Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Unbelief, the world’s third-largest religion

unbelief atheists agnostics

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#46    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,131 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 27 December 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Whether God is real or not, to say that one uses that belief only for themselves is a narrow minded statement in and of itself. I'm sure there are many believers who truly do their works for their God, regardless of his existance.
That's nice to believe, but back in reality the carrot and the stick approach is used by many missionary and evangelical services.

Come on, how do you convince someone to believe in your deity if your deity has done nothing for them?
Although it sounds selfish, it has always been about self benefit.

Edited by Rlyeh, 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#47    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 27 December 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

That is what Lion is trying to say about atheists.

I don't deny that. I'm simply responding to Rleyh's statement.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#48    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Ryleh, personally mate no offence but your inept at understanding philosophical arguments, arguing with you is arguing with a wall. Does not matter how many shelves with books you place on it, the wall still don't learn anything!

It's very simple

Religious person = serves god and god is at centre of his existence. He lives to serve god and his cause etc etc depending of what religious background they come from.

Non religious person = has a belief that there is no god, so removes god from the centre of his existence. Naturally and logically you replace it with yourself, not nothing! You then serve and exist to serve yourself.

Simples!

#49    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 27 December 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

That's nice to believe, but back in reality the carrot and the stick approach is used by many missionary and evangelical services.

If you wish to discuss things and debate with me I will. If you wish to simply belittle one another then please take it up with someone else.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#50    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,131 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

Ryleh, personally mate no offence but your inept at understanding philosophical arguments, arguing with you is arguing with a wall. Does not matter how many shelves with books you place on it, the wall still don't learn anything!
Someone lied to you, your "philosophical arguments" are nothing more than baseless assertions.

#51    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 27 December 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Someone lied to you, your "philosophical arguments" are nothing more than baseless assertions.
Oh, and your's aren't? Then please, enlighten me.

Posted Image

#52    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,131 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 27 December 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Oh, and your's aren't? Then please, enlighten me.
I've already given examples. Lion6969's "when i was an atheist..." doesn't quite cut it.

Religious conversion focuses on self interest.

Edited by Rlyeh, 27 December 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#53    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Lmao!!!

It's abundantly clear religion man serves god, god central to his life.

Non religious man serves no god but himself, at the centre of his life.

So what is the problem it's logical that if your religious you serve a greater authority, if not you serve yourself as the great authority.

So don't kid yourself.

Ryleh I don't need people to tell me if I'm philosophically capable, I know I am, the reason you are not is NLT because I say so, it's illustrated by knowledge. You don't get or know philosophy hence why you don't fully comprehend atheism......it was easier for you to jump on the band wagon!

#54    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,131 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

Ryleh I don't need people to tell me if I'm philosophically capable, I know I am, the reason you are not is NLT because I say so, it's illustrated by knowledge. You don't get or know philosophy hence why you don't fully comprehend atheism......it was easier for you to jump on the band wagon!
That's a good one. It's so clear in fact you repeatedly fail to support your premise. Keep banging on about how much you know.

#55    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Lol Ryleh, I'm waiting for you an havoc to tell me who you serve if not yourself your own desires and whims?

#56    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,131 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Lol Ryleh, I'm waiting for you an havoc to tell me who you serve if not yourself your own desires and whims?
Typical. Do you even remember what my argument was? Everyone serves themselves to an extent.

#57    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 27 December 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

Typical. Do you even remember what my argument was? Everyone serves themselves to an extent.

Religious people serve god hence why their called devout believers.

Non religious people serve themselves. You claim everyone serves themselves, well that's wrong cause devout religious people serve god, ie priests, practising devotees of any faith. Atheists serve themselves I'm not knocking either that's their choice!

#59    Diablo Blanco

Diablo Blanco

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• People will invent all kinds of solutions to what is not explained.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 27 December 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

That's nice to believe, but back in reality the carrot and the stick approach

The proverbial dangling of the carrot....that's hilarious, nice post! :lol:

I see my savior every morning, in my mirror. My mind is my Temple.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullsh!t. ~ Richard Pryor

#60    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 27 December 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users