 times more than the number of executions in 2005.

Approximately 1000 people were executed in 2015, according to the latest report from the United Nations investigator, Ahmed Shaheed, the special rapporteur for human rights in Iran. The unofficial number is higher.

The peak of the executions in 2015 was between April and June in which nearly 4 people were executed every day on average. Most of the executions were carried out in prisons located in urban areas such as Ghezel Hesar and Rajai Shahr in Karaj, and Adel Abad in Shiraz.

Iran has surpassed China in the number of executions being carried out per capita. Most of the executions in Iran are being done by hanging. In addition to the alarming increase in executions, fundamental rights of Iranians and ethnic and religious minorities appear to have regressed in 2015 as well. In addition, this year witnessed the highest level of disqualification of political candidates, 61 percent, since the establishment of the Islamic Republic, 1979.

Who and Which Groups are Being Mainly Targeted

Read the rest here

And this with a "moderate" in charge? Shows just how "in charge" he is I guess. Sure it's a ghastly grin he has...

Huffington Post is rubbish.

In Iran asoif 2012 Iran stopped the execution of under 18's. Before then teenager offenders as young as 13 were given death sentences but took into consideration their crimes and health. Most never carried out.

Look at Saudi Arabia, mates of the West, who execute people and kids publically for "crimes" including witchcraft and adultery.

Edited by Bloodflower
  • Like 2

In Iran asoif 2012 Iran stopped the execution of under 18's. Before then teenager offenders as young as 13 were given death sentences but took into consideration their crimes and health. Most never carried out.

Look at Saudi Arabia, mates of the West, who execute people and kids publically for "crimes" including witchcraft and adultery.

The whole system is just savage. God help those poor people who suffer under it.

ETA to clarify, ANY Sharia based legal system is what I'm speaking to. A 7th century, almost unbending legal code imposed on a modern society has no moral standing. It is just an expression of power, capriciously applied, little or no mercy there. The idea of dismembering or killing people for offenses against the "prophet" is a crime against all humanity in my opinion.

Edited by and then

So that makes Iran a better country? Because it doesn't kill kids?

• Like 1

The whole system is just savage. God help those poor people who suffer under it.

ETA to clarify, ANY Sharia based legal system is what I'm speaking to. A 7th century, almost unbending legal code imposed on a modern society has no moral standing. It is just an expression of power, capriciously applied, little or no mercy there. The idea of dismembering or killing people for offenses against the "prophet" is a crime against all humanity in my opinion.

North Korea also has a high execution rate and it doesn't have a Sharia. I personally think that Sharia Law doesn't make sense in a modern, secular society and that there is obviously something wrong with Iran's penal code but at least they aren't running around chopping heads or blowing themselves up in other countries.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

North Korea also has a high execution rate and it doesn't have a Sharia. I personally think that Sharia Law doesn't make sense in a modern, secular society and that there is obviously something wrong with Iran's penal code but at least they aren't running around chopping heads or blowing themselves up in other countries.

Only because they can PAY others to do it for them - as they have for decades now.

Only because they can PAY others to do it for them - as they have for decades now.

Groups like ISIS and al-qaeda (those actually chopping heads and blowing themselves up) are wahhabists and have nothing to do with Iran's main religious idoelogy. Terhan proxy in the Middle-East is Hezbollah and while they are listed as terrorist organization by some countries, they clearly aren't as bad.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

Hezbollah's existence is more political than theocratic, as it was born out of the resistance against the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon rather than a general call to war for Muslims. It does incorporate some theocratic elements to it but for the most part, refrains from being openly religious, I guess in part due to the rather fragmented and fragile demographics that Lebanon has.

So that makes Iran a better country? Because it doesn't kill kids?

I never said it was a better country.