Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amanda Knox & Raffaele Sollecito re-trial

Moon Gazer

well obviously the Italians don't do "double jeopardy".

• Like 1

Hard to say if the U.S. will extradite her or not. We have a treaty, but that case proven again and again how bad the forensics for the case were done. Even when she was arrested and sent to prison, they said she tested positive for HIV(whether from faulty test or from a lie) to get a list of past sex partners to then leak to the media to be used as "evidence"(slander) against her.

• Like 3

I'm trying to understand why the Italians are so hell-bent on putting this girl behind bars.

• Like 6

I'm trying to understand why the Italians are so hell-bent on putting this girl behind bars.

That's what I would like to know, as well.

• Like 1

There is NO WAY in hell the US will extradite her. Never. I rather hope Sollecito gets the hell out of Dodge before they can put that poor boy through all that again. The Italian courts are a damn joke.

• Like 3

The Italian prosecutor is flat crazy, a huge egomaniac, and has a terrible record of totally botching cases and putting the wrong people in jail.

• Like 2

If I was her I wouldn't leave the country. She was released by an Italian judge. She isa scape goat for sure.

• Like 2

If she won't leave though they'll just say that proves she's hiding something, and that if she was innocent she'd face the trial...

• Like 1

If she won't leave though they'll just say that proves she's hiding something, and that if she was innocent she'd face the trial...

If she went back to Italy then she'd deserve what ever they decided to do to her. It's ridiculous. I feel badly for the young woman who was murdered. She does deserve justice but I don't think it CAN be arrived at in Italy at this point.
  • Like 1

If she went back to Italy then she'd deserve what ever they decided to do to her. It's ridiculous. I feel badly for the young woman who was murdered. She does deserve justice but I don't think it CAN be arrived at in Italy at this point.

Whatever happened, it's icky that she's making money from a book about the tragedy of Meredith's death. Very bad taste.

• Like 1

Whatever happened, it's icky that she's making money from a book about the tragedy of Meredith's death. Very bad taste.

I don't really think her intention in writing the book is to make money. Knox has been villified by the Italian press, and by Meredith's family, and I think this is her way of getting her story out there.

• Like 3

It's probably politically driven. It's win/win for them. If she get's extradited then they can flaunt how they "forced" the U.S.A. to send one of their citizens over for their judgement. If she doesn't get extradited they can use it as a way to gain points from those who dislike the U.S.A.

• Like 1

I don't really think her intention in writing the book is to make money. Knox has been villified by the Italian press, and by Meredith's family, and I think this is her way of getting her story out there.

I never said it was her intention, but as it stands she's making $4 million out of this murder, whether she did it or not. Doesn't look too good if all you want is to get your story out there.

Edited by Queen in the North
  • Like 1

I never said it was her intention, but as it stands she's making $4 million out of this murder, whether she did it or not. Doesn't look too good if all you want is to get your story out there.

Honestly, if my career was delayed(since she can continue her education now, not sure if she is) and possibly ruined(from the reputation she has)before it even got started by being thrown in jail for 4 years and all the bad media, I wouldn't pass on making some money out of it.

• Like 8

Whole thing is pointless. The US see all their citizens innocent of everything abroad, hence why you always hear 'you can't do this I am an American'. She is out, earning millions and will escape any further trials.

The re-trial is unrealistic.

The extradition figures came up between the UK and the USA. In the last 3 years 14 people had been extradited to America to face charges. 0 people have been extradited from the USA to face charges in the UK from more than 30 applications. Says it all really.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 3

She and her family have over 4 million in legal and travel costs. They're in debt well beyond their means. It's near impossible to dig yourself out of that kind of debt. She is innocent and she has every right to tell her story and be paid for it. It's not like she can start a civil suit for the slander and defamation they perpetrated against HER. Yes, Meredith was the victim, but so is Knox.

• Like 3

She and her family have over 4 million in legal and travel costs. They're in debt well beyond their means. It's near impossible to dig yourself out of that kind of debt. She is innocent and she has every right to tell her story and be paid for it. It's not like she can start a civil suit for the slander and defamation they perpetrated against HER. Yes, Meredith was the victim, but so is Knox.

I rest my case.

BOTH trials said to have serious flaws in them, yet you know for sure she is innocent?

Is it like America knows everyone held without trial in guantanamo bay is guilty?

Edited by skookum
  • Like 1

I rest my case.

BOTH trials said to have serious flaws in them, yet you know for sure she is innocent?

Is it like America knows everyone held without trial in guantanamo bay is guilty?

Duh, of course she's innocent. She's American, and all countries who try jailing Americans are still living in the middle ages and have no idea what they're doing...

/sarcasm.

• Like 2

Whole thing is pointless. The US see all their citizens innocent of everything abroad, hence why you always hear 'you can't do this I am an American'. She is out, earning millions and will escape any further trials.

The re-trial is unrealistic.

The extradition figures came up between the UK and the USA. In the last 3 years 14 people had been extradited to America to face charges. 0 people have been extradited from the USA to face charges in the UK from more than 30 applications. Says it all really.

The real reason is because the US won't extradite in this case is because they won't extradite when it's breaking constitutional law. In this case, the constitutional law that's being broken is double-jepordy. No way will the US extradite her because of that.

If you can't touch a US citizen (which is BS) she never would have served a day... Even if the Italian courts judge her to be 100% guilty, they wouldn't send her back, because she was acquitted! Acquitted is acquitted in constitutional law.... you can't try someone for the same crime twice! Just ask OJ Simpson! She won't get sent back to Italy just so they can violate her constitutional rights. It's just not going to happen.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

If you can't touch a US citizen (which is BS) she never would have served a day... Even if the Italian courts judge her to be 100% guilty, they wouldn't send her back, because she was acquitted! Acquitted is acquitted in constitutional law.... you can't try someone for the same crime twice! Just ask OJ Simpson!

So what happens (generally, not this case) if new evidence comes to light which is definite proof that the person did commit the crime?

• Like 1

So what happens (generally, not this case) if new evidence comes to light which is definite proof that the person did commit the crime?

Again, look at OJ Simpson... it doesn't matter. Yes, OJ is in jail now, but that was for a totally diffrent crime. Everyone knows OJ was guilty (as was Casey Anthony) but they can NEVER be tried ever again for murder of those people. Ever. They could come right out and say "I did this, this is how I did it, and I'm glad I did it" and there would be nothing anyone could do. OJ has more or less admitted he did it (after he lost the civil case).

What can happen, is that someone could be sued in a civil court for the same crime, and OJ was... he was found guilty in civil court and forced to pay damages to the victims families, but no jail time of course because civil court isn't criminal court).

Technically, Amanda Knox, were she guilty, which I don't believe for a second she was... could theortically say "Yes I did it!" here in Seattle... everyone would be shocked, and we STILL wouldn't send her back to Italy or even arrest her here! It's clearly written into the constitution that you cannot be retried for the same crime after you were acquitted once already.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

Wait to her film comes out.

Let me guess. Poor little middle class girl who travels the world on the American dream and meets a manipulative Italian, along with lovely friends. The murder happens and they become falsely convicted. They will get sent to prisons that will be portrayed as more like the Burma railway or a Nazi death camp. She will be a victim of various kinds of abuse and will contemplate suicide on many occasions. In her desperation she is forced to learn the Italian language to survive. She is only allowed very limited outside contact. Then her loving parents sell everything to find a lawyer who who will initially say the the chances of getting out are very slim. They will discredit the victim and family and show what a nasty corrupt justice system exists in Europe and win by American ingenuity. She returns to America a broken wreck with some small scenes of her hugging her family but remaining a broken person for the rest of her life.

This will undoutably be a Sunday afternoon film. The re-trial request will be written at the end in white letters on a black screen before the credits.

Edited by skookum
  • Like 2

I'm suspecting it's because they think she's guilty?

• Like 3

Again, look at OJ Simpson... it doesn't matter. Yes, OJ is in jail now, but that was for a totally diffrent crime. Everyone knows OJ was guilty (as was Casey Anthony) but they can NEVER be tried ever again for murder of those people. Ever. They could come right out and say "I did this, this is how I did it, and I'm glad I did it" and there would be nothing anyone could do. OJ has more or less admitted he did it (after he lost the civil case).

What can happen, is that someone could be sued in a civil court for the same crime, and OJ was... he was found guilty in civil court and forced to pay damages to the victims families, but no jail time of course because civil court isn't criminal court).

Technically, Amanda Knox, were she guilty, which I don't believe for a second she was... could theortically say "Yes I did it!" here in Seattle... everyone would be shocked, and we STILL wouldn't send her back to Italy or even arrest her here! It's clearly written into the constitution that you cannot be retried for the same crime after you were acquitted once already.

The OJ Simpson case was a bit before my time... having a read up about it now. Obviously I've heard of him, but never knew about the case in any great detail.

Yeah... we got rid of that rule a few years ago. It doesn't make much sense to me. I get that if you are found innocent they can't just say "Oh, well we're sure you did it, let's have another trial until you are found guilty", but when significant new evidence (like DNA) comes to light -- or when someone admits it after the trial, though no one will do that here seeing as we no longer have the double jeopardy rule -- it seems (to me, at least) that it should be re-visited.

ETA: If they admit they did it later, can't they then be tried in the criminal courts for perjury?

Edited by Queen in the North