Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Scratching Noises On My Stairs

Belle13

Hey guys, I just joined this site today hoping to find an answer to something that has really been bothering me for some years now.

I'm 22 years old now, but when the incident occurred I was about 16/17. There has always been strange little things happening around our family but nothing ever serious or even scary! For example one of the most memorable occurrences for me happened when I was a little younger I woke one night to see a woman figure standing beside my bed, her face wasn't defined but she wore a soft pink jumper and her bottoms were beige, she held a black leather book in her right hand with a gold cross on it. I was completely at ease with the situation and felt so calm and safe that I simply turned on my other side and went back to sleep. When I told my mum about this she said her grandmother almost always wore the same pink jumper.

So anyway, as I was saying nothing terrible or frightening had ever happened up to this point when one night I was staying up late reading and it was about 12.30 to 1.00am when I heard a strange noise on the stairs, I initially ignored it and continued reading. Then I head a very distinct scratch, and it happened again but a little louder, this was when I started to get scared so I called for my mum whose bedroom is across the hall from mine, when I called for her the scratching became louder, faster and more furious up the stairs. At this point I was completely terrified and was screaming for my mum. Might I add that my room is directly at the top of the stairs.

As soon I as I heard her walk on to the landing the noises stopped completely. My mother hadn't heard anything but I was so shaken that I didn't sleep in my room for weeks after.

Ever since then whenever I come home from college I feel completely uneasy in my room, as though I can constantly feel someone's eyes on me, some nights I even have to sleep with the light on. I've never been afraid of the dark or anything like that, in face the darker the room the better I usually sleep.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I would love to finally have an answer as to what this was or what it all ment.

Also apologies for the almost essay :)

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me except in the ceiling right above my bed. It turned out to be mice.

• Like 2

Could have been a dream. Sometimes when you wake up you are still partially asleep and you can experience auditory or visual hallucinations.

Perhaps you seen a picture of your great grandmother somewhere and it projected in the dream. The fact that you ignored the person and went back to sleep may indicate that it never occurred, because that is not the normal response. Beyond that as I've mentioned before the human memory is unreliable, you may even be remembering a dream as a real event.

I just want to mention as well that a pink jumper... Did jumpsuits even exist back then? Does not sound like it matches the time but I know nothing of fashion.

Heres something from my own experience. One day I woke up, there was purple light shining through my window and my walls were vibrating. There was a loud noise that I can only describe as sounding like some high tech machine.

I did not understand what was going on, I ignored it and went back to bed. The next morning I asked my parents if they heard the house vibrating but neither of them did.

Did this event actually happen? I thought it did but realistically it was probably a dream.

Otherwise I would have investigated the noise and walls. I would have looked out the window to see what was causing the light. I did none of these things which is why I think it never actually occurred.

Memories are tricky

Rats in the walls.

• Like 1

Thank for the feedback! However I did forget to address the rats/mice thing. We've never had any issue with rats or mice in our home, my mum works in health and safety and is acutely aware of how and when they enter the home and has ever nook and cranny sealed. Also doors & windows are never left open in Autumn & winter, there are traps set in the attic, behind wardrobes, under stairs and nothing. Putting all that aside, I know what I heard couldn't even possibly be explained with rats or mice, unless there was a plague of them coming up the stairs all at once.

I would like to agree with you and finally have an answer but I know rats or mice don't explain it.

Could have been a dream. Sometimes when you wake up you are still partially asleep and you can experience auditory or visual hallucinations.

Perhaps you seen a picture of your great grandmother somewhere and it projected in the dream. The fact that you ignored the person and went back to sleep may indicate that it never occurred, because that is not the normal response. Beyond that as I've mentioned before the human memory is unreliable, you may even be remembering a dream as a real event.

I just want to mention as well that a pink jumper... Did jumpsuits even exist back then? Does not sound like it matches the time but I know nothing of fashion.

Heres something from my own experience. One day I woke up, there was purple light shining through my window and my walls were vibrating. There was a loud noise that I can only describe as sounding like some high tech machine.

I did not understand what was going on, I ignored it and went back to bed. The next morning I asked my parents if they heard the house vibrating but neither of them did.

Did this event actually happen? I thought it did but realistically it was probably a dream.

Otherwise I would have investigated the noise and walls. I would have looked out the window to see what was causing the light. I did none of these things which is why I think it never actually occurred.

Memories are tricky

Thanks for your reply! Perhaps you may be right about this but I don't think I've never seen a pic of my great grandmother (my mothers family didn't have a camera back then).

Also in Ireland what we call jumpers are what you call sweaters. I doubt they had jumpsuits back then too :)

Like others have said it could be mice or rats. The colder months are setting in now so they will be looking for somewhere warm. Also as the cold nights are drawing in your house will start to contract, wood will buckle and make all sorts of weird noises.

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me except in the ceiling right above my bed. It turned out to be mice.

That reminds me of some friends' story years ago. They'd lie in bed an night and hear the rats scurrying above them. Back and forth and back and forth. Then one time they heard a rat scurrying across above them and the sound abruptly stopped.

The fricken thing had fallen through a hole onto their bed!!!!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Like others have said it could be mice or rats. The colder months are setting in now so they will be looking for somewhere warm. Also as the cold nights are drawing in your house will start to contract, wood will buckle and make all sorts of weird noises.

Thanks for your comment, but like I said above it certainly wasn't rats or mice. We've been living in the house 13 years now so we'r kinda used to all its moans and groans and strange noises, what I heard was an extremely aggressive scratching.

Thank for the feedback! However I did forget to address the rats/mice thing. We've never had any issue with rats or mice in our home, my mum works in health and safety and is acutely aware of how and when they enter the home and has ever nook and cranny sealed. Also doors & windows are never left open in Autumn & winter, there are traps set in the attic, behind wardrobes, under stairs and nothing. Putting all that aside, I know what I heard couldn't even possibly be explained with rats or mice, unless there was a plague of them coming up the stairs all at once.

I would like to agree with you and finally have an answer but I know rats or mice don't explain it.

You should read the H.P.Lovecraft story, The Rats in the Walls.

Mice or rats. Chipmunks and squirrels can make even louder scratching noises. Sometimes birds can get in and make some ruckus too. The one thing it isn't is something paranormal or supernatural. It's far too common to simply brush off simply because you assume there are no vermin in your house. Don't underestimate them--they can get anywhere and everywhere.

Welcome to the forums!

just because there is no mice or rats caught in the traps, doesnt mean they are not there.

its extremely hard to seal a house up, if they want to get in they will find a way and unless you check everyday, you will never be sure.

rats can swim up drains and pop out the toilet. a mouse could quite easily climb up a sink waste pipe although getting any where would be harder.

You seem so sure it isnt rodents, yet it was 5 years ago?

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment, but like I said above it certainly wasn't rats or mice. We've been living in the house 13 years now so we'r kinda used to all its moans and groans and strange noises, what I heard was an extremely aggressive scratching.

I grew up in the woods, and now live in the woods. Had mice then and have mice now. The thing with the house we're in now, all sorts of animals have gotten in. Granted we have cats now, so most of the time the cats take care of that, but we have from time to time, squirrels. They have gotten into the attic and we heard all sorts of scratching from up there to in the walls and near the stairs where we couldn't believe they could get into, between the walls. There was even a tiny scratching sound I would hear from time to time. My husband has since found the holes and patched them up.

Although, I am not forgetting that you described your grandma's attire, and didn't know until you asked your mom. Now, I have had many various experiences while in bed and in between going to sleep and waking up, so I am always up in the air of them.

I have not been on here for a while, and your thread is one of the first I have seen. I am active in the deliverance ministry. I have cleansed many a house with similar problems. First you must eliminate all physical realm possibilities. Then you are left with only one.

One thing you can do is set a digital recorder at the top of the stairs for a few hours during the night. When you review the recording, do it somewhere very quiet. Some of the things you may here will be very faint. You may hear speaking, yelling, growling or footsteps. It all depends on how active a haunting you have.

If you have a video recorder, you may set that up at the top of your stairs as well. You may want to record yourself as you sleep also. Set the camera up as far from the bed as possible to get the widest field of view. What ever you do, do not provoke it! If you don't care about investigation, contact me privetly and I will tell you how to cleanse the house.

I have not been on here for a while, and your thread is one of the first I have seen. I am active in the deliverance ministry. I have cleansed many a house with similar problems.

Wait...you're an exterminator?

Wait...you're an exterminator?

Wait, I think you're onto something. I can see a reality show idea out of this...

*lightning crash and heavy metal music*

'Meet Ben Dover! He's a well trained vermin exterminator with an eye for creativity and a thirst for action. With over 20 years experience in the exterminator game, he and his team leave no unwanted critter behind in their fight to save homes and the people who own them!

*lightning crashes*

But what if no amount of trained recon can find the source of the household turmoil..?

*lightning crashes and spooky music fades in*

That's when his spiritual instincts and lifelong experience as a spirit medium come to work! It's time for Dover and his team of paranormal investigators turn off the lights for 'ghost time', where their investigation and action takes a tech turn! They use the most sophisticated surveillance equipment, alongside the natural gifts Ben Dover was born with, to pinpoint the source of the paranormal disturbance and send it packing!

*lightning crashes and heavy metal music returns*

This November, join Ben Dover and his team of pest control/ghost hunters as they send spiders AND spirits packing..! Unwanted guests are his business.. and business is good... meet 'The Extercist'

*lightning crashes*

preston.jpg

'..this show is for entertainment purposes only, and some events are recreations based on true stories and witness accounts..'

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1