Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discovered - Mysterious Disc on Baltic Seabed

suziwong

No doubt I am one that jumped to that conclusion.

it's a huge "disk", it has what appears to be a structure inside like a living structure for humans (halls rooms)

It is likely too old to have been man made.

I'm running out of options.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

Hmm. I dunno. The "room like structures" are apparently those squarish shapes on it's surface? I've seen some of the sonar images of it and part of that could be explained in that sonar images are taken in bands and then compiled to form an image. This banding effect, combined with the grooves marking it's surface could combine in one's imagination to appear as "rooms".

I've also seen one of the later images, unfortunately a close up with no sense of scale provided, and it appears to be much smoother.

As it is shaped more like a mushroom (not just a disc) other people have suggested that it's a 'laccolith'. I'm going with that (or the Millenium Falcon).

P.S.: Doesn't one of those explorer guys have a tape measure? It's gone from 60 to 180 feet in diameter and back again. This is probably just numerous errors from the media not converting metres to feet, of course, but for crying out loud, just how big IS the darn thing?!

P.S.: Doesn't one of those explorer guys have a tape measure? It's gone from 60 to 180 feet in diameter and back again. This is probably just numerous errors from the media not converting metres to feet, of course, but for crying out loud, just how big IS the darn thing?!

No, it was and still is 60 meters, or 180 feet in diameter.

Hmmmm, I just read an article that diminishes this whole disc thing it's credibility.

Apparantly the company that's doing the "exploration" wants to make it some form of an expensive attraction to dive to where the disc is.

So.........this is probably just a big hype to make money, too bad.

The observations about there being 90 degree angles; features like passageways and rooms seem to be based on what the divers saw, not on the sonar image from last year. The list of possible explanations for this object *is* getting rather short. Those based on ancient human activity seem to disregard the fact that the area has been, alternately, under water or kilometers of ice for hundreds of thousands of years. Dennis Aasberg reports in a recent statement that they have shown their findings to geologists, but these experts can offer no explanation.

Edited by bison

I suspect that when they get close to an answer of what it is, the news about it will just disappear. There was a story in the Bellingham Herald, Bellingham Washington, the summer of 1982, (or maybe 1983) Something had crashed or landed in Bellingham Bay. They sent divers from a salvage company down to see what it was. The story was in the paper about two days. One of the days the paper said a diver was standing on it and he said, "My God, it's a UFO". I kept watching the paper for more of the story, but there was nothing. Then after a few days, the paper said the salvage company was having internal problems and discontinued The salvage operation. (Yeah, Right) I would suspect the govt. stopped the operation and listed it as top secret.

Odie :alien:

Hmmmm, I just read an article that diminishes this whole disc thing it's credibility.

Apparantly the company that's doing the "exploration" wants to make it some form of an expensive attraction to dive to where the disc is.

So.........this is probably just a big hype to make money, too bad.

I'm starting to think the same. Dammit.

As it turns out, the new study of the object was partly financed by Dennis Aasberg and Peter Lindberg, who went substantially into debt to do so. These are commercial salvage divers, not scientists with full funding. I see nothing wrong in their hoping to profit enough from this venture pay back their loans, and enough besides to compensate them for the time taken away from their usual business of reclaiming valuables from sunken sea wrecks.

*****The Swedish newspaper Expressen reports that the Ocean Explorer team will begin a new survey of the object on Monday, July 9th. The expedition is expected to last 10 to 12 days. They hope to break off a sample of the material of the object, which was impossible before, because of its hardness. They also intend to probe the interior of the odd rounded hole that appears to extend into the object. They will attempt to use the 'Blue View' three dimensional sonar equipment to secure clearer images of the entire object.

Edited by bison

They should start selling these pictures:

As new details of the structure emerge German artist Hauke Vagt has been continually refining his depictions of the anomaly - here is the latest one complete with the steps or "staircase". http://truthfall.com/

(btw: I did some color corrections for the photo as seen on the website)

Baltic_Anomaly.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

To get an idea of the dimensions, I enlarged the part with the divers:

Baltic_Anomaly2.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

To get an idea of the dimensions, I enlarged the part with the divers:

Baltic_Anomaly2.jpg

great piece of art,and i think they are selling copy's, the problem is that the artist has too keep addapting and changing as more information is released, who knows what the final version will be.

this graphic shows the scale of the thing though, what is for certain is that the 8 steps where not steps as they each have a drop of a metre each, unless giants really did live amongst us :unsure2:

As they are back at the site now lets hope we get some definitive answers this time and not this drip drip effect, although lindburgh says they already know more but can't reveal all because of the contract with the swedish tv company.

very informative artical at http://truthfall.com/ it clears up some of the misinformation surrounding this subject

If that thing really looks like that artist depicted it, then the navy, the military and god knows who will be all over it.

Btw, this is the artist's website:

http://vaghauk.deviantart.com/gallery/

Lindburgh said that although no military or gov agency's have contacted them that at last dive the swedish navy turned and observed them even though they was miles away from swedish water's, maybe they where getting a fix on the objects location to go back after the team left.

I've never liked an artists interpretation of something he hasn't seen. It puts the wrong idea in peoples heads.

I've never liked an artists interpretation of something he hasn't seen. It puts the wrong idea in peoples heads.

as i said above the artist is working on what he knows at the time and maybe a bit of artistic licence i dont know, doesn't stop us all wondering.

Then again we all know what jesus looked like hey?

Lindburgh said that although no military or gov agency's have contacted them that at last dive the swedish navy turned and observed them even though they was miles away from swedish water's, maybe they where getting a fix on the objects location to go back after the team left.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, it would fuel imagination like crazy if this is actually something. Although, I am completely expecting it to be nothing but a rock or something natural.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, it would fuel imagination like crazy if this is actually something. Although, I am completely expecting it to be nothing but a rock or something natural.

i keep an open mind, its not often we can comment on an actual ongoing discovery like this, of course we have the pyramids and the likes of gobekle tepi, but taking aside the ufo stuff that i believe it is not, if it is a man made structure,when would it of been above water? they are there as we type and even for the most sceptical it must be more interesting than say someone filming a light in the sky, this thing is not going anywhere ......

It's based on photos and on the descriptions given by the divers: http://truthfall.com/ and they gave many detailed dimensions.

If you or anyone else is able to come up with another drawing or painting, I'd like to see it.

And if this is not some elaborate hoax (I still have serious doubts), and if it is indeed a manmade structure, it may be one of the greatests archeological discoveries in many decades.

Edited by Abramelin

The problem with this thing is of course the timeline.

If it is indeed manmade, than that part of he Baltic must have been dry land.

When did that happen? Must have been long before 14,000 BP, as you can see on these maps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridanos_(geology)

This is the map with the location of the anomaly:

Baltic-anomaly-location.jpg

That means that even as far back as 14,000 BP it would have been near the edge of the ice sheet. Not a very likely place to build something; the location was either covered in ice, or under the sea.

So when was that branch of the Baltic really above sea level?

Then we must go back a lot further in time.

According to geologists there was originally a huge river flowing through what was later to become the Baltic, but that was millions of years ago.

If you read this Wiki, the geological river called Eridanos was at its largest around 1 million years ago:

http://en.wikipedia....idanos_(geology)

That would pose some serious problems for it being manmade, I'd say.

This is the map of that river:

Baltic-Eridanos.jpg

As you can see, the anomaly is located near that river, to the west of it, and close to those islands (Åland) which must have been hills or mountains during Eridanos' time.

Edited by Abramelin

It's based on photos and on the descriptions given by the divers: http://truthfall.com/ and they gave many detailed dimensions.

If you or anyone else is able to come up with another drawing or painting, I'd like to see it.

And if this is not some elaborate hoax (I still have serious doubts), and if it is indeed a manmade structure, it may be one of the greatests archeological discoveries in many decades.

I didn't say I could do better. These artistic interpretations are almost always sensationalized.

I didn't say I could do better. These artistic interpretations are almost always sensationalized.

But did you read the descriptions on the site I linked to?

Thanks, Abramelin, for that information. The repeated actions of glaciers seems to have both destroyed the source of this river and substantially widened and deepened the valley into something resembling the Gulf of Bothnia, by 700 thousand years ago. This gulf would then have been filled alternately, with either mile thick ice, or glacial melt water, and sometimes sea water, too. It doesn't seem that any building would have been going on there. Supposing a human culture that could build a 200 foot wide complex of stones, over 700 thousand years ago is quite a reach. Finding something like that would be about as revolutionary to human knowledge as the discovery of a fossilized extraterrestrial spacecraft.

Edited by bison

I very seriously doubt that the object is a man-made structure. The problem with the idea is this: The Gulf of Bothnia, where the object is located, is the result a river valley being enlarged and eroded by repeated glacial movement. This has apparently been going on for about the last two and a half million years. It seems that when the area wasn't under a mile of ice, it was flooded with the melt water of the glaciers, and sometimes sea water, too. Opportunities for building anything in the midst of this seem lacking.

What I said was: the Bothnic was a river valley once according to geologists, but that was a million of years ago (and much earlier). And if I understand it correctly, then back then it was not yet covered in ice, but still way too far back to be a manmade structure. It was also not covered by water, it was an area through which that river flowed and just east of the anomaly. The Åland Archipelago must have been mountains located to the west of that river.

My idea is that it is a huge rock sitting on another type of rock. The movement of the ice sheets carved it almost perfectly round. The rock below that thing is maybe softer and got eroded faster, making the whole thing look like it sits on a huge pillar:

Boulder.png

All that would make it not necessarily much older than say 20,000 years or something. but a natural structure anyway.

Edited by Abramelin

Thanks, Abramelin, for that information. The repeated actions of glaciers seems to have both destroyed the source of this river and substantially widened and deepened the valley into something resembling the Gulf of Bothnia, by 700 thousand years ago. This gulf would then have been filled alternately, with either mile thick ice, or glacial melt water, and sometimes sea water, too. It doesn't seem that any building would have been going on there. Supposing a human culture that could build a 200 foot wide complex of stones, over 700 thousand years ago is quite a reach. Finding something like that would be about as revolutionary to human knowledge as the discovery of a fossilized extraterrestrial spacecraft.

Heh, that's some serious editing you did there.

But I agree with what you said.