Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Ancient Aliens

aliens ancient

• Please log in to reply
1867 replies to this topic

#16    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostAndami, on 31 August 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

I love Ancient Aliens. The "theories" (aka sci fi movie plots) are interesting. You just need to take the show as a piece of entertainment, not education. As far as information goes, AA is total bunk, and most things they present as fact are not even close to true, but it's fun to watch, nonetheless. Think of it as professional wrestling. You might have started watching it believing whole heartedly that it's true, but as you get older, it becomes painfully obvious that what you are watching is fake. Shouldn't matter, though. Most entertainment is fake anyway.
Don't like wrestling either

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Wrestling is fake?!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

TV wrestling is America's other original art form.

#19    Karyotype

Karyotype

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 August 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Why not, unless he starts reepeating himself he is almost as good as Monty Python :devil:

hmmnnnn...... reading posts from Zoser with Monty Python's spam song in the background?  Works for me! :tu:

"Democracy is two wolves deciding what to eat for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Thomas Jefferson-

#20    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostDKO, on 31 August 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

The opposite for me. That show makes my blood boil lol. I would be up all night if that came on while I was falling asleep.
I watch it with the sound off, if I watch it at all anymore.  Hilarity ensues as I make up dialogue and voice-overs.

Great cinematography on some parts though.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#21    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostHarte, on 01 September 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

I watch it with the sound off, if I watch it at all anymore.  Hilarity ensues as I make up dialogue and voice-overs.

Harte

my son watches it, but only because of that giorgio guy with the weird hair, he says either the aliens gave him an anal probe or his hair thinks he is so silly it is trying to leap off his scalp...

sometimes the hair doesn't do enough though, my son who is 27 was watching the AA puma punku one and i was trying to sleep and i heard her yell at the tv.. 'you stupid lying prick, it is not made of some of the hardest substance on earth, IT IS RED SANDSTONE!!'

so i guess the hair only draws your attention for so long

Edited by willowdreams, 01 September 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Posted Image

#22    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,565 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

best part of that show and the reason I really enjoy it is because they show the actual artifacts and what they are talking about. As far as there beliefs im not sure. But again, the ancient artifacts and old civilizations are awesome

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#23    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 01 September 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

best part of that show and the reason I really enjoy it is because they show the actual artifacts and what they are talking about. As far as there beliefs im not sure. But again, the ancient artifacts and old civilizations are awesome

they do show the artifacts, i just wish they would not LIE about them.. they show the figures.. stones.. wonderful close ups, gloriously so, but then they tell bold faced lies about them that the average person does not realize is a lie.. and the average person does not go online where things are easily researched and find the truth..

I think that is the sad part.. intentional lies.. and they are intentional because the lies are obvious to anyone who spent more then 5 min on research, and if they did not spend at least some time in researching them, they should not be making shows about them implying facts.

Posted Image

#24    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostHarte, on 01 September 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

Harte

If the show was sped up and the Benny Hill theme song was played over the top, then it might be alright. Haha

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#25    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,529 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

View Postwillowdreams, on 01 September 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

they do show the artifacts, i just wish they would not LIE about them.. they show the figures.. stones.. wonderful close ups, gloriously so, but then they tell bold faced lies about them that the average person does not realize is a lie.. and the average person does not go online where things are easily researched and find the truth..

I think that is the sad part.. intentional lies.. and they are intentional because the lies are obvious to anyone who spent more then 5 min on research, and if they did not spend at least some time in researching them, they should not be making shows about them implying facts.

I am in agreement, although I'll add that if they're showing fascinating artifacts but are lying through their teeth about the artifacts, the show is worthless from start to finish. What's the point of showing interesting things if they're presented in a blatantly fraudulent manner? The answer is simple: ratings. The dimwits who appear on Ancient Aliens don't care a whit about honesty or integrity—or about contributing to our knowledge base on ancient civilizations. They care only about ratings so they can be more famous and, for some of them, so they can sell more of their witless books.

As other shave voiced, the worst part is the gullible and naive adults who watch this flotsam and cannot exercise critical thinking, because many of them invariably end up believing Ancient Aliens is factual. I have met such people in the Egyptian exhibit where I work as a docent. They'll ask me if think the Egyptians had "help" when they made pyramids and such, the word "help" of course meaning aliens. They saw it on TV, right? So it must be true. I will honestly and flatly state no, they did not have "help." More often than not as they walk away I can hear them saying, "Well, I think they had help."

For the most part the History Channel has become a vortex of stupidity and vapidity. It is nearly entirely devoid of academic merit. Much the same is true for the Discovery Channel and other cable networks that were once of high quality. (Remember when TLC actually used to be about learning? I do.)

It's quite sad. That's why I stick to networks like PBS and the BBC for documentaries, and shows like NOVA. They still offer quality.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#26    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 02 September 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

I am in agreement, although I'll add that if they're showing fascinating artifacts but are lying through their teeth about the artifacts, the show is worthless from start to finish. What's the point of showing interesting things if they're presented in a blatantly fraudulent manner? The answer is simple: ratings. The dimwits who appear on Ancient Aliens don't care a whit about honesty or integrity—or about contributing to our knowledge base on ancient civilizations. They care only about ratings so they can be more famous and, for some of them, so they can sell more of their witless books.

As other shave voiced, the worst part is the gullible and naive adults who watch this flotsam and cannot exercise critical thinking, because many of them invariably end up believing Ancient Aliens is factual. I have met such people in the Egyptian exhibit where I work as a docent. They'll ask me if think the Egyptians had "help" when they made pyramids and such, the word "help" of course meaning aliens. They saw it on TV, right? So it must be true. I will honestly and flatly state no, they did not have "help." More often than not as they walk away I can hear them saying, "Well, I think they had help."

For the most part the History Channel has become a vortex of stupidity and vapidity. It is nearly entirely devoid of academic merit. Much the same is true for the Discovery Channel and other cable networks that were once of high quality. (Remember when TLC actually used to be about learning? I do.)

It's quite sad. That's why I stick to networks like PBS and the BBC for documentaries, and shows like NOVA. They still offer quality.

Nods, ancient aliens takes 'opening your minds' to a whole new level..  and like i said, it is the after effect of the show that bothers me... it takes factual history/science 10 steps backwards for those people who buy into the shows teachings, and those people raise their kids to believe it.. and so forth and so forth..

I would like to say 'only hicksville rednecks' will buy into it, but truth be told *I* am a redneck raised out in hicksville, and most of us have enough dirt sense to know better.

I find myself spending more time watching youtube, i love listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson, I listen to Carl Sagab (want wait to see the new cosmos), Brian Cox, Michio Kaku (hope i spelled it right) and yes Bill Nye! and others.

When watching tv, I will usually watch simple shows now, like Big Bang Theory (funny), and BBC (i am so addicted to Doctor Who! And naturally I love pbs, and I do watch science channels and discovery, I am selective though.. very selective.

My son likes to sometimes say 'ok, I want a night of becoming dumb for a while', then he turns it to History CHannel and sometimes Animal Planet channel (they put the hauntings and other shows on that channel)

Edited by willowdreams, 02 September 2013 - 06:37 AM.

Posted Image

#27    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

View Postwillowdreams, on 02 September 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Nods, ancient aliens takes 'opening your minds' to a whole new level..  and like i said, it is the after effect of the show that bothers me... it takes factual history/science 10 steps backwards for those people who buy into the shows teachings, and those people raise their kids to believe it.. and so forth and so forth..

I would like to say 'only hicksville rednecks' will buy into it, but truth be told *I* am a redneck raised out in hicksville, and most of us have enough dirt sense to know better.
As one "Hicksville redneck" to another I have to agree with the points you make. The fact that it is on something called "The History Channel" would seem to lend legitemacy to these things making it easier for some to be deceived. I think if they are going to show these things they should change their name

#28    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

There are other shows that make one feel dumb just watching them.. I do not remember the names of them all, but one of them had 'sheepsquatch' on it, my daughter laughed so hard she almost hurt herself!

And there was this big foot show, we do not go into the big foot belief thing, but O M G, this family from texas is hunting for bigfoot.. not to prove he exists by capturing alive and showing him off.. but to KILL him, they claim it is to protect the big foot species... they are going to kill him to help the rest of his people

*winces*

Ancient Aliens are just one group of pple who dumb down those who watch it, but sometimes it feels good to watch dumb..

Posted Image

#29    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 02 September 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

As one "Hicksville redneck" to another I have to agree with the points you make. The fact that it is on something called "The History Channel" would seem to lend legitemacy to these things making it easier for some to be deceived. I think if they are going to show these things they should change their name

You know, I was raised in the Mountains of West Virginia, literally.. we lived on the side of a mountain.. winter time we had to tie ropes from tree to tree, sink in fencing posts.. and tie knotted ropes so that when I walked to school, I could use the ropes to get up the side of the hill till I was home, I could use a sled to go down the side when going DOWN..  my grandmother who raised me would take the sled back up when she came down to get the mail (she refused to ride it going down, insisting that she would not be able to stop at the bottom before you got into the creek and she did not want to fall into a half frozen creek

I once asked her if she believed in UFO's and Aliens and she said bluntly, 'what do they want to come here for? to mine coal with the rest of the men?', then she went back to peeling vegies for our stew, and she tossed me a few extra tators and turnips and told me to peel and cut up some extras in case they do exist, she wants to make sure we have enough stew to go round..

As crazy as we rednecks could be (and believe me.. we are nutters.. heck we had a still in the back yard as well as a marijuana patch.. ) we all seem to have this down to earth blunt attitude.. and so when i see those shows that show us redneck woods pple talking of sheepsquatch and all, i keep thinking that after the film crew leaves the redneck hillbillies in the show go to their kitchens our out by the wood pile and laugh their heads off at how they spread another tall tale we passed off as the gospel.. since we cant fool ourselves anymore.. we gotta fool others

(thats what i think of anyways, which is probably why my daughter and son laugh their heads off at some of those shows).

I remember tall tales told, my granddaddy used to tell tall tales of the woods behind our house being haunted by the pple who lived in the house that burned down over 100 yrs ago (there was an old root cellar and burned material by it, so the truth of the story is that there was a cabin that had burned down).. the pple who lived there died and was haunting the woods.

Now the reason he told these tales is because us kids would often hike in the woods and he didnt want us trampling the pot he had growing there or to mess with the still

*grins*

Posted Image

#30    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

My grandma was a Choctaw from Oklahoma but your's sounds a lot like her

Also tagged with aliens, ancient

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users