Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why is homophobia commonplace?

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#46    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 27 February 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

I don't agree with the "gay gene" suggestion. How would a gay gene be passed on to off spring when it prevents, or at least reduces the chance of having, offspring?  It would be the evolutionary equivilant of a genetic mutation that makes your head explode and therefor would be an evolutionary "dead-end".

Im going to go crazy with my suggestion here.

Evloution is now taking a new step, never seen before - as humans have become intelligent, and can make babys out of a lab - I can only see that having babys the old school way (sex) is not the only way to have a population growth.

Therefore having 'sexes' will in the furture become pointless.....

Soooo really its not an evolutionary dead-end - we have just evolved...

Crazy theroy to add to the pot here...

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 28 February 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Posted Image

#47    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

View Postealdwita, on 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

The meaning of the term 'homophobia' (A fear or loathing of homosexuality) has been deliberately blurred to include those who merely disapprove of homosexuality, in a deliberate attempt to shame the latter into abandoning their disapproval. (Discredit the person to discredit their argument).

I don't hate or fear homosexuals - I don't disapprove of them as persons -  I do however, dislike this constant "Look at me me me - I'm a victim" mentality and the clamour for preferential treatment that is constantly being shoved in our faces via the media etc.

(And if that makes me a 'd-bag' because I have an opinion that differs from those more 'trendy' than I, then so be it).

This multiplied by 10,000. "Homophobia" is overused as much as "racism" is. It's a cheap and easy way to silence critics who neither fear nor hate gay people. It's ironic that it's used to unfairly slur large groups of individuals with varying points of view.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#48    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 27 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

On an earlier note: watching men make-out (whether with each other or with a female partner) makes my skin crawl because men don't have particularly attractive facial features or jaws. But I'm not going to tell people what they can and cannot do. I'd just prefer it not be done in public.
I think fear is underneath your revulsion here.

The Buddha identified three sources of suffering  The most common is desire, which when unsatisfied causes frustration and when satisfied causes fear of loss.  The second most common is revulsion, as we suffer when we can't avoid things that revolt us.  (The third is delusion, but that isn't pertinent here).

It may be that the revulsion you experience when seeing two men kiss is minor and you can ignore it, but if it really bothers you, you should overcome it, as it is you who suffers, not the men kissing, and it is quite irrational.  There is nothing in their act that should effect you in the slightest.

#49    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

I don't think the "gay gene" is evolving for population control.  In fact I don't think there is a "gay gene."  There is probably a genetic component to homosexuality, but it is far more likely a combined effect of many genes plus other effects as the fetus is developing and who knows what else.

Homosexuals have always existed, and not just among human beings.  To me that is evidence that the behavior plays some role in enhancing survival (maybe of the group rather than the individual) that we don't understand (since it is pretty obvious that actual homosexuals don't contribute genes to the next generation at nearly the same rate as do heterosexuals).

#50    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• Ultra alpha male here.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 27 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

... men don't have particularly attractive facial features or jaws.
:rofl:

John 14:16
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

#51    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 28 February 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

I think fear is underneath your revulsion here.

The Buddha identified three sources of suffering  The most common is desire, which when unsatisfied causes frustration and when satisfied causes fear of loss.  The second most common is revulsion, as we suffer when we can't avoid things that revolt us.  (The third is delusion, but that isn't pertinent here).

It may be that the revulsion you experience when seeing two men kiss is minor and you can ignore it, but if it really bothers you, you should overcome it, as it is you who suffers, not the men kissing, and it is quite irrational.  There is nothing in their act that should effect you in the slightest.

I'm not afraid of them or the way they're shaped.

I just have a lot of quirks about textures and shapes. Cheese Graters also squick me out, as do most things with maze-like grooves. Like sponges. Or toast where the butter is a little too thick and some cinnamon sticks to the butter mound.

I'm not afraid of anything. I'm just weird.

Posted Image

#52    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

My wife certainly would have thought that funny.

#53    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 28 February 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

I'm not afraid of them or the way they're shaped.

I just have a lot of quirks about textures and shapes. Cheese Graters also squick me out, as do most things with maze-like grooves. Like sponges. Or toast where the butter is a little too thick and some cinnamon sticks to the butter mound.

I'm not afraid of anything. I'm just weird.
I am probably wrong then in thinking the revulsion stems from fear.  Wherever it comes from, I trust you see that it is not rational and that the only one suffering from it is yourself.

Most of the time our revulsions are natural -- such as the revulsion to feces or to the smell of death.  These are evolved to protect us, but they do sometimes get in the way of our doing things that are necessary, and so should be overcome as much as possible.

A revulsion to two men sexually involved is probably something similar, and not unlike the revulsion homosexual men sometimes express to the idea of their being with a woman.

#54    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Well, all I can offer, is that as a very young male, I was raped by 2 other males.

Very unpleasent for me. So, I do have a bias.

#55    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,968 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

No one should be offended by two people kissing each other, no matter the 'make up'.

I am of the opinion however that when they start 'locking tounges' in a public place, they should 'get a room'.

#56    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 28 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

No one should be offended by two people kissing each other, no matter the 'make up'.

I am of the opinion however that when they start 'locking tounges' in a public place, they should 'get a room'.
This goes for everyone, though, not only gays.

#57    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 28 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

This is basically my stance.

Like I said, I don't care what people do or what their orientation is. I'd just rather not see it.

Posted Image

#58    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,968 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

View Postpallidin, on 28 February 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Very unpleasent for me. So, I do have a bias.

Jeez, I'm sorry to learn that. :(

#59    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,968 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 28 February 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

This goes for everyone, though, not only gays.

Most definately, it's simply impolite.

#60    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 28 February 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Jeez, I'm sorry to learn that. :(

Thanks. Yeah, it really messed-up my teen years with girls. (I felt so ashamed, inside, telling no-one, and thus being very shy around girls)

I am happy to say that the second person was arrested and is in prison for multiple minor-child rapes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users